Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Age for Catholic Mosaic Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kaw912
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote kaw912

Hello all - forgive me if this has been discussed here before, but what ages do you all consider the Catholic Mosaic books to be appropriate for? I ordered Cay Gibson's book a few months back and have found it very inspiring and wanted to "jump into" reading these books with my 3 1/2 y.o. dd, but the books seem a bit long for her - she loses interest by about 1/2 way through most of them.

Any advice on good Catholic books that would be more approriate for her age level?

Thanks,

Kathy in VA
Back to Top View kaw912's Profile Search for other posts by kaw912

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kathy,

My little guy is 3 years old, so I'm in a similar boat as you. If I'm steering you incorrectly, Cay can correct me.

Here's what I do. I look over the suggested book list and try to find as many in our library and perhaps the local Catholic book store so I can preview. There are many that are just right for my son, but others are a bit lofty and wordy.

For example, I saw the Halloween suggested book in our bookstore "Father Philip Tells a Ghost Story" and while I loved it, I thought it would be over his head, as it jumps into ghosts and purgatory.

For the feast of St. Francis, there were 3 titles on St. Francis. Ds favorite was by Brian Wildsmith, but we own the others. I read Joslin's book, but he didn't like that as much. DePaola we talked about, as it's extremely wordy (we haven't introduced "chapter book reading")

This is where I do the Catholic Mosaic in small chunks. It's not a new idea to present the faith through pictures. Think of all the years that people couldn't read, but the illuminated manuscriptions, stained glass windows and other beautiful art had several purposes -- to teach elements of the Faith, to remind us about our Faith, and to gently nudge us to focus our attention on God.

Most of these books are just so gorgeous, that I can present the pictures to my son, and sometimes just shorten or ad lib the story. As he grows older, I can read the whole text. It's been working so far. There have been books I've presented that he isn't interested, but has come back in a few months or a year and really wants to hear all the words.

For example, Marianna Mayer's "Twelve Apostles" (recommended for Pentecost) has such breathtaking masterpieces of each Apostle. I used it for the feast of St. Matthew. I didn't use the text, but had the painting and discussed St. Matthew.

At first I felt guilty to even say this -- to not read a picture book as it was intended, sacrilege! Heretical! But I think it's natural. What do I do in the store when buying a book? I thumb through, look through the pages, look over the illustrations, the key points. I might even do that a few times, "previewing" the book...then I get to the meat and heart later.

Last year we did St. Francis books, and all were over his head. This year we read more, and he appreciated many of them, but not all. Next year we can add more and expand our presentation.

I read over the Catholic Mosaic text for ideas, but at this age it's a little much, so for now we keep it light.

I find this is the perfect age to start. I have time to accumulate titles in my library, to expand and plan out my Liturgical Year. My little one loves having books or pictures and stories to match the feast day. He'll wake up in the morning and ask me "Mommy, what feast day is it?"

But your other question, about more age appropriate books, I can name quite a few. What areas are you interested? Planning out Advent, something now, general on the Faith, special saints?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

One more thought.

Checking out the books, or having them around makes them familiar friends. Even if your daughter just pores over the pictures, it makes an imprint in her memory.

I remember looking over books in my house growing up, poring over the pictures. I couldn't wait to read to find out what the story was all about. It made reading the book even more special, because I had the anticipation.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2006 at 12:56am | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

Could someone give me there ideas on this question.

I would just like to ask a question relating to the estimated age of The Catholic Mosaic, say from the youngest to oldest child. I get from the post above about how you could us it and twik it for the younger ones but the older one... I don't know.
I have heard that it suits children up to 12-13 and not really much older. Is this right? I understand that it depends on the child and how creative you are, I suppose I'm wondering if you just followed the Mosaic and didn't go off from it on another inspired path, what would be the max age it would suit.
I haven't bought Mosaic yet but have one waiting for me - I think. I have a list of some of the books - but I only have four of the books so far, in the hope of buying once I know what the whole out lay will be, or it may be better to buy month to month to get started. Not sure yet.
But this question has been on my mind and probably hindering me from going ahead. (plus it costs quite a few of bickies).

I'll be interested to see what you all have got to say.

Thanks
Blessings
Chemai

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 5:34am | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

Don't get me wrong from my post above. I am very excited about CM for all my dc's, from my litttles to my older children, and I have looked over some of the books and they are all very impressive. Here in Australia they are probably alot more expensive than they are in the US. For all the books it will probably cost around $1000 if you are starting from scratch. Which I virtually am. I'm just curious about what the age brackett would be. There is no cynicism here - just a sincere curiosity.

Thanks

Chemai

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2006 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

Thanks Erin in your post regarding older children and some ideas for the specific books you have mentioned.
I'll take that and ponder it for other books as well, and be patient for when the time comes for me to purchase mine.

God bless
Chemai

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 17 2006 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Chemai

Mosaic is not meant to be a program in itelf, it is an enhancer of our Faith teaching in a beautiful and achievable manner. Children remember books vividly and love revisiting them, what Cay has done with Mosaic is brilliant in that it takes Catholic books and follows the liturgical year. Now if its a busy week you may just read the book if you have more time then you can do her recommended activity and it may even trigger an idea to do another one. If that occurs please share here as Cay loves to hear these stories. Th brilliance I find with Mosaic is it is something I can do with all my children as good books are appealing no matter what age.

Three Trees and The Crippled Lamb arrived yesterday Chiara (13) took them away to read and later came back asking whether we had any more like them to read Regards the cost here in Australia I advise that you buy one per month so that eventually over a 4 year period you have them all. (Can't take credit for that idea, that was David's suggestion)

You'd be surprised once you are looking though, that you may actually find some second hand. on our holidays at the Gold Coast recently I found the BEST bookshop, Cooloangatta Bookshop and picked up a couple of the books in immaculate condition for $5!!!! They apparently get in books from England and America. I spent over $100 there. Everytime we went past it on the way to the beach I wanted to go back in and everybody got behind me and pushed me along So mean

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2006 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

Dear Erin,

Thanks for your reply. I know what you mean by children loving books and revisiting them, my dc's certainly have their favorites also.
We have bought from the Coolangatta bookshop ourselves over the years but not since being interested in CM. So I will definitly have a look next time I'm up there. My mother lives close by to Coolangatta.
We do a lot of read-a-loud books,(especially Saints lives, every morning, and we are reading Door in the Wall at present) maybe because I'm more of a text book/Seton style person and don't really use a Charlotte Mason style of teaching that I'm looking for ideas. Yes I have thought of month by month buying from Anna, and we may do that, dh is waiting to see how much in total the books might be and when we get a big payout jump in and buy them all. Not sure yet, Christmas is now so close, I may buy some for pressies, as I did last year - The Princess and the Kiss, The Weight of the Mass, The Squire and the Scroll were last years books. I may do that again this year.
It's been a weird year and I haven't yet got it all together, I'm working on it.

Thanks for your responce.
God Bless
Chemai

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version