Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: A Field Trip to Va.!!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 03 2006 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Hi Everyone!!
We are planning a trip to Virginia in the Spring! We are going to stay with my Sister-in-Law and Brother-in-Law. They live in Woodbridge. I wanted to get some info as to what is around there field trip wise. We wanted to study Early American History. If you were planning a trip there (we are going to be there a week!) where would you go and in prepping for the trip what books would you start reading to the children to get them ready for all of the historical sites that they would be seeing. I am so excited to learn all of this also. I have never been to Va. and my husband hasn't been since he was a small child. Thanks so much for your input!!
Peace,
Kirsten
ds9,dd7,dd6,ds3,dd2,new little one in Dec.
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2006 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Loooots of civil war battlefields in the Fredericksburg/Chancellorville area...not sure about what books to read because we haven't gone there yet (littles are too little yet).

Have a great trip and WELCOME!

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2006 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Here are just a few things that come to mind:

Gunston Hall

Mount Vernon

The battlefields at Manassas

I'm out of time, but there's lots more...

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2006 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, you will just love it. Virginia is quite beautiful. I don't have a lot of time to hunt for links, but here are a few thoughts that I love.

Woodbridge is a few hours drive from some of these locations, but they are really key for some of your early American studies:

Williamsburg
Jamestown
Monticello (Thomas Jefferson)
Montpelier (James Madison)

(just driving along the James River is just gorgeous!)

I think one at a time they are doable. Williamsburg if you buy the tickets, you'd probably want to stay nearby instead of the drive, but it's lovely to just visit the non-ticketed areas....at least I think so. There are other places around Williamsburg that are nice to visit, also.

Skyline Drive is a beautiful scenic route, and if I remember correctly there are some historical sites around there.

It's not exactly kid friendly, nor am I aware of an exact tour or museums, but a drive out to Middleburg and surrounding areas is just beautiful. Red Fox Inn and some other locations were around in the 1700s, and George Washington slept there...and other famous people.

I live in Manassas area, lots of Civil history. John Mosby did a lot around here. Stonewall Jackson...

I know others can talk about books (esp. MaryM). And if Kelly hops onto this thread you'll get loads of ideas! Hint, hint!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2006 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, and the obvious, Washington DC sights will take a few days' time. You can take the VRE train or ride Metro to not do the hassle of driving all the way to DC. But I'm sure your sister-in-law can fill you in.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2006 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Serial poster alert! I just wanted to mention that Mount Vernon has added a brand new visitor center. The Washington Post did a review on Oct. 24

Fleshing Out a Founding Father

Additions Give Mount Vernon The Feel of Yesterdayland

Grand Opening of Mount Vernon's New Museum and Education Center

I can't wait to go see this. I'm hoping to get a little group together to go soon.

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 03 2006 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Jenn, LOL Wow my head is already starting to spin!!(with excitement.)Thank you all so far for the links and ideas!!

Peace,
Kirsten
ds9,dd7,dd6,ds3,dd2,new little one in Dec.!
Back to Top View bfarmmom's Profile Search for other posts by bfarmmom Visit bfarmmom's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2006 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

We like Capital! Washington DC from A to Z
and George Washington.

I checked out, but never got to read, O is for Old Dominion: A Virginia Alphabet

To sing in the car you need to read and reread Yankee Doodle and watch America Rock from School House Rock, imho.   

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 12:22am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Kirsten,

You are so lucky to be going out there in the Spring -- it is absolutely gorgeous at that time of year. I spent three years in the Aquia/Stafford/DC corridor and then another 2 at William and Mary before heading even further south to Atlanta.

And, you get to hook up with all the first-string 4realers like Elizabeth, JennGM, MaryChris and others....you lucky thing!

Have a great trip and enjoy the area ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

The National Colonial Farm is across the Potomac from Mount Vernon. There is not a bridge there, so it's about a 30 minute drive (don't go in rush hour!). The cost is $2.00 a person but if you have a National Parks pass (which you might want to get if you do Yorktown and Jamestown), it's free.

Also, I found
this way cool site that lists Northern Virginia colonial attractions (i love the web!)

And Don't forget Old Town Alexandria - rich with colonial history.

You've inspired me to take more advantage of this place where I was born and bred.

Have fun!

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I can't say enough about the website that I linked to above. It doesn't just have Northern Virginia colonial history -- it let's you search on Period of History, type of place (walking tour, plantation, native american) AND let's you narrow it by region, city, or locality.

Check it out!
virginia.org

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Jen L. wrote:
I can't say enough about the website that I linked to above. It doesn't just have Northern Virginia colonial history -- it let's you search on Period of History, type of place (walking tour, plantation, native american) AND let's you narrow it by region, city, or locality.

Check it out!
virginia.org

Great site, Jen. This will take some time to sift through.

Isn't it terrible how we take our commonwealth for granted? And forget! At church today a couple was wearing Yorktown sweatshirts...and made me think I forgot to add that important site. And James Monroe's house...too much, really.

O is for Old Dominion is a delightful alphabet book. Our Costco had this for sale and I keep toying with purchasing it.

