Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Easter Vigil Notebooks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 16 2005 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Thank you very much, Meredith and Jenn. You have really made me think twice about the idea of bringing the books along with us. The girls would love the idea, and it would certainly bring the whole project full circle in a beautiful way.

Jenn, thanks for the wonderful information. I've already begun to look at the resources you so generously provided, and they are very helpful.

You asked a question about when to introduce primary sources, and it is a good one. My eldest child is 11, so we have not begun reading many church documents (other than the CCC!), but I do think the underlying documents are worth studying, even if it is the parents who do so to enhance their own understanding. One thing I like to do is share portions of Pope John Paul's words and sermons with the children. We own the book, For the Children: Life Lessons from Pope John Paul II, and it is a good one. I also occasionally print the words of the Pope if I think the girls should read them. For example, my daughter is working on a special First Communion book all her own. I printed out the Pope's message to First Communicants for her, and she was very glad to add it to her book.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2005 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Dear Friends,

I am having trouble downloading some files I would like to share with you. They are word documents containing my girls' narrations, along with printable papers for use in your own journals to save you from typing them out (The Exsultset, The Baptismal Promises, The Opening Prayers, and The Litany of Saints). I'm sure I'll be able to get them up on the message board soon, but, in the meantime, if anyone would like me to email these documents directly, please let me know in a private message or by emailing me at agunther@optonline.net.

Thanks!

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

In searching for the text of the Blessing of the Fire (before Alice mentioned that she had it all in a file), I found a couple of useful websites containing all of the prayers, order of the Mass, etc. for the Triduum.

Triduum Readings and order of the Mass (The Psalms listed are incorrect -- add one number to get correct one. If says Psalm 115, actual Psalm is 116.)

Detailed instructions/prayers/order of Mass from Dominican Friars (html)

Same file from Dominican Friars in pdf format (adobe acrobat)

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

alicegunther wrote:
You asked a question about when to introduce primary sources, and it is a good one. My eldest child is 11, so we have not begun reading many church documents (other than the CCC!), but I do think the underlying documents are worth studying, even if it is the parents who do so to enhance their own understanding. One thing I like to do is share portions of Pope John Paul's words and sermons with the children. We own the book, For the Children: Life Lessons from Pope John Paul II, and it is a good one. I also occasionally print the words of the Pope if I think the girls should read them.

I wasn't familiar with the book, but I've added it to my cart as I'm shopping for Easter books for my ds. It looks great.

A follow-up question, how do explain to your children (who aren't reading the Church documents) that there are rules and regulations (rubrics) that the priest must follow? For example, the rubrics are very specific on how and when the Paschal candle is lighted, who sings the Exsultet, where the candle is placed (ambo, I think), where the deacon stands...the instructions get down to the nitty gritty. Do you explain that there are specifics, and the priest must be very careful to be obedient, to safeguard his role as priest? Or do you present the Liturgy just as matter of fact, here how's it done, and then the child can start wondering and questioning?

I'm just curious. I know my mom did it somehow, but I can't remember. I saw that she read all the writings of the popes...she had a drawer in our Family Altar (an old family heirloom desk) full of church documents, and when we would discuss things, sometimes she would pull one out and find out what the "official teaching" actually was.

It seems that it also is a life lesson. There are rules and regs in every walk of life....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Please click on the link below and then click on the Folder called "Easter Vigil Notebooks" for the promised pages:

Easter Vigil Notebook Files

Janette and Tim have been helping me figure out how to upload files from my own computer (thanks so much for everything Janette and Tim!), but, hopefully, this will work in the meantime.

Cottage Blessings

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 11:12pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Dear Alice,
I have just now had the time to read your beautiful plans for the Easter Vigil Notebook. Thank you so much for sharing them with us!

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

jenngm67 wrote:
1. Historical Notes: Our Easter Vigil has only been restored since 1951-1955. In 1951 Pius XII restored it on a trial basis, then it was mandated for the universal Church by 1955. . . . There was an Easter Vigil, but it was held on Holy Saturday morning!! . . . Few lay people attended the Vigil…it was more for religious. It's strange to think of the Vigil not be celebrated at night.

Hi Jenn,
This is so interesting! When I first met dh, he was attending a Melkite Greek Catholic Church (Holy Transfiguration in McLean). He is a Roman Catholic, but he loved the beauty of the Eastern Melkite liturgy. Until we had children, we split our Sundays between our Melkite and Roman churches. I remember going to an Easter vigil-type liturgy on Holy Saturday morning. I thought it was so odd. It felt like they were jumping to gun too much by celebrating the resurrection so early on Holy Saturday! Now it is fascinating to learn that this was normal Roman practice until more recently. Thanks for the great information.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2005 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Maria Trapp refers to the restoration in her Around the Year with the Trapp Family and I had read it in other places, but wasn't fully aware of the impact. I personally find the study of Liturgy fascinating, especially how it came down to us today. When I sit in an older church, I imagine the people that used to be there in worship, what differences there were, how would they have prayed, etc.

