Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: "Sweet" books: flowers, fruits? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 02 2006 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Dear Moms,

Would you please take a moment and share your favorite books on flowers and fruits? I want to do a unit on the fruits of the earth that have Catholic significance (roses, lilies, apples, grapes are coming to mind quickly!) but any and all suggestions would be appreciated so I can have a vast list to choose from! There are so many bountiful gifts of nature to fill a year's worth of reflection and study.

Thank you ahead of time, all!   

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2006 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

I'd be interested in anything you find out, especially with fruit having a traditional significance for the Feast of the Assumption on the 15th. Nina...can you post what you already know about apples and grapes? Thanks!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 02 2006 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Nina, I took this to mean that any fruit or flower book would be okay to suggest - not just ones that talked about it from a biblical of faith perspective. Is that correct? So...we did an apple study last fall when I wrote a Homeschool Share unit for the book, Apples to Oregon. There are lots of fun apple picture books and non-fiction.   

The Season's of Arnold's Apple Tree – Gail Gibbons
Apples – Gail Gibbons
Starting Life: Tree – Claire Llewellyn, Simon Mendez
Life and Times of the Apple – Charles Micucci
Apple Picking Time- Michelle Slawson
Bite into an Apple – Lynn Brunelle

A general one on fruit which is fun because it has see through pages - Fruit.

The Lois Ehlert books are lovely-
Planting a Rainbow
Eating the Alphabet

Flower picture books-
Flower Garden
Alison's Zinnia
The Flower Alphabet

Seed, Leaf, Flower, Fruit _ haven't actually seen this one (only because our library donesn't have it), but we have used her insect one, bird one, and water one. They are great living books with the absolute most incredible illustrations. I could look at these for hours. I'm sure this one is no exception.

In finding the links for the above books I ran across this book on grape growing - Grapes Grow Sweet. It looks good. I've just requested it.

You could also look at books that study:
Tall tales like those about Johnny Appleseed.
Aesop's Fables - "The Fox and the Grapes"

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2006 at 12:15am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I don't know if this book is the kind of thing you are looking for, but I just discovered this book at a used book sale. It is a picture book (and a Caldecott Honor book): "The Gardener"

You could also rabbit trail the Great Depression.

We really like it.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2006 at 12:23am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Perfect, Mary....yes! Thank you. LOVE these suggestions.

Gwen, I don't have much formulated---kind of in the IDEA stage, brainstorming about what I could do. I just love how symbolic fruit is in the Bible and our Prayer Tradition: of course, praying "Blessed is the fruit of thy womb" every day! Apples are mentioned heavily in the Song of Songs as are grapes and the vineyard.    God calls us the apple of His eye. There is of course the eating of the forbidden fruit connection with Original sin, but the New Eve---what is her mission?: to be the bearer and tend-er of the ultimate Fruit. Another: The wife will be a "fruitful vine along the sides of your house" from Psalm 128, if I am remembering correctly..... ???

Then there are the 9 fruits of the Holy Spirit...(In fact what got me thinking of doing this was an adorable book for toddlers, 9 Fruits Alive, that chooses a different raised fruit to go with each little virtue.)   The significance of (grape) wine in the Sacrifice of Jesus, He was pressed (like a grape) and poured out every drop like as in a wine-press....   Oh there is so much more. I should do a more exhaustive concordance search.   And I've just touched the surface with these associations. Haven't even gone into the depth and enormity of roses and lilies in the Bible or in the Miracles of the Saints .

I also have had ideas of tying books into different titles of Our Lady: Mystical rose, Morning star, Star of the Sea, House of gold, Tower of Ivory, etc.

I guess I should stop now!   

and 2 yet-to-be-met

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2006 at 12:33am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Jen, I just saw your post.

You're right---The Gardner beautifully illustrates the power of flowers---and their spiritual significance in the process of growth, and giving beauty and hope to the world.   

Thank you for reminding me of this gem!   

and 2 yet-to-be-met

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 03 2006 at 1:29am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Nina Murphy wrote:
I also have had ideas of tying books into different titles of Our Lady: Mystical rose, Morning star, Star of the Sea, House of gold, Tower of Ivory, etc.

That would be cool. I had a similar idea for the May thread, except tying the titles to art/craft projects instead of books. Examples of craft activities:
Tower of Ivory - carve a tower from a bar of Ivory soap.
Mystical Rose - make paper roses and dip tips in glitter OR plant or pick roses
Morning Star- make a decorative paper star OR star 2 OR star 3
MIrror of Justice - get a mirror, put a sign on it that says "Justice" and decorate the border with paper flowers.

Have you thought of any books that you could tie in? I'll try to brainstorm, too. The one picture book I do love that utilizes some of the titles of Mary is The Donkey's Dream.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2006 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote momwise

MaryM wrote:
   The one picture book I do love that utilizes some of the titles of Mary is The Donkey's Dream.

OOOhhh! That looks beautiful. Also on the list of what others bought: Brother Bartholomew and the Apple Grove (for the fruit idea).

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 03 2006 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

A Gift of Gracias: The Legend of Altagracia is an absolutely lovely book that was mentioned on a thread of books to add to Catholic Mosaic. The fruit that is featured is oranges.

Our Domestic Church

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2006 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

MaryM wrote:
A Gift of Gracias: The Legend of Altagracia is an absolutely lovely book that was mentioned on a thread of books to add to Catholic Mosaic. The fruit that is featured is oranges.

I second that. Lovely, lovely book.

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2006 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Yes, thank you!

Today I am so sleepy (!) so I haven't been up for any more research...but thanks to all who are helping me get motivated about the new schoolyear!

and 2 yet-to-be-met

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 04 2006 at 1:35am | IP Logged Quote Katie

I have to stop reading these threads! I have next year al planned out but then I read these great ideas and...and...

Anyway, a cute, sweet book which gently introduces the idea of a flower becoming the fruit (i.e. science for the littles!) is called Pick Pull Snap - Where Once a Flower Bloomed. I think I may have got mine at bookcloseouts for lots cheaper.

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2006 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

This looks absolutely wonderful, Katie!

Thank you for responding!

I'm excited....

(I know.....we think we have it all set...but with me: I just have to be really personally excited these days! I hope my enthusiasm bubbles over to make the children as interested!    )

N.

and 2 yet-to-be-met

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version