Magnificat
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote Magnificat

I just had to chime in...we live just outside of Williamsburg and thought I would just add:
Williamsburg/Jamestown
We recently toured the Governor's Mansion, and many of the other buildings in Williamsburg...and...WOW!! The tour guides are awesome (the cost is a little hefty for tickets). Also, Jamestown is gearing up for the 400th anniversary. The archeological digs are really neat to see...
Just thought I'd throw that in!

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

We really enjoyed our quick trip to Jamestown/Yorktown/Wiliamsburg this summer. (It's called the Historic Triangle, I think.) I bought yearlong passes to Jamestown and Yorktown to FORCE myself to go back (being the bargain lover that I am ). If we could afford it, I would definitely buy a pass to Williamsburg too! (I was looking forward to trying to go down for the Festival of Lights on Dec 2nd? but i hear it's just crazy crowded )

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G wrote:
And, you get to hook up with all the first-string 4realers like Elizabeth, JennGM, MaryChris and others....you lucky thing!

And yes, please let us know when you are coming. I love to meet other 4Real families!

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 08 2006 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Thank you all so much. (It looks like we need more than a week!!) I have already ordered some of the books and as soon as I get some time I am really going to dive into the websites. I believe I am starting to "nest" getting ready for our new little one. So a lot of my time has been spent doing that. Thanks so much for all of the info. I am so looking forward to this trip.
Peace,
Kirsten

Sonlight Garden

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 09 2006 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

OK, you are making me homesick!!!

If you go to Mt. Vernon (which I would highly recommend, and haven't even seen the visitor's center), a good children' book is "Where was George Washington?" by Carla Heymsfeld, ill. by Jennifer Koury. It is all about the bust of Washington sculpted by Houdon, but the story is interesting and historicaly acurate.

If you make it as far as Montecillo, you should also goto AshLawn Highlands which is about 1/2 mile down the road and was the home of James Monroe.

The Fredericksburg area has everything from plantations to Civil War battlefields. You could easily spend an entire day. If you plan that I would recommend that you plan what you want to see beforehand so you don't waste time trying to decided. There is alot there.

We love to visit Manassas. The City of Manassas has a nice little museum and they have a "scavenger" hunt of sorts. They also have some old earthen works with a quaker gun and other cannons on hand hidden amidst some condos and stores. The battlefield is really big and neat to. Be sure to visit the Stone House and the stone bridge.

I don't know if you would ever be able to get as far south as Staunton, but the Farm Museum (Ladies, help me out with the name here!) there is so worth the driving, money, etc.

If you do venture to Skyline Drive, stop at the Gooney Manor overlook, look down and wave at our old house! The Dickey Ridge visitor center is a nice little stop, full of information and suggestions for short (or long) hikes.) Front Royal has a little hidden gem, an old Civil War museum. It doesn't look like much, but it has a ton of Civil War items if you are into that.

Oh yes, Great Falls is a wonderful place to visit. I have only been there on the Virginia side, but the visitor's center is extensive and there are lots of trails to hike. You can see the ruins of Matildaville, the old town and the old canal locks.

If you goto Great FAlls, it is not very far from Claude Moore Historical farm. It is a little living history museum with turkeys and other animals and has people working the day away on a little farm.

Around DC, don't forget about Arlington National Cemetary. There are some intersting things to see there.   

If you venture to Richmond there is the White House of the Confederacy, but I went there following someone who knew where she was going. It is in a very busy area. However, right near there is a place called Pamplin Historical park and you could easily spend a 1/2 of day there, at least. IT is a civil war park and has a little farm, museum (actually 2 I think) and lots of earthenworks (recently built).

OK, that is all that comes to the top of my head at the moment.

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

bfarmmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 09 2006 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote bfarmmom

Wow Kristen! I don't know where to begin. It seems like there is a lot of civil war history there. Maybe I should focus on that. How awesome that some of you have all of this in your back yard!! You all must have some wonderful field trips. I live in central Fl. The only really historical place we have near here is St. Augustine. (which is lovely) but wow, I am amazed at all there is in Va. Thanks so much for your time!!

Sonlight Garden

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2006 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Also, if you make it to Monticello, be sure and go on the Mulberry Row tour and ask for Cita (pronounced "Cheetah") the Tour Guide. My cousins live in the area, and they recommended this gal, and I'm glad they did. She was very lively and addressed the children thruout the tour. And if you get her, tell her the big Beck family from Florida (that was driving to Wyoming) sends regards! Cita was a lot of fun, and had lots of good information about the lives of the slaves on Mulberry Row.

Kelly in FL

PS Thought of one more thing: read the Anne Rinaldi book, "Or Give Me Death" about Patrick Henry's children, then go visit his home in...was it Purcelleville? He has two homes that you can still visit, but the one depicted in the book was his first home. BTW the book is very interesting, but is for older children---actually, I enjoyed reading it as much as my dd 13. But it IS a little somber, definitely thought-provoking.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Kristi
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 25 2006 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote Kristi

Hi Kirsten!
Kristi up in Minnesota here. I don't have any recommendations for your trip, but I just had to say hello and welcome. I'm not much of a poster here, but it is nice to see a familiar "face". We can't wait to hear about the arrival of your little one!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version