Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Independence Day Reading Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 26 2006 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I made our Fourth of July basket of books a virtual one for y'all to peruse. It's up on my blog. Scroll ALLLLL the way down the lefthand sidebar. Please add your Colonial America and Revolutionary War favorites here.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Louise
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2006 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote Louise

Very good list! Yesterday Lydia and I were downstairs, where we store books not in use, and brought up a big pile with many of the titles listed on your blog. One I didn’t see on your list is Paul Revere's Ride illustrated by Ted Rand.

Back to Top View Louise's Profile Search for other posts by Louise Visit Louise's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 29 2006 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We are very much into the Revolutionary War study along with our Flag Unit Study. Here is a listing of picture books we have used, listed basically in chronologic order.

The Boston Tea Party – Covers the story of the Boston Tea Party from the Townsend Act (tea tax) to the Boston Massacre, meetings , and finally he tea party. There is a timeline of dates at the end. I enjoyed the textured, muted illustrations.

Sleds on Boston Common – Set in Boston during winter before the Revolutionary War. A fictional but entertaining account of young boys confronting the British soldiers about blocking their sled runs. Based on folklore of the Boston area.

1775-6
Katie's Trunk – Told from the viewpoint of a girl in a Tory sympathizer family who must flee their home when rebel soldiers search it. It’s an interesting addition because its main characters are not on the side of the revolutionaries.

Paul Revere's Midnight Ride - Engaging story of Paul Revere's ride. Gorgeous illustrations by Greg Harlin. Very vibrant with long narrow panoramas that run across both pages.

Samuel's Choice – Lots of text for a picture book. Interesting story (fictional) focusing on the type of role that slaves played in the war. It is an engaging story with a theme of liberty and freedom. The specific Revolutionary time chronicled is Washington’s retreat to Manhattan then to New Jersey, before the Christmas 1776 campaign and crossing of the Delaware.

When Washington Crossed the Delaware - Covers the Christmas 1776 crossing and the battles of Trenton and Princeton that came after. Huge illustrations that draw you into the time. There is a quote on each page before the text. Info on the quotes is included in the endnotes.

Sybil's Night Ride – Story of Sybil Luddington and her famous ride through Dutcher’s County, NY to alert the Patriots. It’s a great addition to the women as Patriots study. It’s a great horse story, too, for those young horse lovers out there.

The Scarlet Stockings Spy – A story of secret messages and spies. This is another story where the spy is a girl. It is very sad though as well as the young girl’s brother is killed.

Dangerous Crossing - Story of John Adams and John Quincy Adams’ voyage to France in 1778 to enlist France’s support against England in the war. It was very interesting – a piece of history I probably learned but never paid attention to. It is very memorable as told in this picture book account. Gorgeous illustrations (again by George Harlin) – there is just something about them at is really engaging.

Redcoats and Petticoats - story of secret codes and spies during the revolution. Set on Long Island and refers to the Setauket Spy Ring of 1778-84. Maps and author notes about spy rings add to the book.

Also:
The Signers: The 56 Stories Behind the Declaration of Independence -This is great reference book. Includes short bios on each of the 56 signers. The illustrations are intriguing also - scratch board sketches, very dramatic. We are going to try our hand at doing some of these.

Yankee Doodle America - enjoyable alphabet book on the American Revolution is newly published and what a treat. The illustrations are beautiful - each of the illustrations looks like the hand crafted and painted signs that hung from posts outside public houses of that era. There is a time-line of important dates in the back.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 03 2006 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Catholic History.net just posted it's July Spotlight on "Catholics and the American Founding." It's a concise discussion of the role of Catholics in the American Revolution and early US history. Thought it was a good addition for anyone doing this Independence Day study.

BYW - I think the Spotlight is doing a great job of highlighting Catholic history in these easy to read, but very thorough glimpes of Catholic history topics - they are always very timely to current events as well. Check out the Spotlight archives.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 04 2006 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Mare

This is wonderful! I just wanted to add The Hatmaker's Sign to your list.

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2006 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

This is what we have---these aren't all necessarily Independence Day centered but they are all definitely "Red White and Blue" themed:

Red, White and Blue--Herman
The 4th of July Story--Dalgliesh
So You Want to Be President---St. George
By the Dawn's Early Light---Kroll
Woodrow, the White House Mouse---Barnes
The Star-Spangled Banner---Spier
Purple Mountain Majesties----Younger
Red, White, Blue and Uncle Who?---Bateman
A More Perfect Union---Maestro

Colonial/Revolution:

Good Children Get Rewards (LOVE this one!)---Moore
George the Drummer Boy--Benchley
Paul Revere's Ride---Rand
Obadiah series---Turkle
N.C. Wyeth's Pilgrims---San Souci
A Lion to Guard Us--Bulla
Life in a Colonial Town---Isaacs
Sarah Morton's Day, On the Mayflower, Samuel Eaton's Day--Waters
Emma's Journal, The Story of a Colonial Girl--Moss
Visiting a Village, The Colonial Cook--Kalman
The Eve of Revolution, the Colonial Adv. of Benjamin Wilcox---Burt
Adventures in Colonial America series---Knight
My America: Elizabeth's Colony Diary series---Hermes
My America: Hope's Revolutionary Diary series--Gregory
Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth---Clapp (romance/teen)

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2014 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

A new book that looks very good to add to this list: My Country 'Tis of Thee

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version