Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Catechesis Materials Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 08 2006 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I went through the old threads in this forum and couldn't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I need some places that sell materials for presentations. And ideas on figures for the presentations. I'm setting up a home atrium for 3-6, and trying to plan out Advent and Mass presentations.

My sister's school uses Fontanini figures for some of the presentations, which I thought a great idea, but that leads me to a question for inexpensive (?) sources for those.

How about your mass kits? Our Father's House and CAtholic Montessori are the two sources I've found.

For someone who doesn't have access to craftsman in the family, any suggestions?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 08 2006 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, someone suggested a travel or portable Mass kit that a priest would use as another idea. But are they always so expensive?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2006 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

I have had a hard time accepting the prices I've seen on the Mass kits in the few homeschooling places mentioned in previous posts. What I did, instead, was just search thrift stores and garage sales for acceptable, less pricey, alternatives.

There was also a wonderful idea mentioned of using gold spraypaint on otherwise plain-looking items so they look pretty. Thus, you could look for inexpensive wood or plastic items and spraypaint them. This is what I plan to do with a pair of wooden candle holders I have. I may also make the paten out of modling clay, let it harden, and then paint it gold. Either that, or find a small plate and paint it.

For the figures, I have decided to make my own clothespin dolls and hand sew their little clothes out of felt pieces. I just finished with the 12 Apostles for the Last Supper/Cenacle work for my older kids, and my 2 yo loves playing with them. I didn't even draw their faces on yet! IF you have a Hobby Lobby nearby or some other craft store, you should be able to find the pins and stands with no problem. I used pipe cleaners to make the arms then slipped the little tunics over them and pulled the arms through the armholes. I plan to make similar folks for the infancy narratives.

You could also look into a children's nativity set, since that would likely be cheaper than Fontanini (though not as beautiful). I picked up this one at the local Catholic store a few years ago (scroll down to plastic nativity). It's not cartoonish looking at all, quite nice figures. If I can find all the pieces, I may use that instead.   There is also a neat wooden nativity building set.   We also have a Little People one and a Playmobil one, though I can't seem to find all the pieces for ANY of them right now! Grr...

The environments for many presentations can be made using photo boxes and can double as storage. See the Faith Expressions website for more ideas and figurines.

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2006 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

I forgot to add that you can also peruse places that sell dollhouse stuff for those itty-bitty items for other presentations. For example, I found some tiny candle sticks for the Mass presentation that is found in Moira's second book (6-9). I believe she suggests using the model from the Last Supper to use along with the other Mass stuff (I need to check the book).

Anyway, you can find little things that will add to the environment of the presentation (infancy narratives, whatever). A little broom for Mary's home, little boxes, bowls, birds, etc. You could also look in the toy store for Barbie or Playmobil accessories...think outside the box. I discovered a fantastic mini chalice from one of our Playmobil sets!

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 11 2006 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks, Val. Lots of great ideas. I have problems with the prices, too. But the time it takes to track things down or put them together sometimes it seems worth it! Plus, if things look shoddy, it's not inspiring.

I love the idea of photo storage boxes.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2006 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Hi Jenn

I am just starting out with CGS - but after talking corresponding with Moira decided to start with Manual 2 and I have two preparing for First Holy Communion this year as well as older and younger. The cost of buying a lot of the things is way beyond us - and I do not have a lot of time, energy or artistic ability! But I have had a lot of good ideas and help from the kids. This is my skeleton plan:

1) Mini mass kit and altar linens - I will buy from either OFH or CM
2) We have a wonderful plastic nativity set that we will use.
3) I am experimenting with clothes pin dolls - I got the big head ones from the dollar store - problem is that they do not stand up. So I am going to anchor them in playdough. We will glue on clothes made from fabric ends. I have to let go of my perfectionist tendencies and accept that it is going to take me years to collect things like apostle symbols etc
4) My daughter came up with the idea of making people out of upside down paper cups - she drew on a face and stuck on hair and clothes - not as sturdy as wood - but at least a start and the kids will enjoy helping them. If we make them I can send you a picture
5) I will buy a Good Shepherd statue - not sure from where.
6) I will make a Good Shepherd scene using a cake presentation tray (from Michaels) covered with green textured sticky drawer liners (saw this in dollar store and target) and use popsicle/craft sticks for a fence
7) Target has started selling individual farm animals. I am going to look for my sheep there.
8) We have set up our prayer table and I am in the process of making liturgical colored cloths - my daughter had make runners until we had time to make full cloths. I am saving different sized boxes to make an altar and a credence table.

I just wish I had more hours in the day!

Marilyn in VA

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Wendi DeGrandpr
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 12 2006 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote Wendi DeGrandpr

What have you used as an alter table. I have been looking for something VERY inexpensive that is low enough for the kids to easily use and high enough to prevent accidents from dogs with wagging tales and curious noses.
Where is your alter table in your house and do you find it to be accessible where you have it?
Maybe I am thinking about this too much but I haven't figured out where it can go to be accessible and not have to worry about the mass kit being broken.

"We can do no great things - only small things with great love." Blessed Mother Teresa
Back to Top View Wendi DeGrandpr's Profile Search for other posts by Wendi DeGrandpr

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2006 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Great ideas, Marilyn! You're right, there aren't enough hours in the day.

And this week I tried visiting local thrift stores for some ideas...and completely bombed. They are picked clean. To hit garage sales takes time...and it's all hit or miss. I don't know how people do it! I guess running errands drains me so that I'd rather just pay for something and have it over with. While I love a good hunt, I don't like to when I want it yesterday, KWIM?

