Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Elegant Simplicity in the Kitchen Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 15 2006 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

As inspired by Donna Marie's Elegant Simplicity post let's discuss what "simple" things we can do in our kitchens to make them "elegant".

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2006 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

My kitchen is very, very small (approx 9x9 feet) It is very well laid out but there is no room for "hotspots" at all. I try to keep my counters clear of everything. I do not have the crock of cooking utensils because they look messy in my little kitchen and collect a lot of dust. I store all small appliances (toaster, blender, etc.) in the cupboards to keep my countertops clean.

Keeping a sink full of warm, soapy water going during mealtime helps me to clean as I go.

I also like to keep a candle burning on the sink or stove. My favorite scent is "Creamy Nutmeg" by The White Barn Candle Co. (Bath and Body Works).

Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2006 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Rebecca wrote:
I do not have the crock of cooking utensils because they look messy in my little kitchen and collect a lot of dust.

What a revolutionary idea! Well, at least to me. I have only a tiny counter space too. I thought I was doing good with my plan to get rid of my Pampered Chef Tool-Turnaround (or whatever it's called) for *just* a crock. Now I see that I can do without THAT too!    I only have a little cupboard space though - I need to see how I can better utilize that.

I wish I could peak into your kitchen Rebecca, to see what you own/keep/store and how.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2006 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Ditto on the small space, and I'm in constant de-clutter and clean motion during meal prep times!! Im going to resurrect the candle in the kitchen, I love that!!I also keep my garbage can inside the pantry to keep it sight unseen That way all my cleaners can be locked under the sink w/o constant access.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2006 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

LOL, I think I need to stop reading these threads. I'm now green with pantry envy.    Isn't that sad that I'm hardly kidding?

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2006 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I just got home from the store where there was a whole display of sun-golden clementines just waiting for my family. Yum! I bought a whole 5 lbs worth.

Upon arriving home, the box of clementines was unceremoniously pushed off on the wooden bench that is situated against my kitchen wall.

(This bench is a thorn in my side as well. It is constantly "cluttered" with papers and books and toys. If I know company is coming, it's the first thing cleared off. It makes a convenient place for ladies to place their purses while they're visiting. Within a week, it's cluttered up again.)

I had one of those rare "elegant simplicity" moments. Rather than leave those delicious clementines in their box on the wooden bench for the children to walk off with, I should put them in a lovely clear glass bowl and place in the center of my "clear off" table...or in a nice wooden bowl or smokey blue glass bowl left on the counter.

Something more attractive. Something more inviting.

Another "cluttered" place in my kitchen is next to my microwave and on top of it.

I do admit to having the dreaded "crock of cooking utensils" on my countertop. Why? Because I thought everyone had that!!!    Mine has found it's way into the farthest dark corner of the kitchen under the cabinets.    I can't put them away in a drawer because I already have a drawer choked full of cooking utensils.

Perhaps that's one "small" area I could focus on.   

Ah, and the candle on the stovetop or sink is always so lovely and welcoming. I usually keep a candle burning as well. It has to be apple cinnamon, sugar cookie, vanilla, or pumpkin...something edible.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2006 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

amyable wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
I do not have the crock of cooking utensils because they look messy in my little kitchen and collect a lot of dust.

What a revolutionary idea! Well, at least to me. I have only a tiny counter space too....I only have a little cupboard space though - I need to see how I can better utilize that.

How are you on drawers? I have a fair number of drawers so I lay all those cooking utensils (wooden spoons, potato masher, cherry pitter, turkey baster, etc.) flat in a drawer. For the most part, they all fit. When they no longer fit, I know it is time to declutter the drawer.     

amyable wrote:
I wish I could peak into your kitchen Rebecca, to see what you own/keep/store and how.

Hmmm. Let me see what I can do about that. I think I could take some photos and put them on the blog. AAAAHHH...now everyone will know that "Heart of the Kitchen" is a 9x9 foot microorganized postage stamp from which I work ! Actually, this could be fun. I'll get back to you.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2006 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Rebecca wrote:
amyable wrote:

Hmmm. Let me see what I can do about that. I think I could take some photos and put them on the blog. AAAAHHH...now everyone will know that "Heart of the Kitchen" is a 9x9 foot microorganized postage stamp from which I work ! Actually, this could be fun. I'll get back to you.

