Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Gregorian chant? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I am interested in purchasing (or borrowing, if my library has some) Gregorian chant to listen to at home with the boys. This would be a branch of our middle ages study this year. I did an Amazon search and there are just so many to choose from, I can't tell what's what.

Any advice is most appreciated!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

Dawn, my browser isn't allowing me to hyperlink this, but here is the CD that our family has been enjoying lately.

http://www.amazon.com/Salve-Regina-Gregorian-Chant/dp/B00000 40ZC/sr=8-5/qid=1168370561/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/104-6445220-07887 11?ie=UTF8&s=music

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

KASB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote KASB

Dawn, an excellent resource for sacred music and chant is
Saint Cecilia Schola Cantorum
They have oodles of great resources linked and also hold a workshop on sacred music. My daughter went last year and will be going again in February. If anyone else will be going, please let me know.Scott Turkington will be conducting and he is outstanding.

Blessings,
Kym
mom to 9 - 8 boys (24,14,10,9,7,4,3,17 mos.) and 1 girl(22)
Back to Top View KASB's Profile Search for other posts by KASB

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Is this yours Katherine?

I see your recommendation for Saint Cecilia Schola Cantorum (and heartily agree) and raise you...

Some cds that are excellent with nun chanting can be found here Abbey of Regina Laudis (Dawn, I would go on a road trip if I lived near you in a heartbeat).

Their cds can be found on Amazon, too. These nuns were trained by Dr. Theodore Marier (God rest his soul), who was one of the top Gregorian Chant and liturgical music experts in the country, trained by the monks at Solesmes. So what makes these cds unique is that the chant is done "correctly." (His claim to fame was also compiling the Pius X hymnal, then Hymns, Songs and Canticles, and one of his last projects he helped on the Adoremus Hymnal).

I have had my eye on the Master Class that they offer. Years ago I took a class taught by him and I would love the refresher course. I'll have to remember that for my birthday. So let's see, I'm asking for Typepad account, Gregorian Chant class....it's my 40th, so I'm asking big.

Some overwhelming amount of information on Gregorian Chant:

Sacred Music Association. Excellent resource, start here. I've mentioned the Ward method, which is teaching the basics of music and chant to children. Marier and Ward worked together for years.

To get the male version of Solesme style Gregorian chant, see their abbey site here, or American Customers here.

Gregorian Chant Info

Chant Links.

That should keep you busy.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Ah! I was about to post when I decided to wait for Jenn to come in with the great links and suggestions...

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

KASB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote KASB

JennGM wrote:
Is this
I have had my eye on the Master Class that they offer. Years ago I took a class taught by him and I would love the refresher course. I'll have to remember that for my birthday. So let's see, I'm asking for Typepad account, Gregorian Chant class....it's my 40th, so I'm asking big.    

Well as long as you're asking big , just come on down here for the workshop in February. Scott Turkington trained under Dr. Marier and finished his Master Class book --- I think that would be a great bithday present

Blessings,
Kym
mom to 9 - 8 boys (24,14,10,9,7,4,3,17 mos.) and 1 girl(22

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

JennGM wrote:
Is this yours Katherine?

I see your recommendation for Saint Cecilia Schola Cantorum (and heartily agree) and raise you...

Yes, that's it Jenn. And since I have a pitiful poker face, I'll have to fold. My Gregorian Chant knowledge is limited. But hey, if you're ever in the market for some Byzantine Chant, I'm your woman!

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

KASB wrote:
JennGM wrote:
Is this

Well as long as you're asking big , just come on down here for the workshop in February. Scott Turkington trained under Dr. Marier and finished his Master Class book --- I think that would be a great bithday present

I've met Scott Turkington. Fabulous. He's doing the Colloquium here. Plus in the summer there are the Ward Method Workshops at CUA. That's my big aim -- IF I'm not pregnant, IF I can find someone to watch Gregory, IF it works in the budget and schedule, to take Class 2.

Big ifs....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Thank you all for the links and ideas! I am very excited to have some background to go on.

JennGM wrote:
Some cds that are excellent with nun chanting can be found here Abbey of Regina Laudis (Dawn, I would go on a road trip if I lived near you in a heartbeat).

Oh, wow, I've never heard of them. Hmmm ... I'll have to see how far Bethlehem, CT is.

JennGM wrote:
That should keep you busy.

Happily so!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

KASB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote KASB

The Colloquium sounds wonderful - I know my daughter would love to attend. It's the week before my son's wedding though ( I was a child bride ) but the wedding is in VA, so maybe we could figure out something. The hard part is because she's in a wheelchair I need to be with her to help her get around, and I supect I might be busy with whatever a mother of the groom does the week before the big day.

I chanced upon a GORGEOUS book by Justine Ward last year - Catholic Education Series: Music Fourth Year- Gregorian Chant. I am hoping to use it with the boys at some point - first I need to teach myself more though!

Blessings,
Kym

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

KASB wrote:
I chanced upon a GORGEOUS book by Justine Ward last year - Catholic Education Series: Music Fourth Year- Gregorian Chant. I am hoping to use it with the boys at some point - first I need to teach myself more though!

YES! YES! YES! I found that book one year and that started me on this Gregorian Chant many moons ago (that and my mother's interest, too). After finding that I've been on the search for other Catholic music books that she did, or series, like "To God Through Music", We Sing series, Tone and Rythm, The Catholic Music Hour, etc. It's amazing what got thrown out just because everyone *thought* Vatican II was telling them to do so!

Seems the Justine Ward did 3 different music series, the latter two have the chironomy and such for the chant. The texts for the Ward Method classes are revised manuals of her work. CUA Press caries them. You have to scroll down the menu for "Ward Method" to see the titles. If you're trying to do a refresher or teach yourself, this will be a much easier approach.

Also, if you can find it (try bookfinder.com) find "The Gregorian Chant Manual of The Catholic Music Hour" by Most Rev. Joseph Schrembs et al, 1935, Silver, Burdett and Company. This was the training manual for the music teachers...

KASB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote KASB

Thanks for all the information, Jenn ! I do have a couple of the other books you mentioned but haven't done much with those either. I will be on the lookout for The Gregorian Chant Manual of The Catholic Music Hour - it sounds like a treasure!

Blessings,
Kym

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Just saw this streaming link via Amy Welborne's blog.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

What about this particular CD?
Gregorian Channt Rediscovered
Okay, I think I just did something new technologically.
Hope it works.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

MacBeth wrote:
Just saw this streaming link

This is great! I've been listening all afternoon.   

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Carole N. wrote:
What about this particular CD?
Gregorian Channt Rediscovered
Okay, I think I just did something new technologically.
Hope it works.

Anything by the Monks of Solesmes is great!

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Thanks, Jenn. I have added it to my list. This is going to be a fun middle ages study--just the way school should be.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version