Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: I'm looking for some suggestions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 01 2005 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote ami*

I would like to write more unit studies, but want to focus on the 'other' side of the world (get out of the U.S. and Europe).

I am looking for picture books suggestions with the setting in--
Korea
India
Thailand
Africa
Eastern Europe
Other parts of Asia
Central America
South America

and, not exactly my top priority, but also looking for some on-
Australia
Switzerland
Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark
Hawaii (and other islands in the ocean)

The books need to be GOOD books :) Enough to pull out a unit study.

Thanks Ami
Back to Top View ami*'s Profile Search for other posts by ami* Visit ami*'s Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 03 2005 at 2:44am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

A lot of people are reading this thread - but no one is biting. So I guess I'll jump in but I'm not sure if these ideas would be what you're looking for in a GOOD book for unit studies.

India
Rikki Tikki Tavi by Rudyard Kipling would be a classic. Here is another version. Both of these pictures books are nicely illustrated but they are adaptations so text is altered some from original.

Baya, Baya, Lulla-by-a by Megan McDonald is the story of an Indian mother who is weaving a blanket for her baby while a baya bird is building her nest nearby and the interaction between the two. It's told in lyrical fashion interspersed with soothing sounds and Hindi words.

Korea
The Firekeeper's Son by Linda Sue Park is set in Korea in the 1800s and is a fictional story about the historic bonfire system used in Korea. It's a touching story as well as an introduction to this piece of history I knew nothing about.

BTW, Ami, when you ask about Central America are you referring to countries other than Mexico? Seems like there are lots set in Mexico but not many in other Central American countries.

This thread has made me interested in books set in these cultures. I want to see what is out there also. I've just requested about 30 from the library and will post reviews as I get them. What fun.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 03 2005 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I've promised my children that we'll do Africa in September, when Jan Brett's Honey, Honey Lionwill be published. Here are some other's on my ,list:
On Noah's Ark which is also by Jan Brett and drawn after her research in AFrica.
Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears
bringing Rain to Kapiti Plain
Ashanti to Zulu: African Traditions
Jambo Means Hello
A Story, A Story

I know we'll lapbook this unit!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2005 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

These are not picture books but for Africa we watched a series of 5 videos on Africa. They are made by National Geographic and each one focuses on way of life that is dissapearing and the struggle to keep their identity in the midst of the modern world. I don't know how old are your kids but this videos helped us to visualize the geography of Africa. One of the stories takes place close to Kilimanjaro, another one in the Sahara etc.

Another resource for Africa that is fun is the Africa song from the Geography Songs that SL sells. The song has a catchy beat and it really helped us to memorize the countries of Africa.

I hope this help even if they are not picture books

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2005 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Charlie's House is a short picture book set in Guguletu township South Africa. Mogo's Flute by Hilda van Stockum is set in Kenya. It's a chapter book with illustrations.

Come Holy Spirit!

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 03 2005 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

I have a bunch of India books on my website:

India. these books include many Hindu tales, some of which might be a bit intense for young kids, but which are very interesting.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 03 2005 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote ami*

MaryM wrote:

BTW, Ami, when you ask about Central America are you referring to countries other than Mexico? Seems like there are lots set in Mexico but not many in other Central American countries.

This thread has made me interested in books set in these cultures. I want to see what is out there also. I've just requested about 30 from the library and will post reviews as I get them. What fun.

Hi! I have decided to write a unit for The Firekeeper's son. :)   Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Mexico would be fine (for a few). I do already have one posted at my site from Mexico (Hill of Fire), but I would gladly take more suggestions. However, I would LOVE to find anything -- just some great books-- for Central America that deal with countries other than Mexico.
Back to Top View ami*'s Profile Search for other posts by ami* Visit ami*'s Homepage

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 03 2005 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote ami*

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

MacBeth, I will check out your site!

I can't wait to get my hands on Honey, Honey, Lion! :) I hope to meet Jan Brett during her Honey, Honey, Lion tour.

I *think* I have chosen a few more books for units--

The Firekeeper's Son (Korea)
Love as Strong as Ginger (China-America)
Crow Boy (Japan)

I know FIAR offers books with China/Japan settings, but I would like to do more units on those areas (after all, how many units are focused in the U.S.? and how many people LIVE in China?). Just wanting to give my son and future children a broad world-view.

Thanks again! And keep those suggestions coming! :)

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2005 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Here is a good one from Argentina:

Gauchada by C. Drew Lamm

Back to Top View MichelleW's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleW

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 10 2005 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

This is where I should have posted my suggestion for The Poombah of Badoombah. It is a good picture book for a study about India.

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 13 2005 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

ami* wrote:
I am looking for picture books suggestions with the setting in--
Eastern Europe
Other parts of Asia

Did you want suggestions for Russia? Wondering since it falls in both continents. There had been a request for Russia picture books in another thread, so thought I'd post here as well. We recently read and enjoyed these.

The Wolfhound (Kristine Franklin) - Set in Tsarist Russia. A boy finds a half frozen borzoi (Russian wolfhound) and nurses it back to health. Adventure follows.

Sasha's Matrioshka Dolls (Jana Dillon) - Set in old Moscow, is an entertaining story about a boxmaker who carves matrioshka (nesting) dolls for his granddaughter. Has fun, folksy illustrations.

Philipok - Adaptation of a short story by Leo Tolstoy. It's about a little boy in 19th century Russia who wants to go to school with his big brother, but his mother says he is too young. One day he sneaks off to school. Cute story about learning.

A Symphony of Whales (Steve Schuch) - Set in a native village in Siberia. It's based on a true story of villagers and a Russian icebreaker ship saving thousands of beluga whales who were trapped in the Senyavina Strait by ice.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2006 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Ami

If you go to my website, Aussie Book threads (see below) you'll find lots of picture books. I'm happy to give you more details on any

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

This book is might be good for a unit on Vietnam

Angel Child, Dragon Child.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 01 2010 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Erandi's Braids

Mexico/Central America

Lots of lists and resources here:
Around the World with Children's Books

Around the World with Jan Brett

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Books about Austria

African safari trail...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 29 2010 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

India/Nepal area:

Cloud Tea Monkeys

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2010 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Regarding "A Symphony of Whales".

We LOVE this book. It's on my "to buy" list. A whole wonderful unit could be built on it. It's neat too because the bay where it took place is on the easternmost part of Russia... where it nearly touches Alaska. So it's in the top-left corner of most traditional map projections of the world... not too many great books in that zone so it's nice to find books that truly ARE from all over the world.

This one is wonderful.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version