Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Saint Francis Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kristi
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 29 2006 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote Kristi

I was just picking up a couple books from the library for the Saint Francis feast day and along with Francis, the Poor Man of Assisi and Saint Francis I picked up The Day the Animals Came: A Story of St. Francis Day. The last one has lovely artwork depicting a blessing of the animals at a Cathedral in New York. I thought it was a nice addition to reading about his life.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2006 at 5:25am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Thanks for the recommendation, Kristi. I had never heard of that book before - it sounds wonderful!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2006 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Yes, Kristi -- thanks so much; I'd forgotten his day was coming up. I love Wildsmith's book about Francis and your mention of this other book (which I too hadn't heard of) got me on a search through the library and I found some great books.

The nice thing about moving is moving into a new library system -- you never know what you'll find!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2006 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I really liked The Day the Animals Came: A Story of Saint Francis Day set in NYC at The Cathedral of St. John the Divine but I found it interesting that after the great 'Catholic Look' of the book (little Hispanic girl from the Caribbean, gorgeous cathedral, Franciscan monks) that it is all actually Episcopalian. Had I ever been to New York City having the story set at Saint John the Divine probably would have been a tip-off, but the book still reads great.

If you are in NYC on the 1st of October this year you can attend and The Very Rev. James Kowalski and his wife, The Rev. Dr. Anne Brewer, might be among those blessing the pets at the Cathedral.   St Anthony Messenger at AmericanCatholic.org has a nice write up.

A few other St. Francis books:
Saint Francis and the Christmas Donkey (you can read a portion of the author's intro about St. Francis in the excerpt)
Saint Francis of Assisi: A Life of Joy

Oh, I nearly forgot! You can search for Pet Blessings, 2006 near you!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 30 2006 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oooh, yes, that Day the Animals Came looks great. Thanks for the positive recommendation. It looks like in addition to being a good St. Francis book it would be one to add to my growing list of immigrant books.

This archived St. Francis thread has many, many titles mentioned. He's a popular subject of children's books it would appear.

Just a few days ago we found these new additions (both just published in the last year) which I wanted to mention.

Saint Francis and the Wolf - the kids enjoyed it, definitely very "big, bad wolfish"

The other book - Brother Juniper is not really about St. Francis (though he is in the book), but rather one his Franciscan companions. The author wrote it using the The Little Flowers of St. Francis of Assisi as a foundation (though she fictionalizes beyond these stories). I was just going to mention this book in the Catholic Mosaic thread as well. A cute book, though in his generority he gives away a lot of sacred objects, and just a heads up there are two drawing of Brother Juniper in his birthday suit (back views) since he has a tendency to give away his robes to poor beggars.

In last years post I mentioned reserving the Paul Gallico's The Small Miracle books but hadn't read them yet. It's a very, very touching story. The   reissued version has fun "de Paola-like" illustrations. It's launguage is less descriptive and it's shorter than the original. There is also a film version which I just got from a library request. Want to watch it with us, Mary G?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2006 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MaryM wrote:
There is also a film version which I just got from a library request. Want to watch it with us, Mary G?

I'll bring the popcorn -- what day is less crazy for you?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2006 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

My children like The Song of St. Francis by Clyde Robert Bulla. Unfortunately, this title is out-of-print.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2006 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I am so glad you linked to last year's thread. I found the book I spent way too much time thinking about this afternoon - what was the title??? When will I learn to search here first?
Brother Wolf of Gubbio has terrific illustrations that I just really liked. They almost remind me of what one would get if woodcuts and stained glass could combine. Very earthy, yet vibrant...

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Patty LeVasseur
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 30 2006 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote Patty LeVasseur

In my search to find the book "Saint Ciaran The Tale of the Saint of Ireland" (Catholic mosaic book) I ended up looking at Daedalus Books. I not only found this book for $3.98, but I also found "The Day the Animals Came" for $4.98. Thought I would pass this along.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I'm being lazy -- anyone know of an online coloring picture of St. Francis for my littles?

THANKS!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

OK, I was embarrassed about being so lazy , so I did find a coloring picture of Francis -- not the best, but it will do.

Now, does anyone have one of Our Lady of the Rosary?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G wrote:
I'm being lazy -- anyone know of an online coloring picture of St. Francis for my littles?

THANKS!

It's not a great one, but here's one

Coloring Saints -- St. Francis

St. Francis Words and picture

Don't be embarrassed, Mary G! I always like having coloring pages as my back-up.

I just picked up this book this weekend and am thrilled with it (Cay recommended last year). The best part, it has a coloring page of the San Damiano Cross...worth the whole cost of the book.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

JennGM wrote:
I just picked up this book this weekend and am thrilled with it (Cay recommended last year). The best part, it has a coloring page of the San Damiano Cross...worth the whole cost of the book.

Jenn -- Did you link to the wrong thing? I didn't see the San Damiano Cross? THANKS for the St. Francis pic -- it's better than the one I had for the kids to color!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

CHc has a really nice coloring page.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G wrote:
Now, does anyone have one of Our Lady of the Rosary?

Now, this is one of my favorites from the Daughters of St. Paul. Originally in their rosary coloring books.

Rosary

Rosary

Domestic Church

Marian pages

rosary activities

Mary image

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

CHC had some nice coloring pages of St. Francis here and here.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Jenn -- Did you link to the wrong thing? I didn't see the San Damiano Cross? THANKS for the St. Francis pic -- it's better than the one I had for the kids to color!

No, I didn't give the San DAmiano Cross, as it's a page in the book I linked.

I was just going to put the CHC coloring page, for St. Francis, also. There are two pages, and they are best by far! page 1 and page 2

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

I think Mary G. meant that the link didn't seem to even go to a book. It's the same link as one of the coloring pages linked above.

BTW, the CHC pages you and Rebecca linked are great.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
JennGM wrote:

I think Mary G. meant that the link didn't seem to even go to a book. It's the same link as one of the coloring pages linked above.

BTW, the CHC pages you and Rebecca linked are great.

Try This link

silly me, Elizabeth, Rebecca and I all linked to CHC. They are good, aren't they!?

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote margot helene

I saw another really beautiful book at our local Catholic shop yesterday. It is not about St. Francis, but is based on his teaching and prayers. I thought it was lovely!! and worth reading on his feast day to show how his life and works still influence literature and spirituality today. Beautiful text and pictures. It is not in print, though:
The Circle of Days by Reeve Lindbergh.
Margot
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version