Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Montessori Reading List Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm just so slowly getting through and digesting works by and about Maria Montessori. Frankly, I'm a bit overwhelmed. There is so much out there. Can I say that ever since I had a child I feel like I have ADHD? I only get little snatches of time here and there. It's hard to concentrate and read, and picking up a book for 5 minutes here and there is hard to keep the focus.

But I'm also trying to implement things slowly in my house. It might not be pure MM, but I can see some truths in her theories. The reactions from my son are the proof positive, really.

I came across this Amazon Listmania for Maria Montessori. Feedback? Opinions? Must reads? Not recommended?

Another question. As I'm implementing practical life exercises, is there somewhere where I can read directions on how to give directions to my son? I know that sounds silly -- I know how to cut, and I can teach him my way, but I also see that there are definite steps, that it would save me some time to see detailed directions on how to pour, tie a shoelace, button a button, folding cloths, etc....KWIM?

I know I sound so clueless here. Just be nice and humor me, please...

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Kim F

I am going to go out on a limb here and say imo you don't need many of those bks. Now the Gettman bk WOULD give you scripts for all the preschool presentations just like you want. He literally says "pick up the ___ with the thumb and forefinger of the right hand and say..." It is a remarkable resource for step by step instructions on the cheap.

I liked the Dorothy Fisher bks better than most of the contemporary Montessori authors too fwiw. She gave a great picture of the method.

Kim

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kim F wrote:
I am going to go out on a limb here and say imo you don't need many of those bks. Now the Gettman bk WOULD give you scripts for all the preschool presentations just like you want. He literally says "pick up the ___ with the thumb and forefinger of the right hand and say..." It is a remarkable resource for step by step instructions on the cheap.

I liked the Dorothy Fisher bks better than most of the contemporary Montessori authors too fwiw. She gave a great picture of the method.

I don't think you're going out on a limb. I love your voice of practicality and frugality. Thanks so much!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

I'm with Kim. That's way too much to read right now. I also like the "Play and Learn" and "Read and Write" books if you have a preschooler. They were among the first Montessori books I read.   
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kim, thanks for giving me the correct phrase -- scripts, that's what I need!

Rebecca wrote:
I'm with Kim. That's way too much to read right now. I also like the "Play and Learn" and "Read and Write" books if you have a preschooler. They were among the first Montessori books I read.   

Yep, working through those. Thanks for the encouragement.

But reading those makes me want to delve deeper. So many references to MM but not always explaining. I guess I'm the kind of gal that likes to understand the concept behind the actions.

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Jenn,

I also like the Gettman book...very, very detailed. I pick it up when I am extra-insecure about certain presentations !

I really like the ones written by Hainstock. She also gives step by step instructions on what to say/do with the materials. I especially appreciate that it is written for mothers who want to bring the benefit of Montessori instruction into their homes.

Kim, which are the books written by Dorothy Fisher? I didn't see them on the list, and I'm not sure that I am familiar with them. Your recommendation alone is enough to make me want to add to my collection of Montessori resources!!!

Mary

Mom 2 3       
Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2006 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Jenn,

Just a side note, the Gettman, though detailed, doesn't give much in practical life presentations. It just covers

Pouring beans btw two jugs
Buttoning
Sweeping
Handling book
Saying "Thank You"
Walking the Line
Being Silent

A free source for more detailed lessons plans are
MWEI
[/URL]Shu-Chen's Albums

Although I haven't seen these, they might come in useful to you

NAMC Practical life albums - Click on table of contents and samples
tp://www.montessorird.com./interest.htm]Montessori Research & Development - much cheaper than NAMC's

deleted user
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 11 2006 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote deleted user

the title I have is Montessori for Parents by Dorothy Canfield Fisher. LOVE it! It is oop but our library carries it.

And yes Hainstock is a standby. I had those books first when my 20yo was a toddler. They were really sufficient then and still are!

Kim
Back to Top View deleted user's Profile Search for other posts by deleted user

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 11 2006 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Genevieve wrote:
A free source for more detailed lessons plans are
MWEI
Shu-Chen's Albums

Although I haven't seen these, they might come in useful to you
NAMC Practical life albums - Click on table of contents and sample
Montessori Research & Development - much cheaper than NAMC's

Thanks, this is so helpful...especially since my library didn't have what I needed.

I have Hainstock and now have looked at the other albums you mention, and I'm wondering about pouring wet exercises. Are you specific on where you have your child's subdominant hand be when pouring with a pitcher? Hainstock says hold the glass, Shu-Chen has hold the pitcher, some other photos say hold the pitcher. I know this is just a little thing and there's not right or wrong way...just curious.

If you have no one-size-fits-all way, do you teach your child different approaches depending on the pouring? For example, hot tea one would not put the subdominant hand on the hot pot, but hold the lid. A larger pitcher would need more guiding underneath when pouring. But if you had a plastic cup to pour liquids, it needs to be held so it won't move when liquid goes in.

