Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: 2016 Booklist Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 28 2016 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Has one been started already?

I wanted to add Alligators, Old Mink and New Money by Allison Houtte.

This was a fun, quick read all about the world of vintage clothing... who buys it, what to look for and how to care for it.
Allison Houtte is a former model who opened a vintage clothing store in NY. I enjoyed reading about different designers, quick fixes for thrift finds, and shopping hints. The books follows her modeling career (fascinating in and of itself) and how her love of thrift shopping led to a business.

I know many of us here are thrift shoppers... we just didn't know we were so trendy

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 05 2016 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Mrs. Arris Goes to Paris by Paul Gallico

I remember watching this as a made for TV movie with Angela Lansbury ages and ages (and ages) ago. I didn't realize until recently that it was also a book.... but   

Pefect quick read for Valentine's Day, and now, of course, I will have to watch the movie again.

countrymom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 06 2016 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote countrymom

Has anyone recommended
The Nesting Place: It Doesn’t Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful
by Myquillyn Smith

I LOVE this book
Back to Top View countrymom's Profile Search for other posts by countrymom

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2016 at 12:51am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Does anyone know this book ?
"Prudencia Prim is a highly intelligent woman. When she comes across a vacancy advertising for someone to re-organise a private library it doesn't sound terribly challenging, but as a proper bibliophile and in need of work Miss Prim's interest is instantly piqued. If the comment at the bottom of the vacancy, "graduates and post graduates need not apply", wasn't sufficient for her to discover that there is something different about her potential employer, then her meeting with The Man in the Wingchair certainly seals the deal. Furthermore, the entire village of San Ireneo de Arnois seems just slightly peculiar.

Miss Prim soon discovers that the place is an idyllic utopia of sorts for people who want to steer away from the hustle and bustle of the 21st century. They've taken it upon themselves to create a self-sufficient community, which not only means that they produce virtually everything they need on a day-to-day basis within the village, but also that they teach the children within the community themselves. From a very young age these kids become acquainted not only with the literary greats, but also with philosophical conundrums that may seem beyond the youngsters' intellectual grasp but actually motivate these still impressionable minds in exceptional ways." (from a review)

I read about this book on a German Catholic News website.
It does look really interesting.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2016 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I have had it on my list for some time since I've seen it recommended in many places, including Sarah at Amongst Lovely Things. I think it looks promising!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 08 2016 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

52 Loaves by William Alexander

I saw it on the library shelves and took a chance... turned out it surprised me in a way I never expected. The author, who is somewhat of an atheist, is on a year long quest to bake a perfect loaf of bread, and his journey takes him many places.

Towards the end of his baking year, he spends a few days baking in the kitchen at the Abbey of Saint Wandrille in Normandy... he thinks baking in an ancient oven in an ancient place will help his bread. The catch is he can only use the abbey's kitchen if he is willing to teach one of the monks to bake.

I won't spoil the story, but I will say it is a life-changing experience for him: he says nothing shakes a person up like having his lack of faith shaken. He writes beautifully of life at the abbey... this was such a joy to read as well as a great surprise hidden away towards the end of the book.

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2016 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

I know these books have been mentioned many times, but I am just now discovering them.

With God in Russia
He Leadeth Me

These have been the most spiritually enriching books I have ever read, particularly the second one. I prefer non-fiction, and Fr. Ciznek's witness as shared in these books is just life-changing!

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version