My altar is a little table I removed the legs. It's not perfect, but it will do for now.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2006 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Illuminated Ink is having a free shipping sale with 10% off All Saints stuff until Sunday. They have a Jesse tree kit with 3-d ornaments - which I am thinking of getting for part of the CGS work this year - problem is that there are only 12 ornaments - but I think still possible. They also have Saint symbol stickers - which may be useful for making the 12 apostles figures - I have to check the list of saints included on their site.

Marilyn

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2006 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I am trying to figure out whether to buy the Mass materials from Catholic Montessori or Our Fathers House - does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks

Marilyn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 13 2006 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MarilynW wrote:
I am trying to figure out whether to buy the Mass materials from Catholic Montessori or Our Fathers House - does anyone have any advice on this?

I'm wondering the same question. I can't afford the whole package deal at Catholic Montessori...ouch. I think I'm going with OFH, but then thinking I need to add the linens...it just all adds up. I have this money I'm trying to decide on how to fit it all in for books, montessori material and catechesis and I do think this should take priority. But then I'm not sure.

Thanks for the tip about Illuminated Ink. I wish they would add more for O Antiphons and Jesse Tree. I have asked Fran, but she's so busy she's not sure when.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2006 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Jen - I have added up the totals for both - and they are similar for like items - CM does have a tabernacle and ciborium included, as well as the box. But I still am finding it about $100 more. I will probably do OFH - but i would like the ciborium and tabernacle. I will probably do mine as part of Christmas expenditure - as my school budget has been huge this year.

BTW - please would you tell me how to quote from someone's post - I cannot figure it out.

Thanks

Marilyn

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2006 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

OK, here's another cheapie idea for the linens. Of course, it could also be another hit or miss. I visited Big Lots last week and found white linen-looking dishtowels for $3! I imagine you might find something similar at a dollar store chain. I will use these for the altar linens, adding little red crosses in Sharpie to the appropriate pieces. I already have a cloth to use for the tablecloth.

To quote someone, click on the quote button on the person's post...this will add it in the reply box below. Then cut out the parts you don't want quoted and delete.

As far as the altar table....I haven't set ours up yet. I will either use the small table from my daughter's room or else do the overturned box idea suggested in Moira's album. To keep pieces from getting lost or damaged, keep them in a separate box to be taken out when a child wants to work with them. If you need to put the box up, do so. I don't see a problem w/a child asking for your help to get it down.

Valerie

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2006 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

vmalott wrote:
OK, here's another cheapie idea for the linens. Of course, it could also be another hit or miss. I visited Big Lots last week and found white linen-looking dishtowels for $3! I imagine you might find something similar at a dollar store chain. I will use these for the altar linens, adding little red crosses in Sharpie to the appropriate pieces. I already have a cloth to use for the tablecloth.

Again with the great ideas! Thanks so much, Valerie. Your post reminded me I have tons of linen and cotton napkins upstairs passed on to me by dh's aunt...more than I could ever use if I was entertaining daily! I also have a few tablecloths. One of the places I love looking are antique stores. I don't buy the premium tablecloths and linens, but sometimes there are just some that are lovely that can be fixed, cleaned or whatever for cheap.

What dimensions should I look for in the altar linens?

And for the altar cloth, should it only cover the tabletop, with no draping on the sides?

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We started the 3-5 album about 6 weeks ago with my 3,4, and 5 year old. So I’m still getting things together. I’ve found this discussion really helpful….thanks, everyone for sharing what you’re doing.

We purchased the Min Mass Kit, Ciborium, and Altar Linens from Our Father’s House

This is what is included and the dimensions for the altar cloths:
Altar Cloth 11x34
Corporal 10x10”
Pall 3” square
Purificator 6x 8 ½”
Finger Towel 8 x 10”

The linens are STARCHED and the folds are “permanent” which helps in the folding process….esp with the 3 and 4 year old. I’m not an expert on “ironing” so I don’t know how the ‘stiff-starching’ will hold up with 4 people folding and handling it over the years. But, I have found this helpful with the littles…..as opposed to a reg piece of material that is more flimsy. Of course, you can always starch yourself! Ha! I actually don’t think I’ve ever done this!
See Danielle Bean's post "Pressing On" to laugh about ironing!

Also, the red cross in the center of the corporal and the purificator is KEY…..but, again, you could do that yourself….but is it worth the work?

I just posted about our Altar Presentation IV on my blog...please don’t laugh hysterically at my Tabernacle (homemade). (It actually looks much better in the pictures than it does in real life!)

Suzanne in WA
Mom to 4 girls....age 5,4,3,6months
Gladdest Hours
Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Dear Suzanne

Thanks so much for posting and for the photos on your blog. You have helped me decide to order from OFH and also given me ideas for my own tabernacle. The photos are great. We are using Manual 2 but there are many Mass presentations.

Blessings

Marilyn

Jordan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Jordan

Suzanne,

I think your gold tabernacle is brilliant!

Jordan
Back to Top View Jordan's Profile Search for other posts by Jordan

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

I am new to this forum ... looking for a good
resource(s) for wooden figures for Bible stories, Lent, etc. I have some, but want to add to my collection.

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Maria,
I've found most of what I need at Worship Woodworks.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Elizabeth wrote:
Maria,
I've found most of what I need at Worship Woodworks.

Elizabeth - I could not find last supper and crucifixion/resurrection figures at Worship Woodworks. I love the figures on your blog entry today - are those Worship woodworks?c

Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version