Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: World Meeting of Families Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 04 2015 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

Anyone attending this in Philadelphia? If so where are you staying?
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 10 2015 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

Wow zippo replies...I am beginning to wonder if any 'families' are attending this world meeting of families? I know of one couple attending--leaving kids at home. The hotel prices have exponentially increased in Philly for this...which I think will keep many from attending...sad to think there will not be a great turn out for the Pope but perhaps people will just come to see him for the day.    
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2015 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

We had planned to go, but prices for everything x6 just kept us from being able to go.

We will probably go to see the Pope's Mass at Madison Square Garden in NYC, which is only about 7 hours from us. Then we'll do a few things like Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 10 2015 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

Yes Monica, we are in the same boat....I am a fan of supply/demand but seriously people are charging $1500 per night for home rental and hotels $500. We are in midwest too so it is likely not going to happen. I am sure the crowd in NY will be great!

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2015 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Did you check that house swap web site? I considered doing that, but there's no way I could get my house "company ready" with four kids living here. LOL.

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2015 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Maggie

The pricing is incredibly ridiculous. We looked at renting rooms in a private house...until we realized it was $400/nt/room!!!!! We just cannot believe the pricing. I hate to say it, but I don't think the turnout will be that great.
My other concern is children's programming. We NEVER leave even our older kids with people we don't know ... The programming is worded vaguely...and while some of it seemed solid, other parts of it seemed watered down...but that's just the impression dh and I got...

cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 14 2015 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

Best quote we found on house swap was 9,000 for the week, not kidding. Less 'World Youth Day' and more 'We are hosting the Olympics' mind set it seems. There is a great train system so staying in NJ or outside Philly may be a good option.   

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2015 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Anyone take a look at the Home Stay site? The prices on there make it seem more affordable, although I think we are still planning to go to see the Pope in NYC instead.

roomintheheart
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 15 2015 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote roomintheheart

Our diocese put together a bus trip which included lodging and events. I forget how much it was, but in the thousands per person. With 7 of us, there was simply no way. It is out of reach of so many families, which is sad.
Back to Top View roomintheheart's Profile Search for other posts by roomintheheart

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version