Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: metal inset and frames Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 24 2006 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Has any of you found an easy way of doing these? I tried to make by cutting the shapes from a template at montessori materials onto a foam board but it was too hard. The book I can do it! I can do it! have a version done by cutting shapes from plastic lids and then using the cut outs as insets and the lids as frames. I don't have any lids on hand so I tried cutting the shapes from a sturdy paper plate. It has potential but my hand is not steady enough to make the lines straight. Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2006 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

I have made my own geometric cabinet with cardboard. instead of trying to draw a straight line with exacto knife, i would make dots (poke all the way through) close together. then when i make one continuous line, the dots would guide the knife for a smoother line. If you have attribute blocks, they might be able to serve the purpose of metal inserts.

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2006 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Intitially, I made these from cardboard and they worked until they were bent up by a younger sibling. Now, for the insets I use wooden shapes (circle, square, triangle) from Michaels. I also use the Learning Resources' attribute blocks. They come with a plastic frame or template with each of the shapes. It is not ideal, as the shapes are all in one frame rather than individual frames, but it works for me. The Learning Resources' template could be used to make individual frames.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2006 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Thank you Genevieve and Christine. I grew up with the metal insets and I have fond memories of using them. When I saw them I got nostalgic. But they are so expensive. The cheapest I've found is over at montessoriconcepts (40.00). If I had more children coming up behind my 4yo I probably would buy them but it seems too much money for the use we are going to give them.
I found this lauri big shape puzzle . It might do the trick.

Natalia

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 6:11am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I was determined to buy the metal insets this year, but when I got all my other homeschool ordering done I just didn't have enough in the budget. So, I used something I had on hand, which was templates for scrapbooking. They are orange plastic. I have one with different sized ovals, one with squares and rectangles, and one with a mixed bag - hearts, stars etc. I am surprised at how well they actually work for this exercise. I just showed my kids how to line up a piece of paper under them and put them into a clipboard to keep it all relatively steady. My ds really enjoys using them.
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Becky,
On another thread I found this link

homeschoolingsupplies to some plastic Montessori Shapes. They are quite affordable. I just got mine today and they look great. They are not like the metal ones I remember from my Montessori childhood but they will work fine.

Natalia

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Natalia wrote:
homeschoolingsupplies to some plastic Montessori Shapes.

We have some of this set left and my little guys really enjoy working with them when I remember to draw attention to them.

I got creative in the spring and crafted my own frame in which to place the insets and paper so they both wouldn't slip around when they boys wanted to "do tracing." I found a picture frame with the appropriate size opening to plop the inset frame into, et voila...no more slipping around and bouts of frustration from the 3yo!

Hmmm...it's probably time to present them again to refresh their memories.
Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 08 2006 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Natalia wrote:

homeschoolingsupplies to some plastic Montessori Shapes. They are quite affordable. I just got mine today and they look great. They are not like the metal ones I remember from my Montessori childhood but they will work fine.

What about frames? Are these the standard size of the metal ones?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2006 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Jenn,
the frames I got are 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 . I think this is the same size as the standard Montessori metal frames but i am not sure.

Natalia

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version