So I can see the differences. Do you let the child figure it out by trial and error?

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

it depends on your child. My son prefers pouring a pitcher with cold water with both hands on pitcher. When his arms get stronger, I imagine it would progress to one hand on pitcher and one hand on cup. The next time he has need to pour something, observe him. The control of error is spilling. See what needs to be done to avoid that. What gets in the way of his aim. Too heavy a pitcher? Too small a cup? These are all degrees of diffculty and you could also note as extension of the same activity. As for the hot pot, his hands naturally hold the lid. The pot in our household is different from our pitcher so I guess there is no confusion on this matter. How I go about these practical activities is to observe my child first, usually while we are preparing a meal. What does he want to do but isn't getting it. Like for example, does he like to stir but gets it all over the table. I note that as a possible presentation but don't correct on the spot. Trial and error is a good experience and depends on situation.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

AsherF wrote:
the title I have is Montessori for Parents by Dorothy Canfield Fisher. LOVE it! It is oop but our library carries it.
Kim

Dorothy Canfield Fisher is also the author of Understood Betsy incase you want a good living book to read and get a feel for Fisher's Montessori flavor.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote Celeste

Jenn,

Just saw your post. I second the recommendation of Gettman's book--it's a good "album" of presentations, with brief why-we-do-this explanations and sometimes more detail than Hainstock's books. Hainstock's books are great, and the Read and Write and Play and Learn are wonderful.

Of course the primary sources are important to read, but sometimes hard to get through. I have found that Lillard's books present a good, organized overview of Montessori's philosophy and method, with Montessori from the Start for 0-3 (haven't read that one, though--it's new), Montessori: A Modern Approach for 3-6, and Montessori Today for 6-12. Her Montessori in the Classroom is really a diary of her experience teaching a traditional kindergarten with the Montessori method, and I found it helpful to understand the method better from the inside, as it were. (Older editions are entitled Children Learning.)

Another great one not on the list is The Child in the Church, available here: http://catholicshoponline.com/product_info.php?products_id=1 0373

If you can, observe a Montessori classroom or atrium (the atrium should have practical life). There's nothing like watching a teacher do the presentations.

I haven't read Fisher, so I'm eager to explore that resource!

Celeste
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Genevieve wrote:
it depends on your child. My son prefers pouring a pitcher with cold water with both hands on pitcher. When his arms get stronger, I imagine it would progress to one hand on pitcher and one hand on cup. The next time he has need to pour something, observe him. The control of error is spilling. See what needs to be done to avoid that. What gets in the way of his aim. Too heavy a pitcher? Too small a cup? These are all degrees of diffculty and you could also note as extension of the same activity. As for the hot pot, his hands naturally hold the lid. The pot in our household is different from our pitcher so I guess there is no confusion on this matter. How I go about these practical activities is to observe my child first, usually while we are preparing a meal. What does he want to do but isn't getting it. Like for example, does he like to stir but gets it all over the table. I note that as a possible presentation but don't correct on the spot. Trial and error is a good experience and depends on situation.

Okay, thanks for answering such a stupid question. I am such a beginner in all this I know I come out looking so ignorant! "She just doesn't get it!"

I thought the process and procedure matters in some exercises, but if I read the control is just avoiding spillage or something they can figure it out whatever way?

I also thought you always do a presentation to introduce it to the child first, before he tries. Am I wrong there, too? But if it's real life, I observe, then implement exercises so he can work out where he struggles?

I think I'm applying some etiquette rules to teaching my son the pouring... Remember in the movie "Gigi" when she is told the proper way to hold the teapot to serve, holding the saucer, etc.? I also remember my sister learning some directions in Food Service which had precise directions on how to hold a pitcher. But that is way too advanced, right? I'm just a goof!

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 13 2006 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

JennGM wrote:
I thought the process and procedure matters in some exercises, but if I read the control is just avoiding spillage or something they can figure it out whatever way?

I also thought you always do a presentation to introduce it to the child first, before he tries. Am I wrong there, too? But if it's real life, I observe, then implement exercises so he can work out where he struggles?

This is my disclaimer.... I am not Montessori trained. I am Montessori-inspired. In my household, I can forsee some things and therefore present some things before my child tries it out. But more often than not, the presentation is AFTER I see the need. Perhaps someone who has studied Montessori more can step in?

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 13 2006 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I think what you are saying makes alot of sense, Genevieve, whether it is the "true" Montessori way or not.
For instance, if you see your child really wanting to dress him/herself but struggling with the mechanics of buttoning or zipping, you might present the dressing frames so he can work on those skills isolated from the actual getting dressed.
If dc expresses an interest in pouring his own cereal, but spills it alot, you may introduce more dry pouring work.
From my limited understanding there is a real focus in Montessori training on observing the child to spot their needs (sensitive periods?) and giving them opportunities to work with materials that meet those needs.
Am I correct in this? Even if I am not, it still makes sense to me and is the basis for many of the materials I present to my dd.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version