Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Catechesis Materials Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Here's all you need for the crucifixion
and the last supper.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Thank you so much Elizabeth. My kids will be so excited! God bless you!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Elizabeth wrote:
Here's all you need for the crucifixion
and the last supper.

Thanks Elizabeth - my (tired and hyperemesis) brain! I was looking at Godly Play and not Worship Woodworks.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

See this thread for more discussion on Worship Woodworks and Icons.

I still haven't gotten any figures together for presentations...I know what my biggest problems are: money and/or time. I worry about spending a bunch of money on ready-made materials for just my one child. And the idea of making anything really intimidates me. I find I have only little chunks of time. I'm still trying to make my sandpaper letters!

So I'm taking this discussion to another angle. If you only have one or two littles at home that you will go through the materials, what is your approach?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Another question on the Worship Woodworks. Can you build on one set to another? Have you used the apostles and Jesus from the Last Supper for other presentations? Instead of buying all the pieces for each presentation do you just add on individual pieces?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

JennGM wrote:
I still haven't gotten any figures together for presentations...I know what my biggest problems are: money and/or time. I worry about spending a bunch of money on ready-made materials for just my one child. And the idea of making anything really intimidates me.

I have the same trouble, Jenn. I've had Moira's albums for two years now, and I've made little progress developing materials.

Your son is young yet, right? I mean under five? I'm considering picking up the Last Supper and Crucifixion figures this year. I'm hoping, even for my now five year old, the figures will have a very long interest-life. My son is ten, but he will still have interest, so we'll get several years out of them, at least. I am such the recovering accountant, calculating pay-back periods.

I have to admit I looked at the catalog of materiasl for the site Elizabeth posted and got very overwhelmed, but talked myself down, saying, "You don't have to buy all of it. Just get what you need right now, and see how it goes over. It'll be OK."   

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

JennGM wrote:
Another question on the Worship Woodworks. Can you build on one set to another? Have you used the apostles and Jesus from the Last Supper for other presentations? Instead of buying all the pieces for each presentation do you just add on individual pieces?

I was wondering the same thing. Could that be the reason the catalog offers the "Any Single Wood Figure" option?

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Cay addressed this somewhat here .

Moira's albums are wonderful, and I just take it one lesson at a time. Don't get caught up in ALL of it. The lessons are beautiful and the verbiage she uses really captures the children's interest. It would be a shame to NOT do them b/c you think you have to have everything a particular way. I guess this isn't really in the thinking of the original Montessori Atrium, but we make do with whatever we can for our own home and children.

I just use nativity figures, felt, and whatever else we have around the house. If i'm missing something in particular, then I will spend the 20 minutes making it or dh will. But it doesn't happen often. I will probably take a coffee can, coat it / cover it with something (that looks like earth), cut a whole in it and place a big rock in front of it. voila...the tomb! When moira says 'use wood' i use cardboard! And, my girls do the decorating.

Our Father's House does have patterns for a set of figures to cut out of wood to paint, if you want to do your own. I think the set is $10. There are A LOT of figures there. And, it could be very easy with a handy hubby. We just haven't done cuz of time and I haven't found it nec yet, as i've made do with other figures.   

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

JennGM wrote:
See this thread for more discussion on Worship Woodworks and Icons.

I still haven't gotten any figures together for presentations...I know what my biggest problems are: money and/or time. I worry about spending a bunch of money on ready-made materials for just my one child. And the idea of making anything really intimidates me. I find I have only little chunks of time. I'm still trying to make my sandpaper letters!

So I'm taking this discussion to another angle. If you only have one or two littles at home that you will go through the materials, what is your approach?

Jenn - money and time are my biggest problems too. (and energy!!) I just cannot think of making much right now. I am making my Lenten plans right now - using Moira's Album, Catholic Mosaic and other ideas from Catholic Culture, Domestic Church, this forum etc. I felt a little overwhelmed when planning Advent. So I am keeping it very simple. I am only picking a couple of Moira's presentations (there is always next Lent!), Catholic Mosiac and some of our regular Lent traditions. Unfortunately budget is now a bigger issue - the part-time work I was doing is coming to an end at the end of Feb - drastic for our income but I am so tired I am looking forward to free weekends. I am still trying to make a decision on the Worship Woodworks.

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

SuzanneG wrote:
If i'm missing something in particular, then I will spend the 20 minutes making it or dh will. But it doesn't happen often. I will probably take a coffee can, coat it / cover it with something (that looks like earth), cut a whole in it and place a big rock in front of it. voila...the tomb!

