Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Our 2007 Book List Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 01 2007 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Okay, here we go! Time to start for 2007!

We will keep a list of all of the books we read this year. Everytime you finish a book.........you just post it here.

If it is a duplicate of a previous book mentioned.........list it anyway.    

Consider it a survey of Catholic homeschool moms' reading choices.    

Let's capitalize the titles, and always remember the author! If you want, take the time to put the title in color........so it can catch our eye.

Be prepared to talk about your book choices sometimes!

Happy reading!

Wonder who will have the most posts in this year????

Thanks to all of you who have made last year's list such fun! Let's keep it up!

Joelle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 01 2007 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Joelle

THY WILL BE DONE! by St. Francis de Sales "Fifty-eight letters to sould troubled by problems that afflict each of us today: anger, frustration, grief and sickness, difficulties in praying and even lack of faith--with wise, practical remedies for each." Very encouraging and helpful in abandoning ourselves to God's will. Even topics that I thought, "well this doesn't apply to me, but I'll read it anyhow..." they still spoke to me!
Blessings to all in the new year! Joelle.
Back to Top View Joelle's Profile Search for other posts by Joelle

Jennifer C
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 01 2007 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote Jennifer C

I just finished Traitors Gate by Anne Perry. Set in Victorian London, husband/wife team (he's a superintendant of police, she an aristocrat who married "beneath" her station for true love)w/many wonderful characters. Great escape literature, but also does exceeding well on the mood & mores of the Victorians.
   In the past few days finished 2 Graham Greene's - THE HEART OF THE MATTER and THE HUMAN FACTOR. Both sort of spy genre but also(especially The Heart of the Matter) serious Catholic issues of God's forgiveness & sin.    I enjoy Greene, but need to read him before 10:00 pm (my escape lit gets read late, but I don't need to react or retain the info in same way).
    At my bedside is WHY JOHNNY CAN'T TELL RIGHT FROM WRONG by William Kilpatrick - I read a chapter every few days. Great look at the importance of literature in formation of our children w/terrific annotated book lists at the end.
     I have a Trollop sitting here but can't seem to get into it - will try again - and have 2 of Bob Royal's books, THE POPE'S ARMY: 500 Year History of the Swiss Guard and his latest on the influence of Christianity on the preservation of civilization.
    I'll let you know when I've finished these, but hope to get great ideas from everyone here.
    Jennifer C. in Arlington, VA
Back to Top View Jennifer C's Profile Search for other posts by Jennifer C

momwats8
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote momwats8

A good light read is by Richard Paul Evans called "Finding Noel" It was very touching and I read it in 2 days. If looking for a quick read that will keep you gong I think you will like this. It also talks about unconditional love and hope.

http://www.momwats8.blogspot.com
Back to Top View momwats8's Profile Search for other posts by momwats8 Visit momwats8's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I finished the third Katherine Valentine novel called GRACE WILL LEAD ME HOME. I enjoyed it even more than the first two.

I just requested that my library order the fourth and fifth book in the series and they agreed! I can't wait until they come in. I'll have to wait until after the 5th book is published in March for that one.

And welcome, Jennifer! It's good to see you here.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I just read Charles Williams
All Hallows Eve.   Oldest son is reading Williams while home on vacation so I thought I would try again. To read Williams, that is; I read a book of his in college and thought it was a bit strange.   This one I really enjoyed, though it was a bit strange too.

Before that I read Sigrid Undset The Axe

Then I read Pamela Aidan An Assembly Such as This -- story based on Austen's Pride and Prejudice, from Darcy's pov -- my daughter checked it out of the library.   

Now I am reading:   Home Education by Charlotte Mason -- actually, rereading, and trying to take notes.

I am also rereading

And the Skylark Sings with Me.   It is a book about homeschooling.

No spiritual reading right now beyond Magnificat--
and a book about the liturgical year -- can't remember the title or author right now.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I just read:

Blue Shoes and Happiness the latest in the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith.

