Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Seton's English for Young Catholics 7 or Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
nightgalaxy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 11 2016 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote nightgalaxy

Has anyone used Seton's English 7 for Young Catholics, or Seton's English 8 for Young Catholics? We would be jumping into this for 8th grade without any prior Seton experience. DS has has a pretty solid grammar foundation; he just needs a nice wrap year of grammar up before high school. I like Seton's independent worktext format. It has enough color and white space to make it visually appealing. The layout is actually very nice in my opinion, versus most grammar workbooks I have seen. We are Catholic, so the theology is a plus.   I don't need the writing portion, ds will be taking writing elsewhere (so I do not think I need the lesson plans, just the grammar and punctuation that is in the worktext.

Seton users, I would love your feedback.   Thanks!

English 7 for Young Catholics:
http://www.setonbook...N07-13&Zoomin=1

English 8 for Young Catholics:
http://www.setonbook...N08-21&Zoomin=1
Back to Top View nightgalaxy's Profile Search for other posts by nightgalaxy

setonmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 12 2016 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote setonmom

I have used Seton for years, but am not using either text right now, so my memory will be a bit fuzzy. Either will give a good preparation for high school. Does your son have experience with sentence diagramming? I think of you go on the Seton bookstore website, you can click on "look inside this book" and compare the table of contents from each. The grammar books review many of the same concepts each year. The eighth grade book does get into some more difficult territory with things like adverbial objective and complex clauses.
Back to Top View setonmom's Profile Search for other posts by setonmom

nightgalaxy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 12 2016 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote nightgalaxy

Thank you kindly for this info. Glad to know either level will prepare ds for high school. He has had some diagramming, so there is some familiarity with that tool. I think Seton English looks very straightforward and incremental. I am strongly considering it. I am thinking that ao would not need the lesson plans, as I don't need the writing part of the curriculum.

setonmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 12 2016 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote setonmom

By the way, i think the 8th grade book is designed to be used in a semester ( then the composition book for the other semester) whereas the 7th grade book I believe is designed for a full year. You may want to call Seton and talk to someone there as they are constantly revising/improving their courses.
Back to Top View setonmom's Profile Search for other posts by setonmom

nightgalaxy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 12 2016 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote nightgalaxy

Great. I will check on that. Maybe I will start with 7th now and be done with 8th the by next spring. That would be perfect.   Thanks!

Mom21
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 13 2016 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote Mom21

We are an enrolled Seton family. My son is a 9th grader this year. Here are my thoughts:

7th grade --- Grammar intensive, with weekly paragraphs to write.

8th grade --- First semester is all grammar/diagramming. It is challenging. Second semester is divided among paragraph writing, essay writing and a research report. The paragraph/essay component is in the 3rd quarter and the research report is in the 4th quarter.

You would do well to start with English 7.

Both the grammar and writing plans are excellent. I have always believed with Seton that your child WILL learn how to write. The flow of paragraphs to essays to the research report is very helpful and easy to follow. The research report in 8th grade goes over the process just as much as the report itself.
Back to Top View Mom21's Profile Search for other posts by Mom21

nightgalaxy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 13 2016 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote nightgalaxy

Mom21,

Thank you so much for your input. I'm just looking for Grammar, as ds will have a separate writing (and literature) class. Sounds like Seton 7 will be just fine. If there is time next summer well do English 8 Grammar since it's just a one semester course.

Appreciate the feedback on Seton English all!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version