Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Lenten Calendars/ Dumb Ox Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Trying to get ahead of the game for once...

Years ago, I used to purchase Lenten calendars for the kids and for myself from Dumb Ox Publications. Are they still around? Does anyone remember those? They had pictures to color and an activity or sacrifice for each day. Any suggestions for another similar product if Dumb Ox isn't around anymore?

Thanks!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

They sound great, Molly. I haven't seen them, so can't help on that, I'm afraid.

I do make a Lenten calendar for my kids -- little ones especially like to do this:

On poster board, draw a large picture of a lamb. I have used, as a model, the clip art I found here. .

Divide the body into squares to make a calendar, covering the entire period of Lent. Each day, the kids glue a cottonball (or a few, depending on how big the squares and how eager the little hands) on that day’s space. This gives them a concrete picture of the length of Lent.

Then, we usually do something separate as far as daily sacrifices.

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Wow, thanks! That is really cool! What a great finished project.

We do the beans in a jar for sacrifices, along with the crown of thorns wreath with toothpicks for thorns.

I like the visual that shows our progress, too. So I will use your idea.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Hi, Molly --

We love the bean jar, too.

We also did a "Lenten crown of thorns" last Lent. My friend gave us the idea, and directed me through it, step by step, which I usually need with craft projects.

We made salt dough crowns (a wreath shape) by braiding the salt dough and forming it into a circle. Into the dough we inserted six candle holders, for each of the weeks of Lent. Throughout Lent, we lit a candle each week, just as we do in Advent, to count down the days and add a special sense of anticipation to the coming of Easter.

When Easter arrived, we spray-painted the crown gold and decorated with silk flowers and ribbon.

It was beautiful, and my kids loved it!

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Long, long ago I bought a game from Dumb Ox. It was a Catholic version of the board game Chutes and Ladders.

I can't seem to find the game though I know it is somewheres in this house. The children all loved this game.

The game can wait but I really need to know the name of the game. Does anyone else know what game I'm talking about? The title?

Thank you.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 17 2007 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Julie (Trinity Acres) has an amazing post on her blog, with downloadable calendar pages she adapted from the ones Dumb Ox used to provide. I am so excited she has made these available to us! Thanks, Julie!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

KellyinPA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote KellyinPA

Karen E. wrote:

We made salt dough crowns (a wreath shape) by braiding the salt dough and forming it into a circle. Into the dough we inserted six candle holders, for each of the weeks of Lent. Throughout Lent, we lit a candle each week, just as we do in Advent, to count down the days and add a special sense of anticipation to the coming of Easter.

I love all these ideas! I read something recently about lighting candles for Lent, almost opposite of what we do for Advent. The idea is to light all the candles one week and each week light one less until Good Friday when all the candles would be out until Easter Morning when you would relight all the candles again. I thought this may be a good visual for the children as well as myself.

the abundant life
Back to Top View KellyinPA's Profile Search for other posts by KellyinPA

rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

Thank you Julie!

These are exactly what I need!

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Julie, your Lenten calendar is so wonderful! Thank you for sharing it with all of us. What a blessing!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Cay Gibson wrote:
Long, long ago I bought a game from Dumb Ox. It was a Catholic version of the board game Chutes and Ladders.

I can't seem to find the game though I know it is somewheres in this house. The children all loved this game.

The game can wait but I really need to know the name of the game. Does anyone else know what game I'm talking about? The title?

Thank you.

Is it "Journey to Jesus"?

Also, here is some contact information for Dumb Ox press (it looks like they only have a paper catalog and no website):
Keeping it Catholic

I just scrolled further down and found a listing for "Journey to Jesus" under Salve Regina Catholic Books, but I couldn't find it on their site... I may not have looked in the right place either.

God Bless!
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

I just called them & left my address. Apparently there is no catalog yet, but one is due to come out.

Julie, You're a gem! I loved that calendar! Thank you for putting this together!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Jane Ramsey
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2007 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote Jane Ramsey

Julie,
This is great! Thank you!
Back to Top View Jane Ramsey's Profile Search for other posts by Jane Ramsey

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2007 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Thank you so much Julie,

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version