Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Kolbe, MODG or Seton for high school Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
nightgalaxy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 24 2015 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote nightgalaxy

Although my younger son is only in 7th grade, I am considering enrolling him in a Catholic umbrella school for high school. I would like to have flexibility with being able to use my own curricula or outsource Math, Science, and foreign language and maybe Literature but utilize the umbrella school's history and religion. Umbrella school online classes for history and religion would be a plus for the interaction. Son is a right brained visual learner and into art. Will be seeking the college high school diploma but son will have to work hard for it. Looking for the gentler of the 3 schools in terms of rigor. Would love any feedback!
Back to Top View nightgalaxy's Profile Search for other posts by nightgalaxy

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2015 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

One option you might consider, since you want to combine outsourced/school courses with your own program is Homeschool Connections. They have excellent options for history and religion, plus any other courses you might want someone else to handle (math, science, etc). Many courses are designated as "college prep" or "AP," if you were looking for that level. HSC isn't a school as such -- it's a la carte online classes -- but they have some useful materials for helping you to design a high-school program using some or all of their offerings. (full disclosure: I teach poetry for HSC, so I can speak from the viewpoint of an instructor in the program, not a parent).

Anyway, possibly an option that wouldn't require enrollment in any one program, therefore offering you maximum flexibility.

God bless,

Sally

nightgalaxy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 24 2015 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote nightgalaxy

Sally,

Thank you for your feedback. Homeschool Connections is attractive and it is a possibility. However, I was looking for the accredited diploma, thus the MODG, Kolbe or Seton query. I am mostly interested in them for history and religion.

Thanks!

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2015 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

Out of those three, I would choose Kolbe. I would probably choose the online option, as well.

There's also Queen of Heaven Academy. They are accredited. There is a process you can go through to get outside classes approved for credit. They are actually trying to make this process easier right now. You can do part time enrollment with them. A friend of mine uses it for history and literature. She's been very happy.

I think MODG would be the gentlest rigorwise, but if he's not a writer, it could get difficult. There is a lot of writing in it.
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

nightgalaxy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 24 2015 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote nightgalaxy

Anitamarie,

Thank you for your reply. What do you like about Kolbe?

Thank you for letting me know about Queen of Heaven Academy. I will have to check out their history and religion offerings.

Beth

rose gardens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 05 2015 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote rose gardens

We use Kolbe and enjoy it. I have friends who use Mother of Divine Grace and Seton and their families likes those programs as well.

Kolbe offers a great deal of flexibility within a larger structure of support. I really like the books that Kolbe suggests, their course outlines and tests that they have created and the progression of studies designed from Freshman through Senior year of high school. Kolbe uses classical "real books" over textbooks for Literature and History. They offer a choice of lesson plans for textbooks in math between Foerster and Saxon. And they offer three different diploma types, with various levels of flexibility, so if your child is a non-traditional learner and you need to make adjustments to their lessons plan or curriculum, it's rather easy to do that with Kolbe.

Kolbe offers on-line classes too. We haven't taken them, but if that's something important to you, they are available through Kolbe. If you wanted to enroll your child in a different on-line class or a co-op class towards some transcript credit, that option is possible with Kolbe as long as the work is high school level or higher.
Back to Top View rose gardens's Profile Search for other posts by rose gardens

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2015 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Here is my take:

Depends on WHY you are enrolling. If you want to just have an accredited diploma, but mainly do your own stuff (ie you don't care about the lesson plans or grading etc) do Kolbe - it will be the best for your budget and flexibility. Counselors are available but you have to pay extra for grading.

