Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: LOL- What does "flattering" really mean? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 28 2015 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

This cracked me up.

Can you trust the "professionals"?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 28 2015 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Hilarious!

As a tall "person of size," I can really relate to her adventures in shopping. I worked high-end retail clothing in college (tip: all men over age 40 love Pendleton wool caps), so I am picky about fit. I'm on a tight clothing budget because shoes for my weird, bad feet cost so much. I'm secretly glad to know that my frustrations with fashion are real!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 29 2015 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Yes- "fashion" appears to be in the eye of the beholder, and it is good know that no one is exempt from struggling to find clothes that look good.

But, seriously, some of those outfits!! What was funnier- her comments or the outfits themselves? It reminded me of an Emperor's new clothes situation, with the sales people trying to convince her she looked great.

I especially enjoyed the skinny and straight leg jeans that looked exactly the same, and the sweater thing that crossed in front- what the heck was that thing?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2015 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I liked her observation that purveyors of women's clothing play on women's insecurities about their bodies to score sales. I think that's always true, no matter what size you are, because no matter what size a woman is, she probably hates something, if not everything, about her body.

(aaaaannnnnd when and how did we learn to be this way? was it always thus? did 15th-century Flemish women, after pondering Van Eyck's Marriage of Arnolfini,, sit around thinking, "Does this kirtle make me look pregnant enough? Can I wear this wimple with my hideously low hairline?" Or is this something that just came in with print (and then film, and then online) media, which allowed images of "desirable" women to be widely circulated as a basis of comparison for all the rest of us?)

But I think it's especially true for heavier women, who seem to get the whole "let's just hide this because there's nothing worth showing off" schtick. Not that I'm in favor of flaunting a lot of flesh, but what does it do to your psyche to be told that the best possible thing to do with most of your corporal self is just to cover it up, because really nobody wants to look at that? "They'll be so busy wondering how on earth you got into that criss-cross backwards sweater thing that they won't even notice there's an actual body in it! Score!"

Sally

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 29 2015 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well women were making themselves sick trying to match the waist size of Queen Elizabeth who was a small woman to start with.

I think there was always a beauty of the day that women tried to be. The Greek legends would have described beauty. Even the Bible, describes attributes that should be considered as/above beauty and those writings were often a response to how society was at the time.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2015 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Well, right. And medieval/Renaissance women were plucking their hairlines. It's always been something. But the sheer variety of clothing options available to women today seems really unparalleled in earlier times -- and all these choices seem to bring all this angst with them, maybe because there's more a sense of something's being *individually* flattering to one person's body, rather than simply being a single ideal everyone who had the means would conform to in her clothing. (ie the wasp waist, or the bustle, or the pouter-pigeon blouse, or whatever).

Sally

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 29 2015 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I do know that the women that I look at and consider their outfit flattering probably has less to do with the style than the fact that they are wearing an outfit that looks put together and that they're happy with. I guess it's the woman's care and happiness with her outfit that make it pretty.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2015 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I think you're right. There's nothing more flattering than confidence. :)

Sally

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version