Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: daily work baskets Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
countrymom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 15 2015 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote countrymom

I don't know much about this idea. I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old this year as well as a 2 year old who will be in on the action. I really need to have a nice school year for the sake of my sanity. I am not interested in large scale academics. I am interested in fostering shared learning time and cozy days where we get along and read lots of books, do puzzles, play games ect. Phonics and Math will be part of it as well.
Can anyone give me good links or ideas?
Back to Top View countrymom's Profile Search for other posts by countrymom

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2015 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Have you considered workboxes? You can google that or even search here and get lots of information. I used them for several years and I felt they were useful. You can make it as formal or informal as you want. They would be great for times when you need to keep a couple of kids busy for working one on one with the other.

Morning Time basket is ideal for everything else you mentioned. Just load it with great books to read, games etc. and get your kids into the routine of morning family time. We always start with prayer and then a devotional book or saint story. From there, it is really up to you.   Here is one of Jen's posts about how she does it at the Wildflowers and Marbles blog, and here is another great series at the Morning Time Moms blog. Plus searching right here at 4Real will bring up lots of discussions I'm sure!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

countrymom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 18 2015 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote countrymom

thank you so much for these links

countrymom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 18 2015 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote countrymom

Becky Parker wrote:
Have you considered workboxes?

I had a friend who did these. It seemed like she spent oodles of time getting the system up and running and then the littles destroyed it. That is the only knowledge I have of workboxes
I will look into this. I am pretty much done schooling my child who needed a structured "school at home" approach, so I feel free to branch out with the next group.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2015 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

For a younger group, I think Becky's suggestion of a Morning Basket is right on. I had looked at workboxes at one point, too, when I had more of a range of children at home, but also thought that a) it seemed like a lot of WORK to keep up with, and b) I would invest all this time and energy in setting up a system, but my kids, who do not live inside my head and perceive my wonderful designs at all times, would not get with the program, to put it mildly.

But if you focused on developing a daily basket with a rotation of read alouds -- something for religion daily, something to read for history (like those beautiful D'Aulaire picture books), something like Paddle-to-the-Sea for geography, even some math picture books like the ones by Greg Tang (the Living Math website has a great booklist, ranked by age), etc -- many days that could just *be* school. You might grab your 6yo for a little reading instruction here, a little more formal math there. But even on days when you couldn't get to those things, the Morning Basket, plus plenty of free play and outdoor time, would offer a rich imaginative diet for the growing mind without feeling like schooly-school.

And then if you do need to focus on older kids after that, you can have peace of mind, knowing that you've "touched" your younger children's education in a way that is real and beautiful.

Sally

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version