Devices and Desires by P.D James. She writes good mysteries but it makes you wonder what kind of mind can come up with stuff like that.

A Gathering of Angels the second book in the Katherine Valentine's series. I found it at Half Price Books while I was in San Antonio.

The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans. My mil lend me her collection of his books. It was a sweet, quick read.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

anncap
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote anncap

Willa,

Did you enjoy An Assembly Such as This? Or should I leave my favorite novel alone? Thanks

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2007 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

I have finished up these two books since the start of the year:

Moving to The Country once and for all by Lisa Rogak

this book was a disappointment to me, as I found it poorly written and organized...which is kind of ironic since this author makes a living at writing from her home in the country

and

At Home in Midford by Jan Karon

I read this after it made the thread in this forum.....I was a bit confused when the bishop was bragging about his having found a good wife and recommending that father Tim do the same ....it was not until page 74! that you know for sure that he is an Anglican priest!

Anyway.....it is an enjoyable story and I am now attached to the interesting characters and I have ordered the next books from the library.

I have finally found a spiritual book to read, one that was just put into my lap!

happy reading! I am off to take the kids skiing today.....brrrr! It was only 5* at the ski park this am!

Ouiz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote Ouiz

BY WHAT AUTHORITY: AN EVANGELICAL DISCOVERS CATHOLIC TRADITION (Mark Shea)

This book is fantastic -- funny, well-thought through, and written in an engaging style. I would consider it a "quick-er read," (simply because of his style) but NOT "light reading" by ANY means. In his attempt to answer modern Biblical "scholars" (such as the Jesus Seminar folks) who treat the Gospels as made-up stories, Mark Shea found himself making the incredible journey from an evangelical confident of Sola Scriptura to a man who came to believe in and accept the authority of Catholic Tradition (big "T"). I greatly respect his desire to follow the Lord at all costs, and the amazing amount of time and research that he devoted to seeking wisdom. He shares his bewilderment as he found himself getting closer and closer to the Catholic Church, which was something he never imagined happening. It was jarring and disconcerting for him to see several beliefs that he considered to be rock solid slowly start to tumble and fall.

I highly recommend this book.

NO PRICE TOO HIGH (Alex Jones)

Wow. I knew I found find this book interesting (since I love conversion stories... don't you?), but I had no idea how much this book would affect me. Back to back, I had the opportunity to read the stories of two men whose deep desire to please the Lord and to follow Him wherever He would lead took them on a journey they never expected. Alex Jones was a Pentecostal pastor who desired to get as close as he could to the "early Church," and found through his prayer and studies that that led him, quite unwillingly at first, to the Catholic Church. The questions he asked himself as he struggled with converting -- such as "Why do this when God's presence is so plainly in this Pentecostal church?... We are growing and worshipping here. Why the need to change?.... Does this negate our faith/experiences in the past?... Why convert to Catholicism, when so many Catholics seem lukewarm at best?.... Isn't this a "step down" spiritually?" -- reminded me of my own questions and struggles when I came back (initially very unwillingly) to the Catholic Church.

What I especially liked, however, was his wife's story. Donna Jones struggled mightily with the path her husband was taking, and was quite vocal at times in her disagreement. It was only after the Lord showed her rather plainly that this was His will for her, that she was able to make that jump. I was thrilled to read how He explained the various "troublesome" doctrines of the Church -- Mary, the Saints, Purgatory, etc... through, as she wrote, "her good old KJV Bible."

I could go on and on about this, but I will simply say that this is another highly recommended book!

Chez Ouiz
Back to Top View Ouiz's Profile Search for other posts by Ouiz Visit Ouiz's Homepage

marcie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote marcie

Thank you!
I had gotten out of the habit of reading for relaxation and with recommendations for this group, I have read 3 Aunt Dimity books and A Miracle for St. Cecilia's, just this month!
I have enjoyed them so much! I have just begun A Gathering of Angels.
Thanks again.

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 12:41am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Welcome, Ouiz! Thanks for joining us. And thanks for such great book reviews!

