Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Going to Workbook type work? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 02 2015 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Jenn - I don't know if you use Startwrite. I would be happy to share my First Communion copywork sheets with you. ( I can probably email the files - and they shoudl work with your Startwrite) My youngest 2 boys have both used these - prayers, catechesim (to match Faith and Life questions etc) I made them for M (who is the age of your oldest son) and then my second M just used them for Grade 2 copywork last year. They are set up for New American Cursive, but I believe that you can change them into any of the fonts on Startwrite.
For both boys I made copywork books and spiral bound them at the beginning of the year.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2015 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote ekbell

A number of my children prefer Language Lessons from https://www.queenshomeschooling.com instead of less workbooky programs. The consumable workbooks cover picture study, dictation, copywork as well as grammar and creative writing.

I like the books because they take minimal work on my part, without feeling like I'm giving up all the things I liked about the less workbooky programs.

The lessons tend to be short (short enough that we double up some days) the pictures for picture study are lovely and the copywork selections are reasonably well chosen (the books are unabashedly Christian and American).

Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2015 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

There are also free worksheets for Grammar-land. He could listen on Audible, then do a worksheet.

Also, there are downloadable workbooks for Primary Language Lessons -- not free, I don't think, but possibly a way to continue MA more or less as written, with that resource, without quite so much hand-holding.

Sally

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2015 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

And speaking of copywork, my FHC copybook file is up on the MA Facebook page, too -- free to print out.

Sally

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2015 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Hi Jenn! No advice, lots up there ^ already, so I'll just add my and                   

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 07 2015 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I keep trying to come back and respond and things have been so busy. I'm here, but I won't do this justice.

Just some quick thoughts...

1) First of all, thank you. Your offerings are helpful, but the prayers have been especially felt.

2) I haven't decided on anything. I'm so slow to make changes, and I don't want to spend money on something that I might not use. I don't want to add more to my workload, so that's why I'm taking my time making this change. Although CM for the younger years needs Mom more, it's what I know and what they know. So I'm taking my time. I'm not devastated on the idea of workbooks, but I have to be convinced that they will work for us.

3) Thanks for the offers on the FHC, but he made his FHC this past May.

4) I hinted above that your prayers helped. I've been struggling for quite a while, but it's always wonderful when God sends me a little gift to help me through. It hasn't been a complete change, but my son has been much more cooperative. Some of his actions might have been from what I have been doing, but who knows. It showed me that I can work with him, and he can do it. And if you saw his angelic behavior at Sunday Mass you would have thought that he was a completely different child.

I'm not complaining -- I needed to see this. He is such a sweet and gentle child and I haven't seen it in such a long while.

5) This Tuesday worked out better. This is our atrium morning which requires the boys to be working about 1/2 hour before and afterwards while I prep, clean up and have meeting. I was very frustrated because a) I wanted them to accomplish some work and b) I needed them to stay in one place and be obedient about this. Last week was utter failure, but this week I had detailed plans and multiple options to do, and it worked out much better.

6) My focus right now is our work flow, our rhythms and schedule. It's awful, but I'll just keep plowing forward. Because of my health we have been minimalists for years. This is a different, because it's not about survival, but recovering and rebounding from survival mode. It's about developing new habits and organization which are hard from scratch.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2015 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Continuing to pray for you.

And I do know what you mean about seeing the other side of an often-difficult child. For me that's been one silver lining to my older son's departure for college -- that his younger brother, who is very headstrong and has often been my "challenging child," as one friend of mine tactfully put it, has had more of a chance to come into his own, and I have seen much more of his sweet, loving side. I knew it was there all along, but it really seems like a gift.

So glad you are seeing glimmers of progress and -- I hope -- feeling more peaceful about it all.

God bless you!

Sally

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2015 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

JennGM wrote:
This is a different, because it's not about survival, but recovering and rebounding from survival mode. It's about developing new habits and organization which are hard from scratch.

I relate to this completely (from the adoption) and for us as well it is all about reestablishing routines and better habits. It is hard! But, I am feeling glimmers of hope and much more peace. Glad to read this update, Jenn.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version