Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Your #1 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipe Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 07 2015 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Last year I found this Best Pulled Pork in a Slow Cooker Recipe.

I love this recipe. It is healthy, affordable, easy, tastes great, and multiplies easily. I can make a LOT and have enough to feed another large family or terrific leftovers for ours. I almost always double it, and if we are out of pork roast from our half a pig in the freezer, I can buy the pork shoulder from Costco, halve it, and make one double recipe right away and one for an even quicker meal in a ziploc from the freezer. (If our family were smaller, I'd get four meals from the Costco pack).

In my dreams, I would make this every week.

But I'm pretty sure everyone would soon hate it if I did that. I'd really like to have a similarly reliable slow cooker recipe for each week's menu plan. Do any of you have a similar family favorite you'd like to share?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

sunny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 07 2015 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote sunny

I got this from a friend. Because I can so easily create a variation on a theme from it, I keep this recipe posted in my cupboard. It is not my favorite, but my "go to"

2 - 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I often use chicken thighs instead)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans
1 can Mexican beans (I usually use 2 cans black instead)
1 can black olives
1 small can chopped green chilis
1 can corn (I usually use frozen corn)
1 packet taco seasoning (I never use this, but add spices of my own choice.)
One successful variation - omitted green chilis and tomatoes substituted white beans, chicken broth and herbs de provence and added greens (kale, spinach, escorole or mustard greens, etc.) at last few minutes

cook on low 7 - 8 hours or high 4 hours

break up chicken pieces with wooden spoon before serving over rice
Back to Top View sunny's Profile Search for other posts by sunny

countrymom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 07 2015 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote countrymom

One night I roast a chicken in the oven, then I throw all the bones, skin and etc into a crock pot with water and let it cook overnight. The next day I have chicken broth which I use the leftover meat form the chicken to make soup.
Back to Top View countrymom's Profile Search for other posts by countrymom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2015 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I use an electric roaster for size rather than a crock pot.. but.. a simple pot of beans about every 2 weeks is great.. have enough to eat it as a bowl of beans the first night.. and then you stick the rest in the fridge/freezer and you can use the beans as refried beans, in soups or chili, etc.

I really like this because it's stuff we'd eat anyway.. and by using the freezer it can stretch over 2 weeks with just cooking once.. depending on how many bean meals we have during that time.

I use the electric roaster because of family size.. but it can also set on the patio so that the house doesn't get heated up during the summer and of course the heat is welcome in the winter.

If you can get a beef roast (like a 7 bone roast that will shred) cheaply enough.. you can cook it like this and add peppers and onions and serve on rolls.

I will also just roast a large pork roast.. have it as a roast meal the first night and make the leftovers into pulled pork or carnitas.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2015 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

I have two favorites for a 7 quart crock

London Broil (for the size of my family I get two slabs, no idea how much they weigh but they are about 3/4 inch thick and 8 inches long)
Step 1: soak the meat in salt water for at least an hour or over night(optional)
Step 2: puree 3 bell peppers ( I like using red, yellow and orange but all red will do)
Step 3: Brown the meat and put in crock pot
Step 4:
Add Bell Pepper puree,
2 cups of cream of mushroom soup,
4 cups of beef broth or stock,
1teaspoon of pepper
2teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon tarragon
Step 5: cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat falls apart. This is great any way but over baked potatoes it is awesome.

Split Pea Soup
3 Quarts of water or broth or a mix of both
1 ham hock or pieces of ham browned and cut up
3 cups of split peas or 15 bean soup mix
1 chopped medium onion
6 med diced carrots
Salt and Pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in crock and stir well
Cook on high for 4 hours and switch to low until dinner
Remove meat from hock and chop, add back to crock

Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

HSMama
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 08 2015 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote HSMama

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/89539/slow-cooker-chicken-torti lla-soup/

This is sooooo yummy!
Back to Top View HSMama's Profile Search for other posts by HSMama

HSMama
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 08 2015 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote HSMama

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/89539/slow-cooker-chicken-torti lla-soup/

Oops
Back to Top View HSMama's Profile Search for other posts by HSMama

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2015 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

We love this jambalaya:

Colleen's Slow-Cooker Jambalaya

We like shrimp, but prefer to omit it in this dish and double the andouille instead. I probably use more chicken than the recipe calls for also. I usually serve it over brown rice.

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2015 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Busy Mom's Chicken Fajitas
From Taste of Home
Serves 6(they say
Easy and so good!! And if you double it it freezes well, also.

Ingredients
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, drained
1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, julienned
1 medium onion, halved and sliced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
Shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, optional
Directions
1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the chicken, beans, tomatoes, peppers, onion and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
2. Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred chicken and return to the slow cooker; heat through.
3. Spoon about 3/4 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top with lettuce and tomatoes if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts
1 fajita (calculated without optional toppings) equals 347 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 778 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 26 g protein.

MKelly
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 02 2015 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote MKelly

We absolutely love this recipe for 5 ingredient White Chicken Chili. If you have any leftovers (if!), it's lovely with rice the next day. Sour cream on top is a must, and crushed tortilla chips on top are yummy, too! Target usually has nice big jars of salsa verde.

Keep these comin'! We have something going on several evenings a week this year, so I desperately need some easy crock-pot ideas!
Back to Top View MKelly's Profile Search for other posts by MKelly

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2015 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

This is a favorite here. Aunt Jenny's Slow Cooker Meatballs. My dh and kids love it.
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2015 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JodieLyn wrote:
I use an electric roaster for size rather than a crock pot.. but.. a simple pot of beans about every 2 weeks is great.. have enough to eat it as a bowl of beans the first night.. and then you stick the rest in the fridge/freezer and you can use the beans as refried beans, in soups or chili, etc.

I really like this because it's stuff we'd eat anyway.. and by using the freezer it can stretch over 2 weeks with just cooking once.. depending on how many bean meals we have during that time.

I use the electric roaster because of family size.. but it can also set on the patio so that the house doesn't get heated up during the summer and of course the heat is welcome in the winter.

If you can get a beef roast (like a 7 bone roast that will shred) cheaply enough.. you can cook it like this and add peppers and onions and serve on rolls.

I will also just roast a large pork roast.. have it as a roast meal the first night and make the leftovers into pulled pork or carnitas.

I think I've asked you this before, Jodie, but do you substitute crockpot recipes in your roaster? Since posting this, our crock for our crockpot met with an untimely demise, and I was thinking that a roaster might make sense given our family size.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 13 2016 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote Jenny

I take about 2 pounds of frozen chicken breasts and dump them into the crockpot. Then I have 3 recipes I alternate.

1. add a packet of taco season and cook on high 4 hours or low 8 hours (until chicken is done) shred and use in tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas. (The recipe is correct, you don't have to add water)

2. add 1-2 cups barbecue sauce and cook as directed to use on buns or hoagies for sandwiches

3. add 1-2 cups Italian dressing and cook as above to serve over mashed potatoes or in baked potatoes

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version