If you can figure out how to accomplish making a tomb and make the tomb in 20 minutes you are way ahead of me! I don't think I could do either of those tasks in 20 minutes, I'm so craft-impaired.

I think I'm going to buy figures from Worship Woodworks and figure out the rest of the parts. Lent and Easter first!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 12:48am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I just made a tomb.

An old straw hat that I don't need anymore (a fairly stiff one that will stand on it's own) (there are always straw hats at thrift stores)
Cut the brim off and cut a hole in the side (about 3-4").
Attached "peet moss" to the top with elmer's glue.
Put a 4" rock in front of it.
It looks extremely REAL! My kids guessed what it was before I even told them what I was doing, so it must not be THAT bad.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SuzanneG wrote:
I just made a tomb.

An old straw hat that I don't need anymore (a fairly stiff one that will stand on it's own) (there are always straw hats at thrift stores)
It looks extremely REAL! My kids guessed what it was before I even told them what I was doing, so it must not be THAT bad.

Wow, great tomb! I made one last year by using Sculpey Clay over a mound of aluminum foil and then painted it. I made a garden scene...and my son loved it. But I had no characters, and I'll have to make something bigger this year.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

JennGM wrote:
SuzanneG wrote:
I just made a tomb.

Wow, great tomb! I made one last year by using Sculpey Clay over a mound of aluminum foil and then painted it. I made a garden scene...and my son loved it. But I had no characters, and I'll have to make something bigger this year.

You girls rule! I love this kind of inexpensive creativity.   

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

SuzanneG wrote:
I just made a tomb.

This is a great idea! My husband and I were brainstorming papier mache last night, but your idea sounds much...neater. As soon as we can get out of our driveway safely I'm going to Goodwill for a straw hat.

I got my husband's blessing to buy the Last Passover and Crucifixion figures from Worship Woodworks last night, so that's done. If anyone is considering buying figures for Lent you may need to do it quickly to get them in time for Holy Week, as there is a 4-6 week lead time posted on the site if the items are not in stock.

I found my CGS box (created during our move last spring) and discovered I really don't have much more I need to buy, after the figures of course. I went through Moria's albums to finish a shopping/creating list for Lent. Here's a question: I don't know where to buy the wheat seeds called for in the "Grain of Wheat" presentation. Where can I find them, or can I substitute something else? Opinions?

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Cay Gibson wrote:
JennGM wrote:
SuzanneG wrote:
I just made a tomb.

You girls rule! I love this kind of inexpensive creativity.   

I 2nd Cay!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

In case you missed this on the Why Wooden? thread, you all MUST see Tracy's Last Supper Figures . They're so GREAT!   

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2007 at 3:50am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Tracy your figures are very cute.

I'm planning on doing Moira's Jesus in the Wilderness presentation. Does anyone know where to get a Satan figure? I didn't see one on Worship Woodworks. Has anyone made one?

I also wondered where to get the miniature bread, candlesticks, pitcher and bowls for the Last Supper.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 16 2007 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

Cheryl, I found all of the wooden materials at Michaels. They had bowls, candlesticks and we used a milk bottle figure for the cup with red sharpie colored in the center to make it look full of wine.

The clothespins have stands which I attached with a bit of wood glue and also you can get the wooden spheres there that have a hole in them already and then you just put a dab of glue on the top of the clothespin and pop the head on.

If you are putting felt cloaks on you should put them on over the top of the clothspin before you attach the head.

I have no idea how I owuld make a Satan, the thought of it makes me uncomfortable.

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2007 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

onemoretracy wrote:
Cheryl, I found all of the wooden materials at Michaels. They had bowls, candlesticks and we used a milk bottle figure for the cup with red sharpie colored in the center to make it look full of wine.

The clothespins have stands which I attached with a bit of wood glue and also you can get the wooden spheres there that have a hole in them already and then you just put a dab of glue on the top of the clothespin and pop the head on.

If you are putting felt cloaks on you should put them on over the top of the clothspin before you attach the head.

I have no idea how I owuld make a Satan, the thought of it makes me uncomfortable.

Wow - Tracy - I am so impressed. I have most of the stuff from Michaels - you have inspired me.

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2007 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

How about a serpent or a dragon for Satan? Or perhaps some ugly looking, demonic sort of action figure that's on the smallish side. I'm sure they make something like that. There are so many creepy kids shows out there these days...

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version