Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Gift of Gracias Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Natalia,

That's such a great story.

Margot, the website says the feast is Jan 6. (??)

We were just invited out for a potluck tonight, so I'm looking for orange recipes....hehe Dawn, guess what comes up 2nd on Google under lady altagracia recipes? By Sun and by Candlelight    We have a bowl of oranges on our Lady's altar also!

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote margot helene

momwise wrote:

Margot, the website says the feast is Jan 6. (??)

Yes, that one (catholic media)with the line drawing says January 6. I did also find one other source that gave Jan 6 as the feast day. But Catholic Forum's patron saint pages gives Jan 21 as does
LATIN AMERICAN MARIAN FEAST DAYS
UNITED STATES LITURGICAL CALENDAR
and here also
So perhaps Jan 21 is the commemoration date in US calendars? I'm glad to have it later in the month!
Margot
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Natalia wrote:
I just thought I'd share

And I am so glad you did! What a beautiful story! I will be reading that to our boys tomorrow too.

MaryM wrote:
Anyone have great recipes using oranges?

I realize that this comes rather late in the game, but I thought I'd post in case anyone is making a small grocery run on the way home from Mass tomorrow (like me    ). Tangerine Chess Pie. I've had this recipe clipped for years and have yet to make it. I hope tomorrow's the day! It gives a variation for Orange Chess Pie too.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

margot helene wrote:
[So perhaps Jan 21 is the commemoration date in US calendars? I'm glad to have it later in the month!
Margot

The feast day of Nuestra Seņora de la Altagracia is commemorated in the Dominican Republic on Jan 21st. In fact it is a national holiday.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote margot helene

Natalia wrote:

The feast day of Nuestra Seņora de la Altagracia is commemorated in the Dominican Republic on Jan 21st. In fact it is a national holiday.

Natalia

Thanks Natalia!
I'm glad I got it right for Catholic Mosaic!!
Just goes to show that you have to check out what's on the web. Happy Feast Day!!!
Margot
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

cathhomeschool wrote:
I realize that this comes rather late in the game, but I thought I'd post in case anyone is making a small grocery run on the way home from Mass tomorrow (like me    ). Tangerine Chess Pie.

Yummm...I didn't have time to make it but I did make Dawn's Orange Snowballs. Wow, those were simple. 40 min. before we left the house I popped them in the oven and arrived at the potluck while they were still very warm. Didn't have the orange drink mix to roll them with the powdered sugar but the orange taste was very subtle and delicious! I recommend these cookies when you need something fast.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

momwise wrote:
[! I recommend these cookies when you need something fast.

I second this recommendation. I just made this afternoon for our teatime. Delicious!!
Thanks Dawn!

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Oh, I'm so glad!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Today was a success! I have invited my friend and her six yo ds to do Catholic Mosaic (sometimes other living books) with us once a week. She has one other ds in school. He is 13. Between those 2 boys she had 5 miscarriages so she considers Andrew her little miracle. I had it on my heart to invite him over once a week for "family learning" time and I know this is something his mother longed for. So I did, and Our Lady of Altagracia was the first book.

I planned a lot of activities. We didn't do them all , but we had a great time with what we did. Including making yummy orange snowballs. We tasted oranges and tangerines. We narrated the story and also how the fruit tastes. Andrew had this description "...like strings and orange juice." We made holy cards. And some other things...It was all very relaxed, just flowing from one thing to the next, with lots of time for active bodies to move around. Just perfect.

Best of all was my joy in seeing my children really minister to Andrew, to love him like one of their own siblings, and encourage each other and learn.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

msclavel wrote:
I had it on my heart to invite him over once a week for "family learning" time and I know this is something his mother longed for. So I did, and Our Lady of Altagracia was the first book.

How beautiful - what a blessing you and your family are to this family.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

msclavel wrote:
Today was a success!

I loved reading this, Maria.
God Bless your family and little Andrew.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Natalia wrote:
I wanted to share a story about La Virgen de La Altagracia. If you remember I am from the Dominican Republic. La Altagracia is our patroness and people are very devoted to her. My own grandfather who was a good man but didn't care for church went to mass once a year: for her feast day. When he was late into his 80s la Virgen came to him in a dream. I don't remember the dream -I think he was sick and was healed after the dream. After the dream he made his first communion. I remember being invited to it. It took place in his library. A priest came to his house (he couldn't walk at the time) and he was surrounded by a lot of his grandchildren. It was a glorious moment. He died well at 91 or 92 a faithful communicant. Our Lady of la Altagracia did what she does best:point to her son.

I just thought I'd shared,

Natalia

This is amazing!

I had not seen this thread, believe it or not, but just today, I was looking for information on Our Lady of Altagracia because the new Marian Friendship Board, "Hidden Treasure," is dedicated to Our Lady under this title! The board opened on January 21st, so she seemed like the perfect patroness.

In my research, I found "A Gift of Gracias: The Legend of Altragracia," and immediately recognized the cover as a Mosaic Title. Here I come now, and find that you dear, wonderful ladies have a full blown discussion going on!

Obviously, Our Lady of Altragracia loves us, because she is making her presence well known here at 4Real!!!!! Natalia, that's a great story--I had never even heard of this title until this week, and now I feel such a warmness toward Our Lady of Altagracia. It will be so much fun to learn all we can about her.

Our Lady of Altagracia, pray for us!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I am so pleased you shared the personal story Natalia, I think it helps create a greater reality of this beautiful title of Our Lady that I had not know much about until I bought this book very recently. The 21st of January would be a great name day for my Grace.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Dawn wrote:
And when we have tea that week, we'll serve decaf. orange spice with orange snowballs (a variation on my lemon snowballs).

Dear Dawn,

Could you please point me in the direction of your cookie recipe?

Thank you!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Brenda, here is my post about the Lemon Snowballs. I just used orange extract and orange flavored Kool-aid instead of the lemon.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Helen just posted a new thread about Our Lady of Altagracia at Hidden Treasure:

Altagracia & the Treasure Map

Dawn, I think I am the only person in cyber-dom who has not yet sampled your legendary lemon snowballs, but I can't wait! Hopefully this weekend!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

alicegunther wrote:

Dawn, I think I am the only person in cyber-dom who has not yet sampled your legendary lemon snowballs, but I can't wait!

Well. Not. Quite.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 4:34am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Alice and Cay, if I thought they'd make the trip, I'd mail you each a box of cookies! (Or better yet, if I could, I'd show up on your doorstep with a basketful!)

KellyinPA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote KellyinPA

I made Dawn's lemon snowballs at Christmas but think it's time for another batch. Hope I have enough powdered sugar in the house!

the abundant life
Back to Top View KellyinPA's Profile Search for other posts by KellyinPA

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Cay Gibson wrote:
alicegunther wrote:

Dawn, I think I am the only person in cyber-dom who has not yet sampled your legendary lemon snowballs, but I can't wait!

Well. Not. Quite.

I finish the triangle. I also haven't sampled them.

Natalia, I keep forgetting to comment that I was so moved by your Altagracia story.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version