Welcome to you, too, Marcie! I am glad you have renewed your enjoyment with reading! I get out of the habit of reading for pleasure a few times a year......because I usually find it too hard to put a book down ....so, I MUST take some space once in awhile, or I will never get anything done!

I WILL admit to being in the phase right now of not getting much done ......well, there is reading......I AM getting that done!

A Gathering of Angels has arrived from the library.......still waiting for the first book, so I can get started!

Willa..........if you see this.......someone asked you a question above (That would be Ann!)

Oh, BTW, Ann: Welcome back to 4RL!! Have not seen you in a long while........good to "see" you!

Blessings,

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

OK, I am weird. No fiction's in my bookbag right now.

I just finished Augustus: The Life of Rome's First Emperor (the author also wrote a great bio of Cicero), and Berlin Games: How the Nazis Stole the Olympic Dream. Both very interesting. Everitt's view of Augustus is much more sympathetic than that of many biographers and historians, and focuses on his administrative and political genius. The tale of the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin is just fascinating. It's not kid reading (the author is a bit too explicit about some of the side activities of the athletes and organizers), but it's a great read for sports history fans.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Ouiz wrote:
NO PRICE TOO HIGH (Alex Jones)

Wow. I knew I found find this book interesting (since I love conversion stories... don't you?), but I had no idea how much this book would affect me.

Welcome to the book club Ouiz!

No Price too High was my last listing on the 2006 thread. I loved it. We saw him speak at the Wichita Catholic family conference a few years ago and he is a very gifted preacher. I hope he writes another book.

I loved Donna's story too. Did you know there is now a video of Donna's story and a question and answer session with some of her friends (including Janet Ray)?

I gave the book to my pastor and he finished it within a week and used some of it in teaching the RCIA class!

Ouiz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote Ouiz

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! (I've introduced myself to the group at large, so I didn't think to introduce myself here...oops! I am a 39 yr old mom of 6 living in SC and I looooooooooove to read)

Chari: Thank you especially for the welcome, and the kind words!

Gwen: I think I saw that there was a video paired up with the book on Amazon. Since I was really touched by her story, that might be a fun purchase (somewhere down the line). Our DRE asked for video suggestions for the parish to make, and now I have one for her! (well, actually I have several, but this one will be a good one to add to the list). I would LOVE the opportunity to hear them speak -- not just because I find their conversion stories fascinating, but because of the passion they would bring to their message. Too often we become complacent, and we need to be reminded from time to time of the glorious gift we've been given in the Church... and in the Eucharist!!!

God bless you all and I look forward to all the good book suggestions I will be finding here!

Chez Ouiz
Back to Top View Ouiz's Profile Search for other posts by Ouiz Visit Ouiz's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 12:36am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well.. by the time I get to read most days.. it's late and I'm reading so that I don't get impatient with the baby nursing..

I tried finishing up Mark Shea's "Making Senses Out of Scripture".. it's really good.. it talks about the different senses of scripture.. literal, allagorical, moral and anagogical.. it also talks about the "big picture" of what is revealed to us in Scripture. But I found that by that hour of the day, it's "over my head" so I gave it up.

I've reread "Surprised by the Truth 2" edited by Patrick Madrid

And I just finished "Washington Irving: boy of New York" by MAbel Cleland Widdemer.. part of the Childhood of Famous Americans series.. I hadn't read any of them before and we were given some.. and I thought I'd read some of them so I'd know if I want my kids reading them or not.

I just remembered.. I also read "The Marylanders" by Anne Heagney part of the Catholic Treasury Books series.. the information was very interesting but I felt at times the story was very weak.. it's set in 1653 in Maryland.. when the Puritans who'd been given refuge from religious persecution in Maryland.. tried to overthrow the Catholic rule and persecuted the Catholics.. driving the priests out of the area and such. It was finally resolved in the Catholic favor but not before many Catholics had their possessions stripped from them and some died/were executed.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I finished two more books in the past few weeks that I've mentioned elsewhere on the Book Club forum.

