Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: bless my dh - he tries Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Martha

My dh brought home a book for me last night (the equal of flower in this house lol)...

A book he found at the catholic bookstore, which he rarely goes in w/o me and my nagging...

The book? Christ the Lord Out of Egypt by Anne Rice

Hey, I know she's converted (right?), but by page 4 I was ready to toss the book and call the owner of the bookstore to complain.

Has anyone else read this?

On a better note.. does anyone else like Dean Koontz?? I just started reading him and find he's entertaining. Does anyone know if he's catholic? There's many references to our faith in his books, usually in a humorous way. Especially the Odd Thomas series.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Martha wrote:
My dh brought home a book for me last night (the equal of flower in this house lol)...

Martha
What a wonderful guy I try and try to convince my dh that I would just love to receive books for Christmas/birthday presents. But he just sees that I can buy books anytime and will.   What he doesn't seem to understand is that I RARELY buy books for me as I feel comfortable spending on the dc but not on me.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2006 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Erin wrote:
Martha
What a wonderful guy I try and try to convince my dh that I would just love to receive books for Christmas/birthday presents. But he just sees that I can buy books anytime and will.   What he doesn't seem to understand is that I RARELY buy books for me as I feel comfortable spending on the dc but not on me.

Yes, he sure is! So much so, that I'm going to read that book anyhow.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

At_His_Feet
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 29 2007 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote At_His_Feet

Hi Martha,

I read this book a year or 2 ago and I really liked it.

If I were you I would read the end note at the back of the book, before you finish the novel.

Anne Rice was raised a Catholic, but left her faith for many years. I think she says that this is her way of giving something back and that it was a book that was on her mind for a very long time. She also explains why she used the sources she did (the gnostic gospels and the ones in the Bible).

Essentially it's a very Catholic interpretation.

It really got me thinking about how Jesus came to understand who he was as a young boy, and how his family would have dealt with the amazing gift and responsibility they were all entrusted with.

Just remember it was only ever meant to be a work of fiction.

Would love to hear what you thought.

Tricia
Aussie wife to James and Mum to 3 boys.
Back to Top View At_His_Feet's Profile Search for other posts by At_His_Feet Visit At_His_Feet's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2007 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

wow, I'd completely forgotten about this until it came up under active topics just now!

Okay, I did indeed end up reading the entire book.

Some of it was alright. For example, what in the world would you do with a kid liek that? It's not like you can just forget the Son of God is running around the living room and the king wants him dead.

Some of it was rather "iffy", kwim? For example, it's my understanding Jesus always knew He was God, Son of God? Since God is one, how could God not know? hmmm

Also, there were several depictions that I flat out did not like. Incidents where the impression is that the child Jesus accidentally used His powers and was scared of himself. Also, the impression is that Joseph and Mary are lying by omission. They forbid Jesus to ask questions, but He tries to work around that without actually disobeying them.

I don't know... was it the worst Catholic-ish thing I've ever read? No. The premise had possiblities, but I just don't think she brought any enlightenment or enjoyment, it was very dry reading.

But I wouldn't recommend it. I was bothered enough by it to not consider reselling it at the used bookstore. I just threw it away and that is a very rare thing indeed for me to do.

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2007 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I actually liked the book - a priest friend gave it to me, and, if you remember that it is a piece of fiction not Truth, it helps.

I also agree with Tricia - read the end note first and appreciate the author's conversion story.

I've had my 15 year old read it as part of the novels that he is reading for Ancient History - again, just as a piece of interesting fiction.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 01 2008 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I'm bumping this -- I just read the first two books in the series.

Yes, they were an easy read, and yes, parts were "fluffy".

Overall, I rather enjoyed them. They certainly have given me something to think about.

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 01 2008 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

Since Paula bumped this and I'm just now reading it, I thought I'd reply to the second half...

I used to read Dean R. Koontz when I was in high school and my mom wouldn't let me read Stephen King...I'm not sure if she knew it at the time, but Dean Koontz was featured in the March/April 2007 Faith and Family magazine as a convert to Catholicism. He says at the end of the article, "The older I've gotten, the more beauty, wonder, and mystery I see in the world, which is why there are ever more of those three things in my books." I see he has a few "Spiritual Suspense", which I might just check out.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 01 2008 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I really enjoy Dean Koontz! Can't wait for Odd Hours to come out.

As for the book that started this thread. I still think it wasn't worth buying, much less reading, but hey free press and all that for those that liked it though right?

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2008 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

Didn't Koontz write Door to December? What a creepy book that was ... entertaining, though.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

Karnak
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 17 2008 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Karnak

You are lucky your husband made the effort. My husband is a great bloke and he get some flowers which are very nice but I would prefer something like a book or a plant for the garden. He often buys me county and western cds which I enjoy and it is a very kind gesture.

You could suggest some title fo future romantic purchases, I often do this with my DH and then I get what I like to read.
He went through a phase of liking St Jospeh and I think he got rather tired of having   me get him something some St Joseph themed item when I went into our local Catholic bookshop so now i have a list of what he wants for himself
Back to Top View Karnak's Profile Search for other posts by Karnak

Lauri B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 17 2008 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Lauri B

I hope it's all right to post this here.

I set up a WIST wish list for myself, just for DH to refer to for gift ideas. I try to put an assortment of gifts there, so he has a variety to choose from . It has made it easy for him to buy me little things he could otherwise never find - such as etsy.com items, craft supplies, books, beauty products, etc. I do have an amazon wishlist, but he seems to forget to check it. The wist is an easy way for him to check, click through, and purchase without running the risk of my finding out.

So I thought I'd share that idea.
Back to Top View Lauri B's Profile Search for other posts by Lauri B

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version