You know, the other day I came across this blog BooMama. She is hosting a "Bloggy Tour of Homes" ... kind of a carnival of bloggers' homes. She's assigned a certain number of photos like one of your front door, one of where you blog, one of your family's living space, one of your kitchen and one of another place in your home of your choosing. I thought it sounded like fun, but I don't know anyone in that blogging circle! Maybe we could do something like that within our own community? Either here or through our blogs?

I love candles too, and when my countertops (and sink) are clear and there's a candle burning on my stove top my spirit is soothed.

I have a couple of "hotspots" one being the small counter to the right of my stove (it's supposed to be for cookbooks and such) and the other is our center island. Our kitchen was fairly small until we opened up and had the island installed. I finally had baking space! But as dh refers to it, it's also another "horizontal space" that attracts my "stuff!"

Thanks for starting these threads, Cay!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2006 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Dawn wrote:
You know, the other day I came across this blog BooMama. She is hosting a "Bloggy Tour of Homes" ... kind of a carnival of bloggers' homes. She's assigned a certain number of photos like one of your front door, one of where you blog, one of your family's living space, one of your kitchen and one of another place in your home of your choosing. I thought it sounded like fun, but I don't know anyone in that blogging circle! Maybe we could do something like that within our own community? Either here or through our blogs?

Oh I like this idea! I think it could really be helpful to get a glimpse of what each others homes look like. Giving each other examples of "elegant simplicity" and how that meshes with making our homes domestic churches. I'm trying to get things done here (while I have the 2nd trimester energy and sciatica is feeling OK). I'm working on the upstairs bathroom next - it's been half finished for almost a year.

Oh I also wanted to mention another blog that some may find helpful. It's called Making it Home and there's some good stuff there on decluttering and creating beauty in the home.

So, who's going to host the Simply Elegant Homes Tour??

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2006 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

amyable wrote:
What a revolutionary idea! Well, at least to me. I have only a tiny counter space too. I thought I was doing good with my plan to get rid of my Pampered Chef Tool-Turnaround (or whatever it's called) for *just* a crock. Now I see that I can do without THAT too!

Well I have pretty limited drawer space so my utensils work better in the crock on the counter by the stove. I like it that way and I use them regularly.

I did do something somewhat radical 2 months ago though. I got rid of the microwave. The darn thing took up too much space and microwave cooking really isn't that healthy anyway (well, there's debate that it could actually be harmful)so I decided to ditch it. Dh wasn't too sure at first but we are managing just fine without it and I LOVE the counter space getting rid of it gave me.

God bless,

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2006 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

MicheleQ wrote:
Dawn wrote:

Oh I like this idea! I think it could really be helpful to get a glimpse of what each others homes look like. Giving each other examples of "elegant simplicity" and how that meshes with making our homes domestic churches.

I like this idea. I'd have to wait until my house is finished, and then it would take forever to unpack, but sounds like fun to see how everyone does things. So, who's going to host?

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2006 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Alton Brown of the show Good Eats always talks about how he does not like what he calls unitaskers. He likes utensils and tools that are multitaskers. I try to follow his philosophy, but I get sucked in when I see neato gadgets. I got rid of my crock of utensils right before moving and it was great. I had so much more space next to the stove.

I used to have so much clutter on my island and on the counter where I kept my phone and planner. When I move into the new home, I'm keeping paper out of the kitchen. I think that will be the only way of keeping the kitchen clutter free. I have the biggest love/hate relationship with paper.

I had a hanging plant in the kitchen. It was wonderful to have because it was not cluttering up any space, but added a lot to the kitchen. That's about all I did for my kitchen.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

MicheleQ wrote:

Well, shouldn't the fine woman who came up with the idea be the first to host it?    That would be you, Dawn!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 16 2006 at 4:26am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

MicheleQ wrote:

Well I have pretty limited drawer space so my utensils work better in the crock on the counter by the stove. I like it that way and I use them regularly.

Me too. Nothing gathers dust because I use it all so frequently and this works much more efficiently than putting them all in the one deep drawer. My kitchen isn't small but it isn't very smart either. I don't have enough cabinet space. Pots and pans hang above a center island. And I have some serving pieces on a high counter above my sink. If I didn't do this, I would nbt have room for everything. My mixer/blender, toaster, and food processor are out all the time. They are used nearly daily, so even if I had room, I probably wouldn't put them in cupboards.

I love to have a candle burning on the center island, particularly when everything else is clean and clear. One thing I did that makes me feel more simply elegant is to move our dining table into the sunroom. The sunroom is just off the kitchen but the table is hidden from the kitchen by a wall. It used to bother me that when we were sitting and eating dinner in the kitchen eating space, I was being taunted by the mess in the kitchen I had waiting for me to clean after dinner. Now, we eat hidden from the prep mess.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 5:28am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Rebecca wrote:
MicheleQ wrote:

Well, shouldn't the fine woman who came up with the idea be the first to host it?    That would be you, Dawn!

