Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Recommended Books about St Therese of L Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 06 2006 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

The Autumn Days of Grace have Marianna and I wandering down a lovely Rabbit Trail populated with Saints and Feast Day fun.

However, she wants to know more about St Therese of Lisieux. My library had one book, Saint Therese of Lisieux: A Penguin Life, which is an easy read and would make a great read aloud. But I'm really glad I decided to read it first as it is sprinkled with 'Post-Freudian Suspicions' (as the author calls it) - innocent thoughts by Therese are analyzed for potential repressed sexuality. Then the author states that it isn't so and was meant by Therese to be quite innocent but she drags her readers through the process one too many times for my liking.

So. If you have a voracious 11 year old reader, what books on St Therese would you recommend for her?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2006 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Jennifer,

Go right to the source -- Story of a Soul is probably just about right for your daughter. And would certainly lend itself to a great read aloud for you both.

St. Therese and the Roses might be a bit young for her, but she could certainly read it on her own.

Hope that helps!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 06 2006 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Jennifer,

The timing of your question is terrific. My sister just returned a big bag of Therese books to me this week, so I have them in front of me to refer to you.

I was searching for children's books on Therese this weekend. I came across some simple books, picture books...all too babyish for Marianna, and not to my liking for my son, either. The picture book had great text, but the drawings were so modern I couldn't handle it. I showed my husband to see if he thought it would be good, and he disliked the drawings too. When I say "modern" I mean they depict St. Therese and her family as in 20th century. Yuck.

The others were a little too syrupy sweet. She's a hard one to pull off for littles, because she didn't DO anything that is easy to illustrate. Her story isn't exciting...it's deeply spiritual. But I digress....

Is Marianna a reader like you? You mentioned that you read "A Woman Clothed with a Sun" around her age, just like me. If so, I would concur with Mary G. that Story of a Soul would be good.

I did try reading the autobiography when I was Marianna's age. I found I enjoyed it to a point...Therese's convent days were deeply profound and spiritual and I wasn't at that level yet. But I had picked up the book because my mother had talked about it, so we discussed it. I enjoyed the childhood reminiscinces.

But it is an autobiography, and it's nice to look elsewhere and soak in some outside observations. All of these below are adult books, but I really think she could handle most of the material.

I finished recently The Story of a Life by Guy Gaucher. Tremendous biography. Of all the books I read about the Little Flower (and I've read many), this one fit in missing pieces. I can't tell you how many times I would say "So that's what/who that is!"

Another author that I have really enjoyed is Stephane-Joseph Piat. Two of his works: The Story of a Family and Celine. The latter I just recently read and just loved it. Celine was really responsible for getting Therese canonized. She took photographs, drew, painted and wrote proficiently. That's a rabbit trail I want to go on next...digging up all HER writings and paintings. TAN Books has reprinted many of these...I just haven't found them for cheap/free.

At the JPII Cultural Center in DC is a painting of St. Therese painted by her sister Celine. But this book discusses the change in culture, and how her hard work was considered too flowery and useless.

Maurice and Therese is a great book about her spiritual seminarian brother that she corresponded to and prayed for. Unfortunately he lost his vocation, but the story is great.

Two books that aren't living but nonetheless I know Marianne will LOVE, the latter especially, are The Photo Album of St. Therese of Lisieux. This has all the photos known of Therese and does close up and analysis. Surely some library has it. I was lucky to find it in a book sale.

Therese and Lisieux by Pierre Descouvemont will really capture your imagination...both of you. It's a BIG book -- 9x12 with over 300 glossy, color pages. I can't rave enough about this book. Here you will find pictures of all sorts of things involving Therese's life, so you can understand the culture, the family, the times, the art. It has a picture of her hair (in color), holycards she painted, holycards she owned,...all with explanations.

In fact, this reminds me, I was going to do a blog post about something that really inspired me in this book...

That's one thing that annoys me about some of these movies and picture books -- her hair was not dark brown! If it's on disply, why couldn't they get at least that fact right!?

Finally, ICS Publications is THE place to get the REAL St. Therese and her writings. I'd recommend John Clarke's edition of Story of a Soul. But the next step after learning about her life is learning more about her spirituality. Delving in her own writings like her poetry, letters, last conversations is great.

And I can't let a St. Therese thread go by without recommending I Believe in Love. Not for Marianna now, but she will love it later on...but I think you will love it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2006 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Jenn,

The books you recommended look fabulous! St Therese has so much written about her, I became overwhelmed with options. Therese and Lisieux's excerpt was engrossing, and I think you were very, very lucky to find The Photo Album of St. Therese of Lisieux at a book sale, $175 - wow!

Mary,

St Therese and the Roses looks very charming and familar, I think I read it as a child, the lace, the snow, the roses in the carpet were very familar. I do wonder why there are no gorgeous " children's " picture books for St Therese as for St Francis and other saints? As popular as she is, you'd think there would be a gorgeously illustrated book to use as an intro out there. Something along the lines of her poems a la Tasha Tudor/Emily Dickinson or St Francis by Kennedy. Just that common recurring reverie...

We've been out on the water delivering a Trawler and coming home to your posts was a wonderful treat. Thank you for the suggestions!

Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 08 2006 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

marihalojen wrote:
Jenn,

The books you recommended look fabulous! St Therese has so much written about her, I became overwhelmed with options. Therese and Lisieux's excerpt was engrossing, and I think you were very, very lucky to find The Photo Album of St. Therese of Lisieux at a book sale, $175 - wow!

Yes, I was quite lucky. Had to really make a dive for it!

Quote:
I do wonder why there are no gorgeous " children's " picture books for St Therese as for St Francis and other saints? As popular as she is, you'd think there would be a gorgeously illustrated book to use as an intro out there. Something along the lines of her poems a la Tasha Tudor/Emily Dickinson or St Francis by Kennedy. Just that common recurring reverie...

I'm wondering that, also. It's upsetting, actually!

Saint Therese of Lisieux: The Way of Love is another book that would be a bit below Marianna's level. It's part of the Daughters of St. Paul Encounter the Saints series, which growing up was just the plain Encounter but I completely loved. They have unfortunately changed the illustrations, but have added to their titles. Haven't personally seen this one, but about to add it to my shopping cart. ;-)

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2006 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I think Story of a Soul is about right for Marianna. I just finished it myself and it was quite readable and lovely.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I found Story of a Soul! I didn't think I had though, because the cover actually says Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux, first translation to English by Ronald Knox. It is a copy from 1958 but is still in great shape. I'm very pleased We are reading aloud, Marianna keeps restringing her Sacrifice Beads (bad hemp string) and we are just thoroughly enjoying ourselves!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version