Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Catholic Mitford Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sarah in SC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah in SC

I've read the first one, but it's been so long since I read it, I'd forgotten there were sequels!

Thanks for the reminder!

The first one is lovely.

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2006 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Thanks for posting about these books; our library has them all and I just finished the first one and the next is waiting to be picked up tomorrow. It's always nice to find a new series or at least a new author with multiple books, b/c there's nothing worse than finishing a great book and not having another to go on to next!

karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2006 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I just finished the first one late last night. I really liked them. I fell in love with the characters. Dorsetville seems like a great place to live. The people are so caring and funny. Unfortunately our library only has the first book. I guess I will HAVE to buy the rest.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 11 2006 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

I too just finished the book last night. It was such a delight to read. I am looking forward to starting the next. I am so pleased that these books were mentioned here. Also the author's story is inspiring about her own life!

Thanks for letting us know about these Cay!

God bless,

Kristi
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 14 2006 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote Kristi

Just thought I would chime in, too, and say thanks Cay! I read the first one and the second is waiting to be picked up at the library. I always love finding a good author and a series takes the guess work out of what to read next!   

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2006 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

I too, really enjoyed the first book, I can't wait to continue the series. Thanks Cay!

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

rm4mrfrus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 17 2006 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote rm4mrfrus

I just finished the Haunted Rectory and boy that was pretty scary! When I first started reading it I thought it was a mystery but it was more of a scary book!
There were some parts that I did not enjoy about it as much as I enjoyed the first book but I am looking forward to reading the rest of the first series!
Gotta love my library, I asked them to order the rest of the books (they already had her first one) and by Friday they had all but one!   

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2006 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I just wanted to say thanks again, Cay, for recommending these books. I am about to finish A Gathering of Angels, I've requested On a Wing and a Prayer from the library, and since my library doesn't have them, I've ordered Grace will Lead me Home and The County Fair at Amazon!

I love how "Catholic" they are in just the most familiar and comfortable way. Father James reminds me so much of my pastor it's too funny. They are just the nicest books, I can't remember having enjoyed a story so much in a while.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2006 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

I loved the first book. I gave it to my mom. My library system only has the first book so I odered the next few, I can't wait until they arrive.

Thanks so much Cay! It's such a joy to discover a new author.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Dec 31 2006 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I finished the second book last night. They've been a wonderful way to relax while nursing these past few weeks. Thanks, Cay!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2006 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I"m so glad, ladies.
I'm almost done with the first book and my library has one other one. I'm enjoying it too.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Well, thanks to this post, I just finished the Mitford series, and will start Valentine's books as soon as the first one gets here from the library!

I really miss Mitford...........someone please tell me...........are there only FOUR books? Please tell me there are more? Please?????

Back to organizing my desk......

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I liked the first one but I guess I read the 2nd one too quickly and it just sounded like a re-hash. I also had a bit of a problem with the Rosary from Medjugorje being some kind of good luck charm for who ever has it in their pocket.....

I thought I'd wait and read the others for a while.....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Mary G wrote:
I liked the first one but I guess I read the 2nd one too quickly and it just sounded like a re-hash. I also had a bit of a problem with the Rosary from Medjugorje being some kind of good luck charm for who ever has it in their pocket.....

I thought the same thing,Mary, about the rosary and also the profusion of miracles. Not that I don't believe in miracles but in these stories everything seemed to get solved by some kind of supernatural intervention and somehow that didn't match my experience.

I enjoyed the two books I read but they didn't inspire me to continue reading the series. Maybe some day...

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Well, it is definitely not Catholic.......I think you just have to read it for the enjoyment of the story itself.

I think the rosary thing slipped by me.

I was slightly annoyed when she felt she had to explain something from a previous book........I bet it was her editor who made her do it .......or did it for her........because in the 4th book, it almost seemed like it was not her writing.

Other than that, I found the characters fun to follow. This series was just at my current mental level

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Chari wrote:
Well, it is definitely not Catholic.......I think you just have to read it for the enjoyment of the story itself.

I think the rosary thing slipped by me.

I was slightly annoyed when she felt she had to explain something from a previous book........I bet it was her editor who made her do it .......or did it for her........because in the 4th book, it almost seemed like it was not her writing.

Other than that, I found the characters fun to follow. This series was just at my current mental level
I think the author had a conversion/reversion when she got very sick and went to Medjugorje and that was the background to the second book .... as I said, I think the stories are nice and certainly more uplifting than many books out there -- I just got the feeling of it being formulaic when I read two fo them too close together.....

but I agree with you Chari (don't I always ) that they're great for light reading ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 12:45am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Mary G wrote:

but I agree with you Chari (don't I always ) that they're great for light reading ....

You do? Oh, good, I loved to be agreed with!

See you in May? We can be very agreeable in person!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version