Oh goodness, thank you Rebecca, but I was just reporting on another bloggers's good idea!

I was thinking maybe Donna Marie would like to host since she so eloquently introduced us to the elegant simplicity idea in the first place? I will certainly host if no no else wants to, but I feel like I just had my share of the spotlight with Field Day.   

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

I went through my storage containers - bagged up all the plastic lids without bowls, got rid of all the storage containers without lids (and the inevitable ice cream buckets that piled up). The extra lids are in a plastic bag hanging in my pantry because they do match bowls I have - so they will be replacements when something breaks, etc.

Whoever got rid of the microwave - do you end up eating reheats for lunch? I have been tempted to get rid of the microwave for years now but dh has always convinced me to hang onto it in order to have the easy reheat luncehs!

My biggest challenge is the long counter by the back door. My dh has a file there with important papers (insurance stuff, etc. and various eye therapy instructions). His papers are at least filed neatly - unlide mine and the dc. This counter becomes the catch all for everything. I'll have to think about the idea of setting up something beautiful here to discourage the clutter gathering.

I also have a desk in the kitchen - and it is always a disaster area!!! Paper clutter is my real challenge! I do use this area for my important paper tasks - right now mostly clipboards of curriculum orders, catalogues, etc. and all the to dos to get our dd off to college. There are notes with phone numbers for the Latin tutor and everyone who wants to be in the co-op. I also have a pile of partially finished thank - you notes under there somewhere that I have to dig back out in the next day or so and finish up. My dh helped some by getting clip boards - one for college stuff, ... Any ideas on what to do with this desk. It really is an extra - and it seems like wherever we have counter space, we have paper piles!!

I need to organize my pantry and refrigerator so we can easily find things. We have wire shelving which means a lot of stuff falls through! We did get some clear plastic for the top part that helps make it more like a real shelf!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

It's funny....I've been working on my kitchen and eating area as well.

We have a built-in china cabinet but the surface of it and the surface of my counter becomes the catch-all for whatever projects and paper stuff. But, I have a plan!

We are cleaning out the garage and making that our school room. I will have the entire back wall for storage of supplies and a desk where I intend to set up the sewing machine. We will keep a file cupboard for each child and when the weather is too cold/hot, we can bring in into the kitchen but place it back in the garage when done. That's the plan. It's exciting to have the plan...we'll be working this week to get it into place!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 16 2006 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote julia s.

I have to go soon and I'm reading all these elegent simplicity suggestions with interest, but I haven't finished this thread yet so I hope what I say doesn't sound redundant.
My pastor, who is a wonderful holy man, often talks about growing up in his large italian Catholic family and he mentions an aunt who used to keep her Bible in the kitchen and would read from it to all the kids there while she cooked. I thought this was a great idea and although I haven't yet moved my Bible to the kitchen I do have small pictures which I hope to organize more beautifully of Jesus, Mary, and Pope John Paul II (a favorite one of him kneeling in prayer... a reminder that I'm never too busy or important to slow down for prayer).

I just thought I'd toss this out to see if it works as an elegent simplicity idea.

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

ALmom wrote:
Whoever got rid of the microwave - do you end up eating reheats for lunch? I have been tempted to get rid of the microwave for years now but dh has always convinced me to hang onto it in order to have the easy reheat luncehs!

Yes we still eat reheats for lunch. In fact today's lunch was a reheat of last night's dinner. I use the oven or stove top depending on what it is. For things that need reheated in the oven I put them in stoneware or pyrex and on top of the stove I use a pan. Washing a pan is just as easy as washing the plastic container that I would have microwaved it in. It DID take a little getting use to because rehaeting time can be longer but I really can't say it's an issue now. I missed having microwave popcorn at first but I just make it one top of the stove now and we all like it. Of course I could get an air popper but that would just take up more room on the counter!

God bless!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Elizabeth wrote:
   My mixer/blender, toaster, and food processor are out all the time. They are used nearly daily, so even if I had room, I probably wouldn't put them in cupboards.

I think this makes a good point in that simplicity is also about what makes sense. Putting everything in the cupboards everytime would make it harder for you so keeping it out makes sense. It can still look lovely (and does - I've seen your kitchen) but it really should be about what suits us individually.

God bless,

Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version