A great book (that is actually in print) is The Liturgical Year: its history and its meaning after the reform of the liturgy by Adolf Adam, printed by the Liturgical Press. It's very readable, and each of the feasts and seasons a historical-liturgical account is presented. This is the only book that I've found post-Vatican II that explains well what needed to be changed before and now what is changed without Church bashing. I learned quite a few new things.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2005 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Just a quick note.

I'll be posting the plans for Part 4, the Liturgy of the Eucharist, this weekend. In the meantime, in addition to online sources, I've found it really helps to have a missalette on hand as we go through the steps of this project (or perhaps a copy of the Holy Week edition of the Magnificat magazine). Our parish choir director gave me the missalette several weeks ago when I requested it. Most parishes are pretty good about lending missalettes to parishioners.

Cottage Blessings

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2005 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Alice, this is a great idea, and I actually started reading through my Magnificat holy week early to glean some ideas for the kids and then voila, here comes your vigil preparation, divine providence I think ! My kids are finally well enough to go to Stations tonight so for school today we're going to start talking about the vigil and preparation for doing the notebooks. God Bless!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2005 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

>My kids are finally well enough to go to Stations >tonight so for school today we're going to start >talking about the vigil and preparation for doing the >notebooks.

Thanks so much for reminding me, Meredith. We'll try to go the the Stations as well.

Cottage Blessings

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 18 2005 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

This is the first group of files from Alice. Yay!   

Opening prayers

Renewal of Baptismal Promises

The Litany of Saints

The Exsultet

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 19 2005 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

alicegunther wrote:
This is followed by an Invitation to Prayer and a Litany of the Saints. We will print out the Litany of the Saints for their notebooks (along with the musical notes to go with the Litany for sight reading) and attempt to include a line about each saint and perhaps a picture (drawn or printed from the computer). We studied 1 AD to about 700 AD in history so far this year, and the litany is a virtual timeline of the saints we read about. I am looking forward to pointing this out to the girls and having a conversation with them about why they think these particular saints were chosen from so many others. It may also interest them to note that the saints are not listed at random. The Blessed Mother comes first, followed by the angels, John the Baptist, St. Joseph, the apostles and St. Mary Magdalene, the early Christian martyrs, early doctors of the Church, founders of orders, missionaries, and later doctors of the Church. I can see this leading to some interesting questions and observations. (For example, I may ask them if they know why John the Baptist precedes Saint Joseph.)

I don't . Why are they ordered the way that they are?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2005 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

I believe St. John the Baptist precedes St. Joseph because, in the book of Matthew, Jesus says, "Amen, I say to you, among those born of women, there has been none greater than John the Baptist, yet the least in the kingdom of Heaven is greater than he." Mt. 11:11.

This is an educated guess. I would love to hear if anyone else has a different explanation.

Cottage Blessings

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2005 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

An interesting question...my stab at it would be that John the Baptist is the only other person besides Mary born free of original sin. Now Mary was conceived free of original sin and also the Mother of God, so she's ranked higher than the angels. The Church teaches that when Mary visited Elizabeth and St. John leapt for joy, that's when he was cleansed of original sin. So after Mary, he would be "first in line" of humans in heaven, listed after the angels. St. Joseph, although dying before St. John the Baptist, still had original sin.

It's only a guess...I'll look to see if I can find the answer.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2005 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

I just found this at New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia. The "Structure and Content" section tells more about the order of saints.

Cottage Blessings

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2005 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Well, Alice, your educated guess was right on target! You inspire me with your knowledge of Scripture! John being born without sin is based on this passage.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2005 at 10:31pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Jenn, I promise you I am not half as knowledgeable as you are, but thanks so much for your kind words (even if I don't deserve them)!

Our guesses were two sides to the same coin, and I'll be sure to mention both reasons to the girls when we discuss the Litany.

Cottage Blessings

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2005 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Part 4. The Liturgy of the Eucharist

I have a daughter who will be making her first Holy Communion in May, so, in many ways, I feel as if we have been working on this section all year. She has her own separate First Communion notebook and is always proud to show it to friends who come to visit.

In this fourth and final section of our Easter Vigil notebooks, we will review the parts of the Liturgy of the Eucharist. Now, given that we are already over a week into Lent, I anticipate we will need to keep this section fairly simple in order to complete all we have planned before Holy Saturday. This does not mean we will gloss over the importance of the Liturgy of the Eucharist, but we will not plan quite as much copywork and narration for this final section.

