Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Urban wildlife Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 08 2006 at 5:54am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

A few things recently have inspired a little nature rabbit trail about the concept of urban wildlife:

*Middle son is fascinated with raptors and was incredulous to learn that hawks roost in the city.

*Dh mentioned that a co-worker maintains a birdfeeder at their office in downtown Boston. And they get songbirds!

* My cousin just signed on with The Charles River Conservancy to help with the design and creation of a skateboard park in Boston. The boys are hoping to follow the progress and "interview" my cousin now and then.

*We read a letter in The Globe from a young man who, in the crowds after a Red Sox game, marveled at a butterfly but despaired that no one else seemed to notice or care.

All this inspired speculation about whether or not there could be much "nature" in the city. So we started an investigation and yesterday we took pictures all around a busy parking lot and next week dh will take the camera into Boston for the day to find nature in the city. Naturally, I wrote a post about this at my blog.

I thought I would mention it here and see if anyone else had ideas or experiences to share for learning about what lives and grows in the city. I listed some resources at my blog in case you are interested in following a similar trail.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: July 10 2006 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

One of my favorite books, The Urban Naturalist, is a good solid resource for city dwellers.

I grew up in downtown Boston, and if there were any wildlife to be found, we found it--birds, bats, grasshoppers, ducks, salamanders... I'm heading to Boston with the kids in a few weeks, and we will inspect some of my old haunts. Fun trail!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2006 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

When we lived in Adelaide ( just over a year ago) there was an article about the population of owls in the csity. Apparently there were a large number of owls who nested in the trees in the city parks.

And also rats..

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: July 10 2006 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Leonie wrote:

And also rats..

Marsupial rats? Or are you lucky enough to have lovely European Rats over there?

When we met Luke at the airport, I was parked briefly near the big airport directory sign, far from the terminals...baby rats came swarming out of the shrubs and climbed into the rubbish bin next to my car. It was almost cute.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2006 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I did a post the other day on both of my blogs about urban nature study :)
All we did was take a walk around the town

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2006 at 1:44am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

MacBeth wrote:
Marsupial rats? Or are you lucky enough to have lovely European Rats over there?

Sadly - European Rats - brought over with the convict ships.

I would have died seeing those mice at the airport - I don't like rodents!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version