Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Jesse Tree Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
blairb4
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 03 2006 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote blairb4

It's finally getting cooler in TX and I have Advent on the mind! Do you all do the Jesse Tree tradition? How do you do it? I've been wanting to create something for awhile and maybe this will be the year. I've been looking at The Domestic Church website and writing out my symbol ideas, I'm just not sure I'll be able to create that many ornaments (one for every day of Advent) this year.

We did this at a Catholic school where I taught, but we just made small paper ornaments that the children would color and tape on a paper tree in the hallway. I'd like to make painted wooden ones, and put them on our regular Christmas Tree (we put ours up at the beginning of Advent).

Just curious what you all do!

~~~
Blair in Tx, wife of Steven '01
Mommy to Mary Clare '03 and Elizabeth '05
Blair's Blog
Back to Top View blairb4's Profile Search for other posts by blairb4 Visit blairb4's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2006 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

There are a couple of kits available and I plan to use one this year since I know we will not have time to make a daily homemade ornament.

Illuminated Ink sells a 3-D ornament kit and wooden Jesse Tree stand. I also have a felt ornament kit from Leaflet Missal that hangs as a banner.

I don't know of any wooden ornaments. That is a beautiful idea though.

Isn't the cooler weather in TX nice?

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 12:26am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Thanks to Kathryn F. from England, we found the book The Jesse Tree by Geraldine McCaughrean. It is a wonderful book and we made Sculpey clay ornaments for each chapter and made our own Jesse Tree of cloth, tied the ornaments each night and had a full tree by the end. If you'd like, I can send you a picture of our completed tree.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

Mary G wrote:
Thanks to Kathryn F. from England, we found the book The Jesse Tree by Geraldine McCaughrean. It is a wonderful book and we made Sculpey clay ornaments

Oh, I'm so glad you posted this, Mary. I didn't know that Geraldine McCaughrean wrote a book on the Jesse Tree. I love her books. And what a great idea to use Sculpey clay. My girls are Sculpey crazy around here. How many did you make at a time? It seems doable for us if we made a week's worth of ornaments for that week and then baked them.

I'd love to see pictures!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Katherine -- here's a link to last year's discussion on this whole thing: Jesse Tree discussion in the archives. There's a picture toward the bottom of the post that shows our Jesse Tree finished. My 2 littles (6 & 5 at the time) and I did 5 or so per day and were able to have them all done before we actually started hanging them....    

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

That is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing the picture and for pointing out the thread.

blairb4
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote blairb4

Thanks everyone. This is all really helpful, especially the link from last year's thread. The tree done with clay ornaments is really neat! My ideas are still churning...

Back to Top View blairb4's Profile Search for other posts by blairb4 Visit blairb4's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2006 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

You might check out Scripture Trees as well. They have a felt Jesse Tree, with felt ornaments, and an Epiphany add on kit that takes you through the 12 Days of Christmas. I don't have a web address for them, anyone?

Michelle
Back to Top View MichelleW's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleW

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2006 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MichelleW wrote:
You might check out Scripture Trees as well. They have a felt Jesse Tree, with felt ornaments, and an Epiphany add on kit that takes you through the 12 Days of Christmas. I don't have a web address for them, anyone?

They don't have a website that I know, but here's ordering information.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 07 2006 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

I would just like to add that you can still do the Jesse Tree devotions with your family even if you don't have a lot of time to make intricate ornaments, or money or foresight to order a special kit. We use an inexpensive pine tree from the craft store, about a foot and a half tall that sits on our coffee table. I made the ornaments one year and they really only took a few minutes a day by using felt - not 3D but just cutting out the shape and decorating it with more felt or whatever. For variety you can make some 3D like a real shell for John the Baptist, a popsicle stick ladder for Jacob, and a wadded ball of paper painted ball for Isaiah's coal.   You can even use foamtastic and decorate with markers for super-fast ornaments.
It is a lovely advent tradition to share with your family whether you choose an elaborate beautiful display or a quick and simple one.
Some years we also set up our Betty Lukens felts with the Bible story of the day. But some years we don't.

My blogPondered in My Heart
Jesus,I trust in You!
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2006 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Just to piggyback on what Mrs. K mentioned, the first year we did a Jesse tree I used a little feather tree I found for a buck and each day when I read the readings I had the kids go find an object to put on the tree. We had a Lego ladder for Jacob's ladder, a blue marble for the Creation, a green pipe cleaner for the snake, a half walnut shell for Noah, etc. They had soooo much fun with this!

Michelle
Back to Top View MichelleW's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleW

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 09 2006 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote 5athome

Has anyone ordered these? I was thinking they might be a nice complement to our homemade efforts for the Jesse tree

http://ourfathershouse.biz/shopsite_sc/store/html/page36.htm l
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 13 2006 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

I have a question about The Jesse Tree by Geraldine McCaughren. In one of the archive posts someone mentioned they read a chapter a day. Are there enough chapters in the book to correspond to the number of days in advent? So I could just do a chapter a day?

Also, what age children would this book work for?

Thanks,

Waverley
Back to Top View Waverley's Profile Search for other posts by Waverley

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2006 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

5athome wrote:
Has anyone ordered these? I was thinking they might be a nice complement to our homemade efforts for the Jesse tree

http://ourfathershouse.biz/shopsite_sc/store/html/page36.htm l

Do you mean the brass Christmas Tree Ornaments? I have them and they are very nice. But they tarnish so you will need to polish them every year when you get them out - or not if you don't care if they are shiny.

God bless,

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version