Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: The Flu... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 09 2006 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

ginger is an anti-viral.. and fresh grated (wash the skin and leave it on when grating it won't hurt you - you can store it in the freezer this way and grate it frozen) in a pineapple smoothie is very yummy

The elderberry is actually a specific for the flue virus.. it coats the "spikes" that the flu virus uses to poke into healthy cells and infect them. So not only will it shorten the duration of flu in someone already coming down with it.. but it may help prevent others from getting it. More specifically than just boosting immunity.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 09 2006 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

Jodie,

I did not know this about the elderberry! Can you give this to any age? What brand do you use and what form do you give it to the family?

Our youngest who is still nursing came down with an unexpectedly high fever two days ago. This was his first serious illness and it was a bit alarming to see him so 'lifeless' and not being able to give him anything orally because he just threw it back up. When they are so young I still try to wait until at least 24 - 48 hours before heading to the doctor.

Fortunately I saw him tugging at one of his ears and was able to dissolve an earache tablet on his lips without too much gagging. With in 30 minutes he made tremendous improvement. Late yesterday his fever seemed to have broken and we are on the mends!

Anyhow thanks for sharing.

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2006 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I do give it to any age.. I use Quantum brand liquid.. but I've heard good things about the Sambuccal (sp?) that was mentioned earlier in the post. The bottle gives a range of how much to give.. I usually then divide it down by weight (using something between 150-200 for an "adult weight")

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 11 2006 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Well,Karoline has something. No fever and she is not wheezing, so I don't think it's our old nemesis RSV but she is really stuffy and snorty and boy has she been cranky the last few days. Why does this always happen when Mike is gone? I hate second guessing whether or not to go to the doctor. If she doesn't have RSV, I don't want to take her anywhere... Your prayers are appreciated.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2006 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Elizabeth,
I am up early this morning going to a smiw meet. I just saw this. I'll pray
for you and Karoline ( and the rest of your family)

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2006 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Elizabeth

I am praying for Karoline and the rest of the family - especially for you.

Marilyn
Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 11 2006 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

fsuadamson wrote:
Fortunately I saw him tugging at one of his ears and was able to dissolve an earache tablet on his lips without too much gagging. With in 30 minutes he made tremendous improvement. Late yesterday his fever seemed to have broken and we are on the mends!

These are amazing! When Katie was two, we took her to Chicago. She was up all night in the hotel the second night because her ears hurt. I walked to the nearest drugstore and they had these. Half an hour later, she was good as gold and she flew home without a hitch!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2006 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Elizabeth wrote:
Well,Karoline has something. No fever and she is not wheezing, so I don't think it's our old nemesis RSV but she is really stuffy and snorty and boy has she been cranky the last few days.

I was wondering about RSV but didn't want to ask. How I remember your earlier bouts but maybe it's an advantage that Karoline is so young because she's still getting the perinatal immunities? Hope so anyway, but I have been praying during these wakeful nights.   

I think that is mostly likely what we had -- finally getting over it now and so far Aidan has been keeping his SATs in an OK range so I'm hoping we stay home. Paddy got a little croupy but seems to be on the mend now -- cold-mist humidifiers are great

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 11 2006 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

WJFR wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
Well,Karoline has something. No fever and she is not wheezing, so I don't think it's our old nemesis RSV but she is really stuffy and snorty and boy has she been cranky the last few days.

I was wondering about RSV but didn't want to ask. How I remember your earlier bouts but maybe it's an advantage that Karoline is so young because she's still getting the perinatal immunities? Hope so anyway, but I have been praying during these wakeful nights.   

Stephen was two weeks old when we went to the hospital for a week with him. I think Katie was right around two months. Patrick was closer to four months old. I'm totally paranoid, I know. And I'm so tired that I don't trust my judgment. Between Mike's travel, Betsy's funeral, and sick kids, this has been a really stressful week.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2006 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Elizabeth wrote:

Stephen was two weeks old when we went to the hospital for a week with him. I think Katie was right around two months. Patrick was closer to four months old. I'm totally paranoid

I really understand your paranoia - Abby had pertussis at 2 weeks and spent 2 weeks in the hospital. Nick and Andrew had the RSV vaccine (as they were born before 32 weeks) - but still every cold was suspected RSV and we spent most of their first winter going in on emergency.We are praying.
Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2006 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Oh Elizabeth, how hard!
I'm so sorry this is happening.
I'm praying. . .

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2006 at 2:15am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Just saw this -- am praying for you and your kiddos, Elizabeth and Willa.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 13 2006 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Hey, look! They updated the CDC flu map. Someone must have told them we are sick. Christian will be so pleased to know he's a leader!

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2006 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

Your family is in our prayers, Elizabeth. I hope you're all feeling better soon.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2006 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

We'll be praying for you all.

You can get "Airborne" at CVS, which is an effervescense. It has lots of herbs in it. You can also give the whole family "Sambucol", black elderberry exract syrup. It's antiviral.

http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/88353/S/9885 6

It has worked great with my kids. You can get it at the health food store. I highly recommend this for the whole Winter season. It doesn't taste that bad. My kids prefer it to the "Airborne." Also lots of vitamin C.

God bless. Ruth
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2006 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Elizabeth wrote:
Hey, look! They updated the CDC flu map. Someone must have told them we are sick. Christian will be so pleased to know he's a leader!

How funny (well not really. . .you know what I mean.) I bet that's what you folks have.

How many of your family got it? How bad was is it?

Did it start with a runny nose?

I've been wondering how you all are doing. . .

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 13 2006 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Seems like someone has been sick for the last nine weeks. Michael had a nasty virus that started quickly: sore throat, runny nose, bad cough, body aches, high fever. It lasted for days and days, really didn't clear up completely for three weeks. I got sick around the same time but with no fever and not quite as miserable (only I was nine months pregnant). Then, a week or so later, the four youngest (not Karoline) got a briefer version that seemed more like croup. Fevers there, too but they weren't as sick and it didn't last as long. Then Christian got what looks exactly like what Michael had and I got it the same way as last time, only this time I feel worse than I did for longer. Michael swears it felt every bit like a bad (and diagnosed) case of the flu he had three years ago.But remember, he got it in late September this year... I just realized that patrick (my most severe asthmatic) has yet to get any of it. Don't know whehter that's good or bad--is the worst yet to come?

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2006 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Yuck. . .

I'm so sorry. Things like this that go on and on plus the added worry for the other kids are really hard.

We've been sick here every two weeks for the past month or more, but it wasn't as bad as you've had it.

I hope it just cycles out quickly and then its over for you.

It sure seems like the flu, especially since your state reports regional activity.

Could Tamaflu (sp?)or something similar be good for Patrick?
Just a thought. . .

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 13 2006 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I saw that the FDA is now thinking there needs to be a warning on Tamiflu for children...and then there's the fact that I never figure it out early enough, though you can bet I'll be watching him for the slightest symptom. I dunno. I just hope this means we're finished for the season.

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2006 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Here's something that might help... I dont know but it can't hurt

Link to Steps to Prevent Flu

It is speaking of the Avian Flu, but I am betting you can extend it to other types too!

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version