Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: All Saints Day-Craft ideas needed! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Help! I'm not getting any inspiration from my craft books or from google.
Thanks!
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

What are you looking for? Party crafts? Just to do with the kids? What books have let you down?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I personally think Alice's spoon saints are the best All Saint's craft idea I've seen - simple yet endless possibilities! If you haven't yet seen those, check them out.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
I personally think Alice's spoon saints are the best All Saint's craft idea I've seen - simple yet endless possibilities! If you haven't yet seen those, check them out.

Yes, I was thinking about that craft and had an idea, but I'm not sure if would work.

One of the symbols for All Saints Day is the Hand of God. Here is another example.

Years ago for one of our parties I made a large copy of this on posterboard, two sided, and suspended it from the chandelier. I was thinking of maybe making a mobile, with that as the main large part, and then everyone make a spoon saint. I wonder if you could make the saint two sided, and put a thread or string under the clothes before gluing...then attach to the main symbol.

Or use something like this symbol. Make a crown with Christ's Chi Rho, then suspend the spoon saints from them.

Explanation of this symbol:

"Jesus, Crown of All Saints," represents all the saints (apostles, martyrs, confessors, virgins, and hoy women) in symbols. The Gospel of the feast speaks of eight crowns of saints, reminding us of the eight beautitudes, which are the steps to heaven. This sketch pictures eight crowns, all directed toward Christ, who calls men to sanctity and provides the grace for attaining it.

It's not an exact craft...just ideas muddling around. I'm crazy about symbols and love to incorporate them in my celebrations!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

I love the spoon saints, as well. Got my package just waiting for some transformations tomorrow!

I used to teach first and second grade, and every All Saints we used to make Saint Mosaics. It takes some prep work, but the results were FABULOUS. I would start by cutting up various colours of construction paper into 1 inch squares. You don't have to limit yourself to construction paper, though. Cut up magazines or other craft paper to achieve varying degrees of each colour. That is the key to a really beautiful mosaic. Keep every colour in its own container, and make sure there is variety among the shades in each colour especially if the differences in hues are slight(i.e. the blues should vary from baby blue to sky blue to powder blue, turquoise, etc in another container mix all the shades of darker blues midnight, navy etc)
Have the children draw a simple bust picture of a saint of their choosing on a piece of 11x17 paper. Encourage them to include significant symbols of those saints, but not to get too caught up in drawing minute details (they are going to get covered with squares of paper) The next step is to cover (and I mean COVER)each section of their drawing with overlapping squares of paper. In the end there should be very little white from the original paper that is visible. They can cut the squares if need be to fit into smaller sections of their drawings (the eyes, for example) Oh, and I came across this fabulous paper that is every different "people" skin colour from pale peachy-white to darkest chocolate brown. I cut that up as well into 1 inch squares and I mixed the lighter ones together for the caucasian saints, and the darker hues together for the darker-skinned saints. This made Blessed Kateri and St. Martin DePorres really look the part!

Another one we did this year was "Stained glass" saint windows using tissue paper and black posterboard. Suzanne Temple's website (Blessed Among Men) has the instructions beautifully laid out. The results were beautiful, but it was very labour intensive for mommy (anything that involves using an exacto knife for three hours makes me cranky)and my children didn't enjoy it too much esp. as I was becoming Craft Nazi by the end, "NOT too much glue. Did you hear me? I SAID NOT too much glue. O.K. That is WAYYYYYYYYY too much glue" (repeat this 78 times and you get the feel for how our afternoon went)
Sigh.
All holy men and women, Pray for us!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 4:29am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

MaryMary wrote:
I was becoming Craft Nazi by the end, "NOT too much glue. Did you hear me? I SAID NOT too much glue. O.K. That is WAYYYYYYYYY too much glue" (repeat this 78 times and you get the feel for how our afternoon went)

This sounds just like me everytime we do crafts!!! Sometimes that's why I avoid it, or insist on glue sticks (which of course don't do as good a job).

Thanks for the ideas!!!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 5:04am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Jennifer

We have just celebrated All Saints here, a day ahead of you I have just posted here what we did for craft. Mostly it was about how we adapted the saint's spoons.

An idea about glue- grab a saucer pour out some glue and give dc a paintbrush now they only have so much.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Thanks for all the ideas. I love the spoon craft-but I think my limited patience and the yet-too-little fingers of my girls would not make it a fun experience. We are saving that one for next year!

I did find some coloring sheets with different saints standing together. I also pulled out our holy cards, found the ones with duplicates and we played Go Fish this morning with them. Still trying to think up a more appropriate name for the game!

Jenn, the books I have (that let me down ) are:
Saints and Feast Days: Lives of the Saints with a Calendar and Ways to Celebrate
The Big Book of Catholic Customs and Traditions for Children's Faith Formation
A Year With God (from CHC)
Art 1 For Young Catholics (Seton)
Catholic Traditions in the Home and Classroom

Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Jenn, We are studying the Crown of All Saints that you posted here, and we're stumped on the symbols. Can you direct me to where I might find what they stand for? (google let us down, and I couldn't find anything in AYWG either!) Nick and I thank you! :)

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JSchaaf wrote:
Thanks for all the ideas. I love the spoon craft-but I think my limited patience and the yet-too-little fingers of my girls would not make it a fun experience. We are saving that one for next year!

I did find some coloring sheets with different saints standing together. I also pulled out our holy cards, found the ones with duplicates and we played Go Fish this morning with them. Still trying to think up a more appropriate name for the game!

Or you could play Memory with the duplicates, too.

