Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Bullet Journaling Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 01 2015 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Has anyone tried it? I know Stef uses it. Anyone else? Here is the introductory video produced by the man who developed it.

I am trying it cold turkey, and fortunately for my silly perfectionism, today is June 1st, so I could start today I've seen and tried so many systems for keeping notebooks and planners, and this is the most intuitive to me. I will have to continue to keep a separate calendar in order to juggle appointments and meetings for our brood, but the simplicity of keeping just one notebook like a continuous but organized brain dump looks so intuitive to me. I've never before seen a system where I went, "I can do that!!!" instead of "I need to do that!!" I never seem to make it out of the brain dump phase of Getting Things Done, and I really think that this will be the method that makes my right-brained self actually able to implement GTD and other systems that have worked somewhat in fits and starts but never quite fit with my needs as a messy-creative-distractable-perfectionist.

It is especially cool that I came across it at a time when I also feel like I am making strides in getting our home in order through the methods in The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up that we've discussed in this thread. Again, it was one of the first times in all the minimalist/decluttering/organizing reading I've done where I felt instantly capable rather than merely idealistically longing.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2015 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

This looks very interesting, but I'm wondering how you log entries that happen later in time? For example, it's June 1, but my son's birthday is June 27. I want to make a note to myself to purchase and ship his present a week or ten days before his actual birthday, so maybe on June 17. But with this system, I don't know how much space to leave to accommodate June 1-June 16's bullet lists. So how would I log that?

Maybe you use this with another calendar as your "tickler" system, but then you have two calendars which is confusing.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2015 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I have used a similar journal in the past as a "brain dump" kind of resource, just a running list of stuff. I do like the idea of the bullets.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 01 2015 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I think that, for me and from what I've seen others do, the journal calendar is more of a "What I've done" and what immediately needs to be done this month. When I started journaling this morning, I recorded the events for the month from my monthly calendar, and it didn't feel redundant. I will defintely still need to keep that separate monthly calendar. The future planning is the admitted weakness in the system.

In the case of your son's gift, that would be a monthly action item. You would make it a check box item immediately following the monthly breakdown. Also, for any daily action items that don't get done, you recopy them onto the following day with an arrow next to it so you are aware it was an item brought forward.

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2015 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

I like this idea. I think setting it up would overwhelm me. (I'm a perfectionist). I really find it easy to bullet the things I need to do each day in my Catholic Daily Planner. There is enough room in there to list items to do, meal plans, etc.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 01 2015 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Hi Lindsay!!

I've used a bullet-type journal/GTD for years -- I kinda culled what was working for me from the Stephen Covey system and from David Allen's and added my own.

I'm just finishing up my last Moleskine journal and then I'm switching to a Leuchtturm1917 which is perfect for me to do GTD + Bullet Journal.

Where I always fail is referring back to my master list/brain dump list and keeping track of where I am with things. I've gotten better, but still trying to improve.

I found GTD's categories and contexts etc., etc., much too complicated for my own purposes, so I do a brain dump at the start of every month, and then look at the brain dump list every Sunday and make a new list off of that for the week, and then make my daily task list off of the weekly task list.

From the Stephen Covey system I inherited the bullet symbols, but I use a really simple one, mostly In Progress, Done, and Forward.

Since the Leuchtturm1917 has numbered pages and table of contents, it takes away the headache of figuring out where I did the brain dump or where my weekly list went, etc. The subsequent pages after each weekly list can go as long or as short as I need it and includes all kinds of things like Scripture meditations, journal entries, shopping lists (though I'm trying to be better with that and use my phone for discardable check lists instead of my journal), mind maps, doodling.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

setonmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 03 2015 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote setonmom

Back when I was a young working person, I had a similar system that worked very well. I used a stenographers pad. On the cover of the pad I would write the beginning and end dates I used it for. Every day I would write the date on the page. Any phone conversations, notes, information would be written in that pad and NOT on a scrap of paper. I also had a separate old fashioned ledger book where i logged all incoming work. I could always find information I needed.
Back to Top View setonmom's Profile Search for other posts by setonmom

MKelly
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 04 2015 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote MKelly

Lindsay, I started using a bullet journal back in February, and although I've not quite gotten in the rhythm I'd like to yet, I really like the system. I am a list maker by nature (better at making them then completing them, sigh...), and prior to the bullet system I was really trying to make the Power of Moms system (based on GTD) work. But it just seemed like I had multiple lists going, and I never could get a handle on all of my papers and lists. The simplicity of having ONE notebook where I could jot things down is what really attracted me. Also, I like that you have to transfer items not completed each month, so you are reminded of not only what you are/are not accomplishing, but also asking yourself, is it realistic what I'm asking myself to complete? I found this blog post had a really cool explanation of how she made it work for her, particularly how she lays out step by step how she plans her days using her bullet journal.   I also use a regular calendar in place of the calendar in the bullet journal - I just like seeing a regular calendar. I've heard of some people actually gluing in calendar pages right into their bullet journals.   Mine is very much still a work in progress, but at least I am not losing lists! Many times since February I have been able to go right to the page where I had jotted down ideas or project plans, which has been awesome. I'm grateful for this discussion because I want to really use it to its full potential, and I'm looking forward to some time this summer to get it going.
Monica
Back to Top View MKelly's Profile Search for other posts by MKelly

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 04 2015 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Thanks for you insight, Monica. That is helpful and encouraging. I will definitely take a look at the link you shared.