We will begin with a page devoted to the Preparation of the Altar and the Gifts. This page will feature a printout of the prayers (using different font colors to distinguish the words of the priest from the responses of the people):

Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation.
Through your goodness we have this bread to offer,
which earth has given and human hands have made.
It will become for us the bread of life.

Blessed be God for ever.

Blessed are you, Lord, God of all creation.
Through your goodness we have this wine to offer,
fruit of the vine and work of human hands.
It will become our spiritual drink.

Blessed be God for ever.

I will ask the children to decorate the page, and for this I envision vibrant collage-style illustrations surrounding the borders, showing grapes, wheat, and human hands at the top and wine and the host on the bottom. (Tip: nickels make great pattern pieces for grape collages!)

The next page will feature the Prayer over the Gifts:

Pray, brethren, that our sacrifice
may be acceptable to God, the almighty Father.

May the Lord accept the sacrifice at your hands
for the praise and glory of his name,
for our good, and the good of all his Church.

The same page will have the continuation of the prayer specific to the Easter Vigil:

Lord,
accept the prayers and offerings
of your people.
With your help
may this Easter mystery
of our redemption
bring to perfection the saving work
you have begun in us.

We ask this
through Christ our Lord. Amen

The girls and I will discuss the gifts we must always give up to God--our love and prayers, not to mention the many little sacrifices they have been making throughout Lent. To decorate this "Prayer over the Gifts" page, I will ask them to use pictures that symbolize their own love, prayers, and sacrifice. (The girls have given up all drinks except water and milk for Lent. I will not be surprised if a few sodas and juice boxes make their way into those margins.) I hope, when the time comes during the actual Easter Vigil, they will think about this, lift up their hearts, and realize that their little sacrifices are indeed gifts that are pleasing to God.

[As we go over this section, I will mention Pope John Paul II's recent change of this part of the Mass (requiring the people to stand rather than sit during the Prayer over the Gifts).]

Now, here is the fun part. Beginning tonight (I'm glad it is still early in Lent), I will ask them to write a small note each time they make a sacrifice or do a special good deed for Lent. We have hundreds of little "post-it" hearts left over from Valentine's Day, so they will be able to use these, but any small paper sheets would be fine. Later on in Lent, when we are completing this section of the notebooks, I will surprise the girls by producing these heart-shaped papers to be placed on a special page in a gift shaped envelope (they create this out of colored paper) and fastened with purple ribbon. This will not only bring the lesson home to them, but it is also the perfect segue into the next part of the Mass (when we lift up our hearts to the Lord!)

[By the way, another idea for those of you who plan to bring your books to the Easter Vigil itself would be for Mom to make the gift box page and surprise the children with it the night of the Vigil, slightly beforehand so as not to distract too much during Mass. Or how about hiding a small piece of Easter candy in the gift box to munch on the way home from the Vigil?]

The next pages will be dedicated to the Eucharistic Prayer. At the preface, it would be eye catching to use a lift-the-flap format so the outside flap will say:

"The Lord be with you" and the inside "And also with you." The same could be done for:
"Lift up your hearts" and "We lift them up to the lord."
"Let us give thanks to the Lord our God" and "It is right to give Him thanks and praise."

The children will use creativity to make the flaps come to life a bit (for example, a small pop-out heart would be a good embellishment to the second flap). I'm sure the children will come up with their ideas, each one doing something a bit different.

The Preface Acclamation will appear (along with the musical notes for sight reading) on the following page. I will ask them if the words remind them of anything. Hopefully, they will be reminded of the words of the people as they greeted Jesus on Palm Sunday. ("Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. Hosanna in the Highest!") These words appear in their narrations at the beginning of their notebooks.

Eucharistic Prayer I is used for the Easter Vigil. The children and I will read this prayer in advance and discuss its beauty and meaning. I may even ask the children to narrate Prayer I to me informally (meaning I will not write down the narrations) to get an idea of their understanding. They will place a typed copy of the prayer, along with the Memorial Acclamations and Doxology, into their notebooks. Eucharistic Prayer I is so deep and poetic that it would be well worth copying in its entirety and illustrating in the same way we did the Exsultet. The same is true for the Memorial Acclamations and Doxology. I do not forsee attempting this before Holy Saturday, but I will keep it in the back of my mind as a project worth pursuing in the future, maybe even during the weeks following Easter.

This leads us to the Communion Rite, beginning with the Our Father. I will let the girls have a bit of fun with this page by creating an Our Father "puzzle." I will type the Our Father with the words in a variety of colored fonts, cut it up into rectangles, and present it to them. They will need to put the words in order and glue them onto the page.   Hopefully, this will make a pretty and interesting display, although I hope it won't take on the look of a ransom note!