JSchaaf wrote:
Jenn, the books I have (that let me down ) are:
Saints and Feast Days: Lives of the Saints with a Calendar and Ways to Celebrate
The Big Book of Catholic Customs and Traditions for Children's Faith Formation
A Year With God (from CHC)
Art 1 For Young Catholics (Seton)
Catholic Traditions in the Home and Classroom

Wow! That's pretty much what I have, too. If you're going out today, maybe pick up those little pumpkins and acrylic paint and paint saint symbols and names on the pumpking -- patron saints or the ones they dressed up in costume, or all.

Talk about heaven, and have the girls draw what heaven would be like. If the girls don't like drawing, maybe scanning and printing holycards or from internet lots of different saints to make a collage.

There's a story by Father Brennan "The Most Beautiful Picture in the World" that would be a perfect reading for this. I'm scanning it now, and will post it on my blog in a few minutes.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

MaryMary wrote:
(anything that involves using an exacto knife for three hours makes me cranky)and my children didn't enjoy it too much esp. as I was becoming Craft Nazi by the end, "NOT too much glue. Did you hear me? I SAID NOT too much glue. O.K. That is WAYYYYYYYYY too much glue"

When I started leading the 4H Cloverbuds I did something like Erin: we use little Dixie cups and Q-tips for little dots of glue. Great for bigger groups! Now that's all we do at home--they never get the bottle.

Jenn, I love the Crown mobile idea. Maybe I will adapt it for the feast of Christ the King.

We're in a craft rut this year. Actually I'm just in a rut! Although most of the dc are older and the boys prefer card making or war crafts (costumes, rifles, swords, etc) I still have a 6yo ds and 2yo dd who both love art projects. I also bought the package of spoons and hope we'll make some of them into some semblence of saints this week.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Lisbet wrote:
Jenn, We are studying the Crown of All Saints that you posted here, and we're stumped on the symbols. Can you direct me to where I might find what they stand for? (google let us down, and I couldn't find anything in AYWG either!) Nick and I thank you! :)

The picture probably isn't the best. Sorry I was in a rush last night to go out TOT. It's from an old book called With Christ Through the Year: The Liturgical Year in Word and Symbols by Rev. Bernard Strasser, O.S.B., Illustrated by Sister M.A. Justina Knapp, O.S.B., 1947 Bruce Publishing Company. I love this book, as it has some very interesting symbols.

Now, I have to admit, I'm guessing on these, too. It doesn't have an exact key, except -- apostles, martyrs, confessors, virgins and holy women. That covers 5, and so there are 3 left over. I am adding "holy men", so that's 2 duplicates, which I think will cover the martyrs. Any other intelligent guess will be welcomed.

Apostles: The top left is a bishop's staff or mitre, but since all the Twelve apostles were the first bishops, it covers for the Apostles.

Martyrs: Underneath is a sword, those who suffered martyrdom from the sword.

Martyrs: Below to the left is a palm frond, symbol of victory and martyrs.

Holy Men: Next to it is a cross.

Confessors: On the top right is a priest's stole, to indicate Confessors.

Martyrs: Below that is a hatchet or axe.

Holy Women: Another cross

Virgins: Fleur-de-lys or lily to symbolize purity and virginity.

=============

I also thought the crowns might relate to the beatitudes in some way, but I came up short for some.

1. Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Verse 3)

2. Blessed are the meek: for they shall posses the land. (Verse 4)

3. Blessed are they who mourn: for they shall be comforted. (Verse 5)

4. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill. (Verse 6) (Sword of Justice?)

5. Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. (Verse 7)

6. Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God. (Verse 8) (Lily)

7. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. (Verse 9)

8. Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Verse 10)

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
Talk about heaven, and have the girls draw what heaven would be like. If the girls don't like drawing, maybe scanning and printing holycards or from internet lots of different saints to make a collage.

There's a story by Father Brennan "The Most Beautiful Picture in the World" that would be a perfect reading for this. I'm scanning it now, and will post it on my blog in a few minutes.

Here's the link: The Most Beautiful Picture in the World. It's not well-written, but sweet.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Jenn,
Mary Reed Newland quotes the antiphon from vespers for today as: O ye Angels and Archangels, Thrones and Dominions, Principalities and Powers, Virtues of Heaven, Cherubim and Seraphim, ye Patriarchs and Prophets, holy Doctors of the Law, Apostles, all Martyrs of Christ, holy Confessors, Virgins of the Lord, Hermits and all Saints...Intercede for us.

So if you take Patriarchs, Prophets, Doctors, Apostles, Martyrs, Confessors, Virgins and Hermits, you've got 8. Don't know how you'd divvy out the symbols though .

andibc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote andibc

A book that has activities geared toward the younger crowd is A Treasure Chest of Traditions
Back to Top View andibc's Profile Search for other posts by andibc

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

andibc wrote:
A book that has activities geared toward the younger crowd is A Treasure Chest of Traditions

I keep forgetting to look in that book! I think it's because it's spiral bound I can't see the title.

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 26 2007 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Jenn - I'd love to read The Most Beautiful Picture in the World but when I click on the link it asks for a password. Is it still available for viewing? Thank you.
Back to Top View hmbress's Profile Search for other posts by hmbress

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2007 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

hmbress wrote:
Jenn - I'd love to read The Most Beautiful Picture in the World but when I click on the link it asks for a password. Is it still available for viewing? Thank you.

I've made it into a page here. Enjoy.

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 26 2007 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Wow, that was fast. Thanks!
Back to Top View hmbress's Profile Search for other posts by hmbress

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

I know this string is super old, but I posted an All Saints' Day craft today that I wanted to share:

All Saints' Day Craft

And if anyone has any new ideas for this year, I would love to see them!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version