Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Bravewriter Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Thanks to these posts I have been reading through the Bravewriter website.
I previewing The Arrow sample I saw a reference to MNGG. Could you tell me what that represents?
Thanks.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Umm...I'm going to ask my question again...
I am not a good writer. Grammar and English in general are not my strong points! Do you think that I could still use this program effectively with the children, or do you already need to know what you're doing to get the most out of it? Input please! I am "writing challenged."

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

teachingmom wrote:

And rats, Elizabeth. I was assuming that you probably already owned it and was going to ask you for a look before I ordered, but now I learn that Chari has it . . . . I'll just have to trust the reviews!

Got another one on its way . Come by at the end of next week

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Wendy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote Wendy

Hi Janette,

I think The Writer's Jungle would be perfect for you. The grammar references Julie recommends -- Nitty Gritty Grammar and More Nitty Gritty Grammar -- are extremely user-friendly. (My 10yodd will sometimes browse through them just because they're so entertaining. ) If you'd rather not spend $75 now, try out The Arrow, which is Julie's monthly copywork/dictation/writing instruction. You can buy a back issue for $6; I'm not sure what a year's subscription costs. And you can sign up for her Brave Writer yahoo group (BraveWriterMoms@yahoogroups.com), which gives you FlyLady-type reminders for the "Brave Writer Lifestyle." HTH!

Momma to Grace, Sam, Ben, Maggie, Mary Cate, and Jamie
Back to Top View Wendy's Profile Search for other posts by Wendy

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Wow!!!

I just spent the morning on the Bravewriter website, and emailing questions to Julie Bogart, who wrote back immediately, answering all of my questions!

I'm sold! This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for, and I know it will be amazing! I'm going to sell my IEW and tons of other writing curriculums, and buy The Writer's Jungle, and I may even sign up Jake for the writing class this April!

Wowsa! I'm quite impressed. Still have a few minor questions, but know they'll be answered in God's perfect timing.

Thanks!!!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

MacBeth wrote:
Lissa wrote:
that music program I tried out, the one with the off-key singers, comes to mind.
Hey did you ever get your money back on that nightmare? That was sooooo bad.

I did! I sent it back with a note explaining why I couldn't use it...They were very polite and sent a refund right away. Whew!

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

lilac hill wrote:
Thanks to these posts I have been reading through the Bravewriter website.
I previewing The Arrow sample I saw a reference to MNGG. Could you tell me what that represents?
Thanks.

I think it's the MORE NITTY GRITTY GRAMMAR book.

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

Hello everyone.

I've been a long time lurker on the CatholicCMason list and came here when I saw Elizabeth's announcement about the new forums. I love forums. They enable me to jump in periodically. And I need a place to get new ideas too.

I was surprised when I saw this thread about Brave Writer! So I've hung back to let you all discuss it without me.

I've been reading along for a few days and haven't wanted to interfere in the discussion because you all are doing a great job of discussing the Writer's Jungle, the lifestyle, the classes and so on (I also don't want to influence anyone's honest assessments of these either).

But today, both Lissa and Elizabeth have encouraged me to make my presence known. So if you've got a question for me to answer, please feel free to throw it out. (And please don't hesistate to share your honest reactions to Brave Writer. I like to learn from BW moms.)

The one thing I will say to MacBeth is that the WJ doesn't focus on argumentation. I am currently finishing up a high school level manual for that (hoping it will be ready in March). It will include attention to argument, academic writing and preparation for SAT/ACT timed essay writing.

If you need help with writing for teens, I've done some posting to my blog about teens especially in the last week. My blog entries are often stimulated by the questions I get in email and online so if there is something you want me to address, I'm all ears.

MNGG and NGG are grammar references that use syndicated cartoons to teach grammar principles. They are really fun! (More Nitty Gritty Grammar and Nitty Gritty Grammar— by Edith Fine and Judith Josephson)

And Alice, your girls' snowflake descriptions took my breath away! Delightful! The power of children's voice. It never gets old.

