Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: flying by the seat of my pants Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 11 2006 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote SaraP

My oldest is just 5 so unstructured, delight directed learning is very much the way of things for us right now. But 5yo DS is also so enthusiastic an interested (like most kids, I think) about any variety of subjects and I want to feed that as much as I can.

Last month he was into the solar system and we checked out every picture book on the topic in the library system, visited the planetarium and painted paper plates like each of the planets. . . no problem, great fun and we all learned.

Now he is interested in explorers (a la Christopher Columbus), but history is not my forte and I am finding many of the books coming from the library objectionable. One is very heavy on evolution, another harps on 'inflicting' Christianity on native peoples. Others are just too much for a sensitive 5yo (those Aztecs were brutal).

Does anyone have suggestions as to how to put together a booklist on the fly (before the child loses interest)? Where do you look when you are starting down a new rabbit trail? How do you avoid the objectionable books?

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2006 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

bump

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 12 2006 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I always start with MacBeth's booklists (her geography page lists some explorer books), the list in the back of Real Learning, and a search on this board. I look through the Our Father's House and Emmanuel Books catalogs too. Nothing objectional should come up with those lists.      I also look through my old Sonlight catalog and I search our library database. Often I look up the library books on Amazon to get a feel for the book. At the library I pre-read/skim books before I give them to the kids and I browse the craft book section for good hands-on stuff.

Some possibilities for the explorer theme are the d'Aulaire books, Jean Fritz books, A picture book of Christopher Columbus (David Adler), Ship Ahoy! and Follow the Dream (Peter Sis), The Great adventure of Christopher Columbus : a pop-up book (Jean Fritz. Illustrated by Tomie dePaola). I think "explorers" is a harder topic to find appropriate books at a 5yo level. Hopefully the next rabbit trail will be easier!   

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2006 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I tend to use what we have on hand - in our home library, on the internet or in the public linrary. And gloss over any unsuitable things.

For booklists, I often peruse the Sonlight catalogue or do an internet search for themes/booklists on a topic. I am always amazed at what I find!

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2006 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I tend to do some basic preparation ahead of time. I keep lists of resources and books on various subjects that seem like they might ring a bell with my kids. That way when they get interested in something I have a head start.

I also look for booklists already made by people and companies I trust, as Janette said.

With younger kids I read the books to the kids and select the bits I think will be of interest and not objectionable.   When my second son was young I could even get grown-up books on his topics and then he would browse through the pics and I'd read him the captions and discuss anything that did not make sense.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2006 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Flying by the seat of my pants is my middle name!    You can quickly throw something together by accessing Enchanted learning-they have a whole thing on Christopher Columbus this week. Also, the d'Aulaires have a lovely book on Columbus..

Google images on Columbus and print pics of paintings of Columbus for your children to color or highlight, likewise maps or other paintings pertaining to Columbus.

Listen to Dvorak's "New World Symphony". Another idea-listen to Hesperion's recording "Music for the Spanish Kings" to hear the music Columbus himself might well have heard in his day.

Sail toy boats on a pond. Compare how boats changed from the time of Columbus to the 1700s. Take a tape measure and walk out how large (or in this case, SMALL) the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria were. Your kids will be amazed.

Memorize Rosemary and Stephen Vincent Benet's poem (or one or two stanzas of it) on Columbus, or find another Columbus poem, or write your own.

Write a pretend story about sailing with Columbus-or let your little ones dictate. Illustrate it. Have them make a list of supplies they would have to bring for the long voyage-and remember, no refrig!

Draw-Write-Now has an issue on Columbus, with instructions on how to draw nice boats, figures, palm trees and so on, as well as easy copywork and dictation. I think that's in Book Two.

Study maps and look at the globe to see how far he travelled. DRAW maps-do salt dough maps (always a crowd pleaser with the younger set).

Use the internet, you'll find boatloads of Columbus material out there!

Have fun.

Kelly in FL

Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 13 2006 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

WJFR wrote:
With younger kids I read the books to the kids and select the bits I think will be of interest and not objectionable.   When my second son was young I could even get grown-up books on his topics and then he would browse through the pics and I'd read him the captions and discuss anything that did not make sense.

Yes! I meant to say that too. We often use books just for the pictures and I explain without using the written text (which is often too long to hold my 5yo's attention anyway). And if you're looking at the book together, it's very easy to skip the objectionable paragraphs or whole sections.

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2006 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

Thank you all and, Kelly, I am very impressed . . . you've just gone and planned the whole thing for me!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Hang around this board long enough, you'll be amazed how much you learn.    I know I've learned so many how-tos from this gang.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version