Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Why can't I make this happen? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Joelle wrote:
I would add just to make sure you have your quiet time in front of the Blessed Sacrament. Nothing relaxes me like time in front of our Eucharistic Lord, begging him to guide me. And He always does! Do not forget that He gives you enough time to do exactly what he is calling you to do, and if you are tired and feeling like you are not enjoying those little blessings he has given you right now, then He is probably urging you to REST and RELAX with them. My oldest is now just 10 and in retrospect, I could have relaxed and enjoyed schooling A LOT more had I just taken the aforementioned advice! You are doing the right thing and these feelings WILL pass! God Bless, Joelle.

this is such tremendous advice.....

My husband always reminds me that when my "to-do" list is VERY LONG....that's when I'm probably doing exactly what I'm supposed to!!!.....Just tending to the needs of my small children and NOT getting anything else done! As a person with a "choleric temperament" this is very hard for me, b/c I don't see it this way! But, it's true and a great reminder to just BE with my children...whether we/I are "accomplishing" anything or not!
Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I think everyone has given great advice - but I just wanted to throw in a word - simplicity.

Maybe you are trying to do too much. You *are* expecting another blessing.

One thing that drew me to unschooly-ness was the simplicity. What Suzie Andres describes as the "Little Way" of education.

So we go outside to see the moon ( or the flowers or the rain) and we don't do our read aloud or our maths and I don't get the floor cleaned - well, maybe that was God's plan for today. Nature obserations and nature drawing and talks.

I highly recommend Suzie's book "Homeschooling With Gentleness: A Catholic Discovers Unschooling."

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Wow... I am so touched...

Three nights ago I was just a mess. I spent most of the night crying and praying and asking God for help and I just can't believe what's come from it. First, I've been given a whole weekend to myself. Well, dh took the boys to the farm all day and his grandmother kept my littles on Sat. and today my 3 little sisters came over and babysat for us all afternoon so dh and I could go out for a date and talk about all of this and have a little fun. I forgot what it was like... He even bought me our first digital camera (which I've been wanting forever and he thinks will motivate me to get outside more & take photos for our nature study)...yes, yes!! This is a huge deal for us and I can't believe he was ready to take the money plunge...He is calling it my "photo therapy!" When I came home the kids were fed, bathed and ready for prayers and bed. Ahhhh...and, Father's homily this morning was about being called to be a saint and the trials we must sometimes endure in our calling. I couldn't believe it. A few weeks ago, another local priest gave a fantastic homily about spiritual moments. He said that sometimes we think that a person is closer to God because they seem to have more "glimpses of God" or receive more direct messages from Him. Father paused long enough for me to think, "Okay, I've been getting a ton of these sort-of messages lately...how cool! That means I'm closer to God!" Just about that time he finished by explaining that God sends messages to those who need Him the most right then, which is usually common when a person is VERY WEAK, rather than very strong. Oh my...I had to try not to burst out laughing. Here I was thinking I'd gained some ground, even though this has been such a tough year for us, when actually, according to Father, I was getting a chance to practice humility again!! It's hard not to laugh at the thought that God has been stringing me along in my struggle, sustaining me the whole time, and I completely missed it. Father also mentioned that whenever we are tempted to let go of God's hand, so we can grasp something earthly with both hands, we find Him calling to us all the more. Hmmm... I've been carrying this around with me for weeks, trying to make sense of it.

And, as if all that wasn't enough to boost my spirits, I found an amazing gift waiting for me last night at this 4Real board ...Last night before bed I quickly clicked on my monitor to see if ANYONE had thrown any little bit of advice my way, and just when I saw all the responses. I am so blown away, it's taken me all day today to think of how I could possibly respond to the kindness and love and understanding here. I could take three pages to respond to everyone personally and still not get it right. And truly, I can't. I'm still speechless with gratitude. Thank you all so much.

You have no idea how comforted I am. Your spiritual, emotional and practical advice for me is just what I needed. God seems to have spent the weekend giving me renewed strength. Dh has given me TLC and permission to "check out" for a while and just learn to enjoy the little things again. You all have given me the practical advice I need for how to pull myself together, rest, heal, and try new ideas and a different kind of homeschooling (the kind that brings you back from burnout, hopefully ).

I am printing out this entire thread. I think there's so much wisdom to gain (for me) from reading over it daily, until I can get through this tough time. My heart is cheered just knowing that women like you all are out there. Thank you, God. (happy tears)

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Ohhhh, so much for "speechless" ,huh?

to you all!!!

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2006 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

No new advice to add except to say that you are just GREAT Kristine and I love your posts. Thanks for being honest. And, you and your little ones are in our prayers!   

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2006 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Kristine,

Just wanted to write and say, sending love and prayers your way today. You are amazing---having five children 6 and under. If you weren't having blue days and weak moments, and well, periodic crashes: I would wonder about you.... !   

....No cardboard saints for no one to be able to relate to.... !!!

Don't forget: You are an inspiration!   A .   

I am grateful for your humility.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 11 2006 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

You are an inspiration Kristine. Thank you for sharing with us all how you have seen God's faithfulness so clearly these past few days. Its an encouragement to me to never stop trusting in God's faithfulness to bring us through what He has called us to do. And I too love your posts....thanks for what you bring to this community!

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 13 2006 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

Kristine, I just saw this thread and read it all through at once. I am new around here, but I learned so much from this thread too! Last week really was great for us, but I took it very easy AND I am not pg! Also I have a bit of HS honeymoon syndrome probably.

Have fun with your new camera and the photo therapy. How is your DH?!

God bless you for your love, honesty and generosity.

I love what Elizabeth said "Don't miss the moon!" I am going to take that to heart this year and it will become one of my mottos I am sure.

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 13 2006 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

that is suppossed to say "How sweet is you DH?!"

I just think that was so nice and thoughtful of him.

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2006 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

I needed this thread, too!

Thank you, Kristine!

Prayers coming for you!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version