Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St Laurence’s Feast is coming! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 06 2006 at 2:49am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

St Laurence's feast this week, 10th August and I have such a renewed interest and love for this saint after reading St Laurence & the Holy Grail: The Story of the Holy Chalice of Valencia.

What will anyone be doing for this wonderful saint?

What would be your suggestions in incorporating the idea of the Holy Grail while celebrating his feast?

Here is an image of him holding the Holy Grail.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 06 2006 at 3:52am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

What a beautiful and powerful image. Thanks for the recommendation for the book - just requested it.

Here is a link to a press release on Pope Benedict's recent trip to Spain where he used the chalice for consecration during a Mass there.

This thread from last year discusses the Perseid meteor shower which is often called the "Tears of Saint Laurence" because it occurs during his August 10 feast day. So viewing the meteor shower is a great way to celebrate his feast day. Just an afterthought - is the Perseid shower visible down under or just in the northern hemisphere? Hmmmm......

And Jenn, started a St. Lawrence thread last year that has great ideas.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2006 at 5:59am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Thank you Mary - All great reading!

Checked out the news report and I am glad that the Holy Father's (Pope John Paul II & Pope Benedict XVI) have given more credence to the true cup of Christ than one of those spokepersons from the Vatican.

I asked dh about the Perseid shower (he likes star watching) and he knew of them and we should be able to see them down here too - so we are going to check them out.

I was looking at the joke, for last year's thread, where Our Lord said to St Laurence, as he entered heaven, "Well done, good and faithful servant!" and I'm looking and looking.....and finally the penny dropped! I am SO slow on things! My children loved it! (and got it quicker than me )

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 06 2006 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote margot helene

Oh - I do so wish there was a picture book about St. Laurence!!!
Does anyone know of any middle grade books?
Margot
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2006 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Here is a website that when you scroll down, you can see an artists impression of St Laurence's Perseid Shower. (the second picture not first one)

Right down the very bottom, you can click on a link for more information about St Laurence (there is piece from the Mass for the Octave (Apodosis) of Saint Laurence that would make good copywork) and also there is a link for more information about the Perseid meteor showers.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version