Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: New Homeschooler with Pre-K Curriculum Ov Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jonesfamily08
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 15 2015 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote jonesfamily08

Hi! I'm new (introduced myself briefly in the Tea thread). I have a 4 ½ year old DD I'm hoping to start a Pre-K program with. I have a DS who is 21 months younger, so he'll be 3 when the school year starts and along for the ride.

I know many people say you don't need to do any school with Pre-K, and several of the programs don't start till K. But, I want to to "get my feet wet," build confidence that we can do this, and begin to be more intentional about my interaction with my children.

I need a "curriculum" of sorts to keep me on task, because I am NOT creative. But the Seton or CHC or other Catholic full Pre-K curriculum don't seem to fit with my interest in other materials I've found. Am I crazy to blend things from the get-go with no experience?

I have purchased a used copy of "Little Saints" and it's on it's way. But I was considering introducing some "Get Ready for the Code" and/or "Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" for pre-reading/reading. I discovered Angelicum Academy which seems to use many resources I'm curious about. Has anyone used it? I can't gather from their website exactly how it works.

I also love the idea of unit studies for the little kids. I'm sure there's more controversy over whether it's a good style as kids grow, but it seems perfect for littles and for working in some liturgical year training. I'm not sure if Little Saints is actual unit study, but it seems to follow weekly themes, which I think would allow me to bring in a lot of outside material that is sparking my interest. Many of those are Usborne books. I bought my daughter two (one about tigers and one about cats) and she loved them. As a child, I would have PORED over those types of books, so I want to incorporate that kind of thing into anything I do.

I know I'm rambling...but to summarize: Anyone used Angelicum Academy? How does it work? Anyone used Little Saints? Thoughts on any of my crazy ideas?

Thank you so much!!!
Back to Top View jonesfamily08's Profile Search for other posts by jonesfamily08

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 15 2015 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I really think the most important thing to do with little ones, in addition to working on good habits, is to establish a family culture around reading. I'm definitely in the camp that you don't *need* a preschool curriculum, but English Lessons Through Literature Level 0 is a free curriculum that offers some structure for making that happen.

I also think the best resource for preschoolers to learn their letters and sounds and early reading are the original LeapFrog videos, The Letter Factory and The Talking Words Factory. They are superior to the newer videos and delightful.

Angelicum's lists are good and available online, and I draw from them often, but I don't think you would benefit from their lesson plans at this age. Just keep reading good books and hone your own skills in building your family library and becoming a connoisseur of good literature.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2015 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Something you might be able to do with both of your children is Five in a Row. It is a gentle unit-study approach to quality children's books. I did it with my youngest two this year and they really enjoyed it.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2015 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

Welcome!
I did use Little Saints for my first 2 (with a tag along little sister) and really enjoyed it. Now looking back it probably wasn't necessary but we had a good time with it. It was structured enough to keep me going and flexible enough to keep me sane

My big suggestion would be to prepare all of the material over the summer and put in some sort of file box (I used a portable plastic one we had on hand). That made life really easy. I also marked in the book whether our library had the suggested books or not. If I had tried to do the prep each week, it wouldn't have gotten done.

Another great resource is Moira Farrel's Home Catechesis Manual ages 3-5 at Our Father's House If you would like to make the Mass material, Lacy at Catholic Icing has good ideas.

HTH
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 15 2015 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

There are also Preschool Prep videos and accompanying materials. They would give the meat and potatoes of pre-reading and you can fill the rest of your day with more play & exploration based activities (and good literature read-alouds). A general Montessori and/or Reggio philosophy resource might give you a jumping off point for enriching your environment. I have been very happy with Project Based Homeschooling by Lori Pickert. The nice thing about preschool is that since you shouldn't spend much time on formal seat-work, you can really delve into learning in more real-world ways.

Back to Top View 3ringcircus's Profile Search for other posts by 3ringcircus

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2015 at 11:33pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

Oh I forgot a really fun resource is My Montessori Journey . She isn't blogging there anymore but it is a treasure trove of fun, educational ideas.

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 15 2015 at 11:59pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Lindsay is right, in my opinion...reading together is the best possible foundation. I am a huge Jim Trelease fan (I've even attended one of his talks) and I can't say enough good things about the benefits of reading aloud to your children - at any age!

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2015 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Aagot

amongst lovely things
Has the Read Aloud Revival with great podcasts and book ideas.

jonesfamily08
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 16 2015 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote jonesfamily08

Thanks! Several of these I knew about, but many I didn't.

I didn't know about the Home Catechesis from my Father's House, so that's neat!

I'm hesitant to do any video based learning at this point, because my 2 ½ year old son is OBSESSED with any movie/DVD/device. I know they can be tools, and I'm DEFINITELy not opposed to them, but I need to wait till he can branch out.

And the main reason I feel I need a curriculum is because he will not sit still to do a story. Not even a short one. So, while simply reading good books seems like it would be a great, easy, peaceful activity...it only is if I don't have DS around. I need a bit more activity till he calms down. I think this non-crafty mama needs to involve more crafts, songs, activities.
Back to Top View jonesfamily08's Profile Search for other posts by jonesfamily08

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2015 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Can he color/play with lego/play quietly with a truck/build blocks . . . etc . . . while you read? I have two boys who were both quite kinetic as littles, and while neither of them was about to snuggle up to me to hear a story, they would listen while they played.

I also used audio books a lot when my older son (now 17) was a preschooler. It might take him a while to get involved in a story, but I noticed that when the tape was on (it was tapes in those days!), his play got noticeably quieter. At the nursery school he attended, one of the teachers pointed out to me that whenever he wanted to tell her something important, he had to be running up and down, or hopping (like doing hopskotch) while he talked, which was a sign of a kinetic learner. Movement was just how he processed things -- not a sign that I shouldn't give him stories to process!

Even with a child always in motion, now is the time to start introducing the idea of listening and enjoying a book together. Just don't require him to sit, and you may be surprised by how well he really can listen.

Sally

countrymom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 16 2015 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote countrymom

I use
this

and
this

for preschool. Not what you are asking about at all, but we really like it
Back to Top View countrymom's Profile Search for other posts by countrymom

jonesfamily08
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 17 2015 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote jonesfamily08

Sally-up till now, he only throws/scatters legos, so I put them away months ago. He will occasionally play with his trains, and since it's been a few months, I need to break out the legos again. I just need to keep trying!

Countrymom-I like the tangram exercises with that math program! My daughter already likes an iPad app that does tangrams.

countrymom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 03 2015 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote countrymom

jonesfamily08 wrote:

Countrymom-I like the tangram exercises with that math program!   

If you are not into doing their whole math program, you can just get a
Tangram book
Back to Top View countrymom's Profile Search for other posts by countrymom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version