Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Home Catechesis Manuals or CGS? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 06 2006 at 12:49am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Hi,

My children have been in Atrium/CGS through the parish school they had attended, and they both learned quite a lot. I was trying to find things similar now that they will be homeschooling. I found the Home Catechesis Manuals at Our Fathers Houseand wasn't sure how they compared to the CGS books "Living Liturgy: Elementary Reflections". Does anyone know how they compare? Does any have recommendations? For someone totally new to trying to do this at home, what would you recommend? What about the Miniature Mass Kit for Children? Is it worth the money?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 06 2006 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Laura,

Does the Living Liturgy book have lessons? My understanding is that Moira's are lesson plans with scripted lessons.
I am planning on doing CGS at home this year. I went through level 1 training last year, but will be teaching levels 2 and 3 at home. I do not own Moira's albums yet, hopefully in the next few weeks. I think she provides directions on how to make the materials in her albums.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 06 2006 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Living Liturgy does not have lesson plans. It's a collection of essays/reflections of the presentations.

I think the other thing to consider is that CGS is no different than other Montessori classroom education or really other classsroom education in general in the sense that it is not wholly adaptable to home education.

In Moira's case, that's a good thing. She's taken a great concept and the underpinnings of a great philosophy and made it richer by bringing it home.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 10 2006 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote Kristin

Feeling totally lost here! Wish I had training in CGS --- I missed this year's training. Hopefully sometime in the future!   

Where can I get Moira's albums? Thanks!!!
Back to Top View Kristin's Profile Search for other posts by Kristin

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 10 2006 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I got the albums at Our Father's House.   

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 10 2006 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

Thank you for the information. I just ordered the albums. Can't wait to get started!!!   
Back to Top View Kristin's Profile Search for other posts by Kristin

Wendi DeGrandpr
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 10 2006 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote Wendi DeGrandpr

For those of you who are familiar with these programs - would you recommend Moira's lesson plans over Image of God? I am honestly not familiar with either (except what I have gleaned here) and looking for something for our new little ones. I have only used the Baltimore Catechism and Faith and Life. I know I need something more visual and hands on this time around.

"We can do no great things - only small things with great love." Blessed Mother Teresa
Back to Top View Wendi DeGrandpr's Profile Search for other posts by Wendi DeGrandpr

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2007 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

(I'm reading old posts on the Baltimore Catechism before I post a potential question and I came across this post)

Just my two cents:
My son has been attending the parish CGS atrium (I run it) until this past week, with some presentations/work at home - and supplementing with the preschool/K Image of God set. It really seems to work out nicely for him - the best of both worlds: child-directed work and partially adult-directed. We will now be doing the atrium entirely and only at home.

I have not entirely decided what to use for elementary level, but I do want something else in addition to CGS, as much as I do love it!
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2007 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Has anyone used Moira's albums with older children. I am just now getting interested/discovering Montessori/Moira's things and my kids are 8 and 9. Is it worth starting this type of learning with them? What does it look like at this age?

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2007 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I have Level I and am only halfway through Level II training. I have not seen Moira's albums yet, but I am definitely interested.

I have done the Level I presentations with older children in my own home and a very small group at the parish - I started the presentations the same, but then the children took the discussion much further and were more interested in adding presentations at a much quicker pace (ie one group of children learned about the articles of the Mass, the first presentation, then wanted to immediately go on to the other presentations) - they also tied in things much more quickly, and we definitely added and adjusted - but I followed their lead as to where to go. I also added in Level II work as I learned about it training or got ideas from other atriums.

Even adults learn so much, so it's definitely worth doing with any age of child!
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 24 2007 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have just started using Moira's Level I album (the one for 3-6 year olds) with my 6 year old boy and 10 year old girl (and 2 year old boy.) I have no formal training, nor do I feel less adequate for the lack of it. I read The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd and loved it. I read through Moira's album and loved it. The ideas are timeless and ageless. I read through several other CGS books as well. These are ideas that resound in the soul.

We started with the first album based on Moira's advice. This thread has a lot of great info and some conversations with Moira. She advised that if you're just starting - start with the first album. It has worked out well for us. My 6 year old really benefited, but so did my 10 year old. And just as predicted in the book The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd each of them got something different from the parable. You can go to my blog if you're interested in more of their take on it.

I do sense that my dd would be ready to move faster than my ds, but these are ideas that need time to grow (and frankly, I don't have the budget or time to do a new presentation too close to the last one.) So we will pace ourselves.

The kids love the Mini Mass kit. We had some pieces already, so I just had to buy the pieces we were missing. If I didn't have anything, I definitely would have just bought the kit. We put our kit under our prayer table. This is our home atrium, and for us it is "the place set aside." This keeps the kids from thinking that the Mass kit is just another manipulative. It has worked out very well so far.

I find the CGS translates beautifully in the home setting. Honestly, I think some aspects would be lost in a parish setting. There is a beautiful intimacy and quiet created in these lessons within the home setting. My children are not afraid to reflect, or participate fully in a prayer of thanksgiving in front of their little altar. These are my most treasure memories!

Hope this has helped in some way. I have found so much information that was helpful and inspiring in this forum.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2007 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I can't wait for my 3-6 Album to arrive!! Thanks for all the great links and sharing your family atrium and learning spaces, they are beautiful!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version