If you wish to have a chunk of the grading done for you especially if it would benefit your kids to have someone else grading apart from mom (and if you are just tired out and need a grading break) - use Seton. Also use Seton if your child would like good daily lesson plans with a lot of very practical support in them (eg how to write a report, how to take a test etc etc)

Mother of Divine Grace is worth it if you are using a lot of their plans (and better if you have a lot of children enrolled - costly for just one child) They do have a counselor assigned to you which is some support - but you have to pay extra for grading and other services I believe (as you do with Kolbe)

Kolbe is the toughest option IF you are going to be following the lesson plans. The amount of reading and writing are incredible - and not for those students who find it hard to read vast quantities of "dense' text. eg last quarter of 10th grade you have to read City of God and Confessions. You are also supposed to do a paper for each subject weekly (though if not doing honors you can leave out some) All the lit and history books are original texts - the Great Books - which are good but can be too much for the average 14, 15 and 16 year old unless the parent really reads with them, mentors and discusses with them. Not for independent study.

All three are great in different ways. You need to look in detail at the texts and see what your child would like to study. All can be flexible - even Seton - you can do your own Math, Foreign Language and Science - you just have to do their History, Religion and some of their literature.

I have free lanced (done my own diploma and transcript) and have also enrolled Seton and Kolbe. At this point I think most favorably of Seton because of their incredible support, their clearly written lesson plans (my boys LOVE Seton - they did well with Kolbe but there is not much guidance in the lesson plans)and the help with grading that at this stage of my life I need (with younger and older kids, looking after older parents etc etc)

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

nightgalaxy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 10 2015 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote nightgalaxy

Marilyn,

This was extremely helpful! Thank you so very much.

I am leaning toward Kolbe.

Mom21
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 16 2015 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mom21

We have used Seton since 6th grade and we really like it. I have only one son, who is now a 9th grader. One thing to consider is that with Seton, you do have several diploma options, giving you, the parent, the opportunity to have your child on a track that will best serve his needs now and post-high school. We are using the Vocational Diploma track. My son is leaning heavily toward a trade after high school and perhaps the military. He is very interested in our area's "John Deere Academy." The Vocational Diploma puts him in classes he must have while at the same time giving him flexibility to take classes outside the home to learn trades during high school. He goes to our local high school for that.

I would agree with Marilyn that Seton gives great support and their lesson plans are top notch. I wouldn't be without Seton.

That being said, too, I know this forum is mostly for Charlotte Mason style curriculum users, but I come here from time to time to read the good posts.

God bless and good luck!!
Back to Top View Mom21's Profile Search for other posts by Mom21

nightgalaxy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 16 2015 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote nightgalaxy

HI Mom21,

Thank you for taking time to let me know about your experience with Seton and about the different diploma types. I really appreciate it.

Beth

setonmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 16 2015 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote setonmom

You mentioned an accredited diploma. Kolbe and Seton do not have the same accreditation. Kolbe is accredited by NAPCIS, Seton is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. In my opinion the Seton accreditation is a better accreditation, this is one of six regional accrediting agencies that is the same agency your local public school is accredited by.
Back to Top View setonmom's Profile Search for other posts by setonmom

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2015 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

nightgalaxy wrote:
Anitamarie,

Thank you for your reply. What do you like about Kolbe?

Thank you for letting me know about Queen of Heaven Academy. I will have to check out their history and religion offerings.

Beth

I think it's just personal preference. They are the closest to the way I have taught high school to my oldest. I say this as a mom whose second child is fully enrolled with Queen of Heaven this year. I do like Queen of Heaven as well. It is the second closest to our method of education.

We enrolled our daughter in Queen of Heaven because that is where she really wanted to be at this time. She really needed to not have her parents be her teachers in academics anymore, and she has friends who are enrolled there also. It is also fairly close to what we shoot for at home. So far, we have been pleased. It will be a year by year decision for her.

As we are looking down the road for the next kiddos in line we are looking at all our options. Every one of them is so different with very different needs. For our oldest, a combination of classes at home with me or Dad, co-op classes, online classes at Memoria Press and Homeschool Connections and dual enrollment was how it all came together. We have found that asking for their input and helping them figure out where they think they want to head next is instrumental. It is so helpful to both of you if their is a goal and a vision.

Good luck with your decisions.

Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version