Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Special Blessings
 4Real Forums : Special Blessings
Subject Topic: Resources.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 04 2015 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

Deborah,
Thanks so much for sharing what you used with your son. I probably already have some of those resources and will take a good look at the others. My dd is high functioning but developmentally delayed if that makes any sense. And she loves art and being creative so it would be nice to incorporate that into anything she does. Thanks again!
Anne
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 04 2015 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

I will be happy to share my thoughts on the Dynamic Catholic program once I receive it and have a chance to look it over. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
Anne
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2015 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Deborah,
   I am thinking that just living the faith might be a possible course of action you could take with your son. Can he join in family prayer? Is there any way to involve him in community service? My own ASD son and I worked together in a food bank. He needs my supervision quite a lot, but he did help fill the bags with me and it was a great experience for him to help others. If you can't do that kind of thing, maybe something at home like folding clothes for a pregnancy center would work. Also, the basics if possible--Mass, liturgical year celebrations, maybe a few novenas. I wonder if living the faith to the best of his capability makes more sense than trying to make an academic exercise of learning the material and stressing over how much he is understanding. God has ways of teaching our children through the graces of the sacraments that are beyond what we could ever imagine.

If there are specific things you feel he needs to learn or review, could that be incorporated just as a comment/teaching minute before Mass/prayers? For example, the communion of the saints could be discussed several times in November when celebrating All Saints' and All Souls' days.

I don't know if this makes sense in your situation, but I'll be praying for discernment and wisdom and patience for you!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2015 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

I'm wondering if looking at the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd program may be of some use?   As the program seems to be hands-on and object-based.

Particularly as the objects used are supposed to be home-made and so you can find instructions on making various biblical and liturgical items.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2015 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Caroline,

Well, living the Faith is important. I don't want to give up quite yet on direct teaching, but you have a point.

I also want to finish the half-credit he started.

Thank you,

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2015 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

ekbell,

Catechesis of the Good Shepherd would probably be awesome, but I don't really have the time and energy to put it together. Right now it takes 6+ hours a day (not including PE) to work with him. I have to work now on transition issues this summer as well as his Boy Scout stuff -- trying to do CGS would overload me. I know that I should probably try anyway, but I just feel tired thinking about it. I am well past 50 and my energy level is not what it was.

I'm trying not to feel guilty. I am definitely not a Super Mom.

Anyone want to do CGS with an autie teen?

In Christ,

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2015 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Hi all!

Kmen Crusaders had some fun products that might work for my son. Unfortunately, they went out of business some time ago, and I fear it would be hard to find things like Angels and Saints, Crosses and Crowns. However, I had saved at least one of these so I will use that one over the next year (with some modifications).

I'm still thinking about what topics (instead of programs or books) I'd like to cover.

In Christ,

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2015 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Could you post here (and on social media if you felt comfortable doing that) to see if anyone has the items you're looking for and would like to rent/sell them to you?

Maybe we can help you find the items you need!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version