For the Rite of Peace page, I will ask each one of the children to trace her right hand on a piece of paper twice (regular handprints with paint would work too, although you will need to stamp both right and left hands if you choose this method). Each child will keep one of these tracings for herself, but trade the other with one of her sisters. This will leave her with her own hand and the hand of someone she will likely be sitting with during the Vigil. The two hands can be put together in a "shaking hands" position above a printout of the Rite of Peace:

"Lord Jesus Christ, you said to your apostles . . ..(all the way to) Let us offer each other the sign of peace."

The Breaking of the Bread page will feature an altar with a chalice and host. The altar cloth will be a flap that lifts to reveal a sacrificial Lamb at the top (glued to the inside of the flap) along with the typed prayer (glued on the page underneath the flap:

"Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world . . . ."

At the bottom of the same page will be the typed prayer of Communion:

"This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Happy are those who are called to receive you. . . . . The blood of Christ. Amen." along with the specific prayer of the Easter Vigil:

"Christ has become our paschal sacrifice; let us feast with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth, alleluia."

The final page with show a picture of the Resurrected Lord (saved from a holy card or Mass card, printed off the computer, or drawn by the child) with the Prayer after Communion specific to the Easter Vigil:

"Lord, you have nourished us with your Easter sacraments. Fill us with you Spirit and make us one in peace and love. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen."

along with the Concluding Rite:

May almighty God bless you, the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.
The Mass is ended, go in peace. Thanks be to God."

Alleluia! That's basically the whole thing! Although I am sure we will all come up with many ideas to embellish this plan further and help our children personalize their own books. These plans may seem like a lot, but I will be sure to post typed pages to go along with the Liturgy of the Eucharist section. If you are able to print them out, it should save quite a bit of time and make it easy to complete this final portion of the notebook.

Part 4. The Liturgy of the Eucharist (in brief):

1. The Preparation of the Altar and the Gifts (with collage-style decorations)
2. The Prayer over the Gifts (with drawings representing the children's love, prayer and sacrifice--magazine clippings showing things given up for Lent might make a nice touch)
3. Gift page--the girls' Lenten sacrifices written on hearts contained in a gift-shaped envelope
4. The Eucharistic prayer--preface page (with three flaps showing the words of the priest and the responses)followed by the Preface Acclamation
5. The Eucharistic Prayer I, Memorial Acclamation, and Doxology (printed out, although we might attempt this for copywork at a later date)
6. The Communion Rite--beginning with The Our Father (puzzle pieces)
7. Rite of Peace page (using the child's own handprint along with at least one sibling's or a parent's)
8. The Breaking of the Bread (with a lift-the-flap altar cloth and lamb) along with the Prayer of Communion
9. A final page showing the Resurrected Lord and the Concluding Rite

By the way, it would be lovely to learn the hymns for the Easter Vigil and teach them to your children in advance. Perhaps your parish choir director or leader of song could tell you what to expect. My girls know many Advent and Christmas Hymns, but they are not as familiar with the beautiful music of Easter. "Alleluia! Alleluia! Let the Holy Anthem Rise," "Jesus Christ is Risen Today," "All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name," and "To Jesus Christ, Our Sovereign King" are examples of hymns I want the girls to know every bit as well as they know Silent Night or O Come all ye Faithful. Perhaps these hymns could be sung at home during the days and weeks following Easter. If you are able to photocopy the lyrics to these hymns or print them off the internet, they would make a perfect appendix at the end of your notebooks.

Cottage Blessings

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2005 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

alicegunther wrote:

By the way, it would be lovely to learn the hymns for the Easter Vigil and teach them to your children in advance. Perhaps your parish choir director or leader of song could tell you what to expect. My girls know many Advent and Christmas Hymns, but they are not as familiar with the beautiful music of Easter. "Alleluia! Alleluia! Let the Holy Anthem Rise," "Jesus Christ is Risen Today," "All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name," and "To Jesus Christ, Our Sovereign King" are examples of hymns I want the girls to know every bit as well as they know Silent Night or O Come all ye Faithful. Perhaps these hymns could be sung at home during the days and weeks following Easter. If you are able to photocopy the lyrics to these hymns or print them off the internet, they would make a perfect appendix at the end of your notebooks.

GREAT idea, Alice! I know for us, this is very easy, as we're SINGING the hymns at Easter Vigil, and our choir director/organist is my wonderful dh!

But any liturgical music director at your parish would love to help you out if you asked, I'm sure! They're happy when people even SING, so if you're happy to hear about the music, then that is wonderful!

A few years back, I bought a CD that had Lenten and Easter music on it, and it's beautiful. I'm sure there are CDs available if you have a Catholic bookstore nearby, or online.

I'm thinking too that I might include in our study a couple of other things......one is that I may also include Holy Thursday and Good Friday, just in a simple way. I too would like to include more Lenten and Easter music as well. But we'll see. My focus will be on this beautiful Easter Vigil unit! What a blessing it is!

THANK YOU ALICE!!!!!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version