Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Feingold Program Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Dawn, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of fish oil did you use? I'm just wondering if it was flavoured and the flavouring affected Earlybird?

We've been pleased with Fish oil for our LogoBoy and I do think that the fatty acids are very beneficial to mental processing but I'm sure not everyone can take it. Maybe flax would be an alternative?

Sorry, I'm done hijacking the thread now!

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Taffy wrote:
Dawn, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of fish oil did you use? I'm just wondering if it was flavoured and the flavouring affected Earlybird?

Taffy, we did use NordicNaturals - I can't remember now if they were strawberry or orange. I remember my dh calling me from Wild Oats and asking which flavor to buy and me saying "Just choose!"

Maybe we should revisit this; I didn't know there were unflavored varities. And you mention flax - do you mean oil, or ground seed? Does this help in a similar way?

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

My understanding with flax is that either the oil or the ground seed can be used, you just need to use more seed to equal the content in oil (sorry, not sure of the ratio but it might say so on the bottle). It's more palatable than fish oil and easier to sneak into the diet in salad dressings or adding the seed into oatmeal for instance. It can give one the runs if you use too much so you probably have to build up a tolerance.

I think that flax has to be processed by the body to access the EFAs and the oils have to be processed as well by the body. The fish oil is supposed to be easier for the body to use. And I'm not sure if flax oil is as complete as fish oil is and that's why it's often combined with borage oil.

Personally, we stick with the fish oil because of this but I think that the flax oil would be preferable to none.

Hope this helps some. I'm afraid I may have simply added to the confusion. I'm sure that the Nordic Naturals will be available without added flavour. Another issue could have been with the gelatin in the capsule so you may want to try the liquid form...

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

As far as flax oil goes... I can't swallow huge gelatin capsules, so I just buy flax oil capsules, cut them open, and mix the oil in juice or milk. You can't taste flax oil the way you can fish oil! (It's not perfect, but I figure it's better than nothing.)

--Angela

Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2007 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Is orange juice allowed on this diet?

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

rivendellmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 15 2007 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote rivendellmom

Well, I signed up and got my getting started list from the Feingold foundation. I got the Feingold cookbook from the library, and we've had Declan (well all of us -really)on the program for a couple days.
We had one slip this weekend when someone who shall remain un-named took the kids to McDonalds.
Declan has a nasty diaper rash which I think is from the sweet and sour sauce. His behavior had improved a lot before that.
My real question is this, since I am still nursing him, should I stop drinking tea and coffee? If I should I really will have to ease off of it, I don't think I could go cold turkey- with no caffeine. Any thoughts?

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 15 2007 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

St. Ann wrote:

A good friend of mine that I just learned has been on the diet for almost 14years told me that orange juice was not allowed on the diet for the same reasons that apple juice was not.

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2007 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

fsuadamson wrote:
St. Ann wrote:

A good friend of mine that I just learned has been on the diet for almost 14years told me that orange juice was not allowed on the diet for the same reasons that apple juice was not.

That is right, but it is only for Stage one. At Stage two you begin reintroducing things (including oranges) to see what your child is tolerant of.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2007 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

rivendellmom wrote:
We had one slip this weekend when someone who shall remain un-named took the kids to McDonalds.

Jen, some things are allowed at MacDonalds and other chains. When you subscribe you get a Fast Food Guide along with the other materials. My little guy LOVES McD's plain hamburgers and is very good about his brothers eating other things (though we do kind of hide the fries and chicken mcnuggets from his view ). That sweet and sour sauce probably has lots of preservatives and artifical colors. These are always HUGE triggers for my son.

rivendellmom wrote:
My real question is this, since I am still nursing him, should I stop drinking tea and coffee? If I should I really will have to ease off of it, I don't think I could go cold turkey- with no caffeine. Any thoughts?

I can't remember now about the coffee - is that not Feingold/Stage One? See, I was not nursing when EB started. Cold turkey would be very difficult I would think. Maybe, if you do need to give it up, gradual would be better?

rivendellmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 15 2007 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote rivendellmom

Stage one said: water, 7up/sprite, milk, pear/pineapple juice.
It doesn't mention tea or coffee so I'm guessing their not allowed. I should get my materials in the mail this week and maybe that will tell me in more detail. I didn't even notice because he's not drinking either, but then I wondered about the fact that I'm nursing. So, I'm cutting back only 2 cups of tea this morning. I can cut out coffee entirely- its my Irish tea that gets me through the day!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2007 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

You know what my son loves to drink in addition to pear juice, is Vruit. Have you ever seen that? It comes in various blends. Stage one can do Tropical Blend which is carrot and pineapple. It is orange in color so it might help if anyone has a child who wants his juice "orange."

We also make smoothies with yogurt, bananas, cantaloupes and/or pineapple. Also, Dole Mixed Tropical Salad (canned) is approved and it makes a delicious smoothie.

Watermelon is also stage one and we make "coolers" with that in the summer.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2007 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I wanted to mention that I have been doing some posts on how we "do Feingold." Here is the index of posts.

rivendellmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 16 2007 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote rivendellmom

Thanks Dawn!
I wish we were just limited to feingold! Amazing how that seemed so limiting- and now we've given up wheat,dairy,nuts, and corn!
The good news is that Declan is feeling much better and starts both OT and speech next week!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version