Julie Bogart
Back to Top View juliecinci's Profile Search for other posts by juliecinci Visit juliecinci's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Hey Julie! Glad to "see" you here! Thans for answering my question. I'm going to take a look at Alice's book and see if it's what I need right now (if I need anything...). What's the address of your blog? I'd like to take a look!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

A Brave Writer's Life in Brief

I'd say that if you are comfortable with how you write with your kids and are just looking for some new ideas or support, you could just use the blog and website and save yourself the extra money for the book.

Julie
Back to Top View juliecinci's Profile Search for other posts by juliecinci Visit juliecinci's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

I didn't know Julie was on our list, VERY cool! Well, now you know where my questions came from this morning, Julie! Thanks again for answering them.

This morning, one of my questions to Julie was, Do I take the Basics course and try to implement with my children, or do I have my 14yo take the Intermediate course this April because he's in 9th grade already?

The problem is that Jake hasn't had much instructional writing, he's only written from his heart, so he basically has very little in terms of mechanics.

BUT, I'm concerned, because I need to prepare him for high school writing and SATs and essays, etc. and I'm not sure which route to take.

I did order Writer's Jungle, and will implement this with the kids as soon as I read it! I spoke to Jake this morning, and he is reluctant to take an online course, because he's afraid I'm sure. But he'll do whatever I ask (he's a great kid).

Julie, will you be offering the Intermediate course in the Fall? I was thinking that if we work on some basics the rest of the year after the book comes, and I try to get some of that down, then if the class is offered in the Fall, I could sign him up for the Intermediate class then???   That's what my gut is telling me.

I don't want him to be frustrated right off the bat.

Did I just answer my own question?????   

Thanks for any insight any of you might be able to give me. I'm LOVING my choice to use Bravewriter!!!!

Thanks!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Julie,
Briefly, are there online courses still open for this spring?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

Yes. All three still have openings.

The Kidswrite Basic is almost full (maybe six spaces). Just So Stories is a GREAT first class if you can't get in Kidswrite Basic and it has lots of openings left. (It will fill. It always does.)

Kidswrite Intermediate is about half full. KWI will not be offered again until winter quarter next year.

(I'm not always online this much during the day, but I'm frantically trying to finish a paper for my class tonight!)

Julie

Jeanne
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Jeanne

I have been following this thread with great interest, I feel very inadequate when it comes to teaching my children writing.

This program sounds great. I'm jumping in and have signed two of my children up for the basic class.

Thanks for all the wisdom.

Julie, I saw on your site you are from Cincinnati, we are just across the river in Northern Kentucky. My children are looking forward to the predicted snowfall tomorrow.

Thanks again!!

P hi li ppians   4:13
Back to Top View Jeanne's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanne

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2005 at 12:40am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

I've been away from my computer all day, but WELCOME JULIE! It's great to have you here.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2005 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Bravewriter for babies:

This morning, I had baby Cecilia wrapped in a blanket so that only her fuzzy golden head peeped out. Three year old Neil woke up, saw only the back of her head, and said, "Mommy, Cecilia looks like honey." I was a bit puzzled and said, "Who's honey?" "Honey," he explained, "is a type of food."

Then it hit me--it's the Writer's Jungle! He was making an observation and describing it in his own words. You see, even the little ones are getting into the act!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2005 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

So Jeanne, are you buried in snow?

Ugh! I am ready to be done. We've got it covering everything again. But so far, we don't need to shovel. I love snow in December and January. I'm finished with it when my crocuses bloom, which they did this week. Now they are covered.

My snow simile for the day:
Snow is like a white body bag swallowing the new life around me.

Julie

Jeanne
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 24 2005 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Jeanne

juliecinci wrote:
So Jeanne, are you buried in snow?

Ugh! I am ready to be done. We've got it covering everything again. But so far, we don't need to shovel. I love snow in December and January. I'm finished with it when my crocuses bloom, which they did this week. Now they are covered.

My snow simile for the day:
Snow is like a white body bag swallowing the nearound me.
w life
Julie

Jeanne
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 24 2005 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Jeanne

oops, I'm still trying to figure out how to quote from a post to my reply. I will have to keep trying.

Julie,

I agree with your simile--My kids are praying for more snow!!!

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2005 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

Thought I'd send a head's up. Kidswrite Basic just filled up this morning. If you are interested in another course, the Just So Stories is equally useful as a first step.

Thanks for the warm welcome here. You're a great group of women.

Julie

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version