SWIMMING WITH SCAPULARS by Matthew Lickona
There's an entire thread on this one. Great read.

JANE EYRE by Charlotte Bronte
I loved this book! I have a funny story about how I came to read this one. There was an article in the Washington Post about how the neighboring county's library system was discarding many good books due to lack of space. Anything that wasn't checked out in the past two years was on the chopping block, whether it was a classic or not. It mentioned that Jane Eyre was one of the possible cuts at a particular library. Well, dh was at that particular library at the same time that I was reading this article. I called him on the cell phone and asked him to check out Jane Eyre for me. I had no intention of reading the book (have others on my reading list that I had intended to get to first) but wanted to do my civic duty in keeping classics in the library system! After he brought the book home, dh encouraged me to read it and told me he thought I'd really like it. He was completely right. (Of course! )

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote momwise

I finished LEFT TO TELL: DISCOVERING GOD AMIDST THE RWANDAN HOLOCAUST by Immaculee Ilibagiza

I'm sure I saw someone else list this on the 2006 thread.

The story was so compelling I started to read Sunday morning and finished Monday morning. The author is Catholic and her most prized (and actually only) posession during the time she was in hiding was her father's Rosary. A very good encouragement to persist in prayer and improve in contemplative prayer.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I like the idea of this thread - books for me! I was glad to see you start the new thread for the new year, Chari. So let's see, books I've read recently...

Kristin Lavransdatter I, the Wreath and II, the Wife after a review last year and I loved them! I actually found them in the free bin at the library and picked them up per Gwen's recommendation. Fascinating look at old Norway, I was particularly touched by the penances given in Confession.

On my non-fiction list I've read the Tropical Cruising Handbook. Good section on weather and navigating (not celestial) the rest was pretty boring. Not enough lively stories of their own to entice one from the dock. And even though it was last published in 2005 (and so is one of the newer of this sort of book) they still talk about jaunting off to C*ba from the USA! That is so not likely to happen, with that law that says our boats can be seized and held just for talking about that island, much less actually sailing there! And not just USA documented vessels but any vessel that passes through US waters, no matter the nationality. Jeez. I didn't mean to rant off like that but it makes me so very upset that that can happen and does happen and these people are like - Go ahead! Ya gotta be caught first, heh heh heh - Idiots

Okay, on a calmer note, A Miracle for St. Cecilia's was great. I really enjoyed it and am waiting on the second from the library. I recommended it to Mom and she recommended it to Dad as they both liked Mitford. Pleasurable reading for all.

I am rereading Diving on the Edge to build up the excitement and interest in SCUBA again as our lessons are to begin soon. It's a good read for beginners, addressing concerns like choosing your instructor, why regulators cost so much, (hello! Life support equipment here!) and BRUCE, the shark.   

Just picked up (twice - how'd that happen?) Rebecca ...Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again...must be all this talk of Jane Eyre that inspired my current reread of Rebecca!

Those would be my books since January 1.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 10:36pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

momwise wrote:
I finished LEFT TO TELL: DISCOVERING GOD AMIDST THE RWANDAN HOLOCAUST by Immaculee Ilibagiza

I'm sure I saw someone else list this on the 2006 thread.

The story was so compelling I started to read Sunday morning and finished Monday morning. The author is Catholic and her most prized (and actually only) posession during the time she was in hiding was her father's Rosary. A very good encouragement to persist in prayer and improve in contemplative prayer.

That book is sitting on my dresser right now and is next on my list to read. I know someone who went to hear the author speak and she was very touched by her story. Thanks for the motivation to get it started, Gwen.

marihalojen wrote:
Just picked up (twice - how'd that happen?) Rebecca ...Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again...must be all this talk of Jane Eyre that inspired my current reread of Rebecca!

So, Jennifer, do you think I'd like Rebecca if I really enjoyed Jane Eyre? I'm not familiar with it at all.

Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version