Someone just shared this post with me on creating a Homeschool Bullet Journal.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2015 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thank you for this post. I had never heard of bullet journals. I really really like the idea. DD and I have set up a month's trial in old composition books - to see how we do. If it works we will treat ourselves to a fancier indexed notebook (still way cheaper than a planner)

I really like the system so far - I find it intuitive. I always have so many lists and notes all over the place - nice to have them all in one book. I am enjoying the freedom of having anything I want in my planner.

So far for June I have:
Calendar
Task list
Daily journals
Summer menu plans and recipe ideas
Vacation shopping list
Summer book lists for me and all the children
Contact information for various ballet classes for youngest dd

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2015 at 4:33am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I'm really liking it, too, Marilyn. The past couple of days I took my journal with me to swim team practice at the pool. It has made me feel so productive instead of feeling captive. I still have to chase toddlers, but I can quickly record all those thoughts I have while staring into space, thinking about dinner or chores or school or whatever.

I've taken paper for notes during my down time before, but I always felt like I could only take notes on one thing (e.g. a menu or project plan), but that isn't really how my mind works. I love being able to take notes in a more stream of conscience manner.

MKelly
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 22 2015 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote MKelly

Lindsay, thanks for that blog post! I'm starting to get back into the swing of things with my bullet journal- it's just trying to make it a daily habit that is tricky! I'm good about doing a brain dump, but find it more challenging to just force myself to make a daily list each evening. Caroline, you mentioned you would need to have some sort of "tickler" system for purposes of future planning in conjunction with a bullet journal, and I think you are right. The same woman I referenced before who wrote this post also explained how she used her bullet journal in conjunction with her "tickler system"and it seems like a pretty tight little system. Thoughts? I'm considering trying it myself...I have used a "tickler"system in the past, but this one is much more comprehensive. I've tried just writing "tickler" reminders on my calendar, but that hasn't worked very well for me, and it seems like you need some sort of physical tickler anyways to keep things that you will need for future purposes like birthday cards, appointment cards, tickets to an event, etc.

MKelly
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 22 2015 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote MKelly

And Monica, I love the Catholic Daily Planner, too, and I say keep using it if it works for you! I'm trying to figure out how I could make aspects of that planner work still, because I like knowing the feast days, monthly papal prayer intentions, etc. I'm only looking to the bullet journal because I found that I would write down my daily to do's in my planner each day, and then once I had passed the week, I would forget about certain items that never got done - out of sight, out of mind for me.   I actually wish there was a Catholic Daily Planner in a wall size, since then our whole family could see the liturgical days coming up, etc. On a side note, the bullet journal was surprisingly easy to set up (that's coming from another fellow perfectionist! ) and allows a huge amount of flexibility.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 22 2015 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Well, it's sold out now, but maybe you can get Michele's next calendar when it's out!

Michele Quigley's Liturgical Wall Calendar

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 22 2015 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

stefoodie wrote:
Well, it's sold out now, but maybe you can get Michele's next calendar when it's out!

Michele Quigley's Liturgical Wall Calendar

I have both, and I think that I am definitely more of a wall calendar planner. I just never use the weekly pages in my daily planner. I'm so glad that Michele made the wall planner!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 22 2015 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

MKelly wrote:
Lindsay, thanks for that blog post! I'm starting to get back into the swing of things with my bullet journal- it's just trying to make it a daily habit that is tricky! I'm good about doing a brain dump, but find it more challenging to just force myself to make a daily list each evening. Caroline, you mentioned you would need to have some sort of "tickler" system for purposes of future planning in conjunction with a bullet journal, and I think you are right. The same woman I referenced before who wrote this post also explained how she used her bullet journal in conjunction with her "tickler system"and it seems like a pretty tight little system. Thoughts? I'm considering trying it myself...I have used a "tickler"system in the past, but this one is much more comprehensive. I've tried just writing "tickler" reminders on my calendar, but that hasn't worked very well for me, and it seems like you need some sort of physical tickler anyways to keep things that you will need for future purposes like birthday cards, appointment cards, tickets to an event, etc.

This is a helpful explanation. I don't really have enough paper that is time sensitive to have a daily tickler, but I keep meaning to use a monthly system more, I just haven't made it happen. Her explanation of her bullet journal was really helpful!

MKelly
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 22 2015 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote MKelly

Somehow I missed that! Thank you!

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2015 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

I started this at the beginning of the year. While I love many things about it, it has become burdensome to make a new list each week. I guess I prefer premade forms that I can fill in as I go. I wrote a post on how I am doing mine. It includes some pictures. Bullet journal

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2015 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Does anyone use a tickler file in addition to their bullet journal. I used to use one, and am contemplating setting one up again,

If you use a tickler,please share any views.

I think I prefer the daily tickler (as in GTD) to the weekly one that Dawn uses in her File Crate system.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MKelly
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 27 2015 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote MKelly

Following this, Marilyn! I had set up a monthly tickler (Power of Moms suggestion), but I'm finding I need a place to put reminders for various things in the future - which, again, the bullet journal isn't good for. Right now I'm just jotting artificial deadlines on my calendar as reminders, but I wonder about going to a daily tickler system....I guess I'm worried that it's one more thing I have to check each day! I'm curious to know what made you stop using it before.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version