Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Number of terms? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 18 2015 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

I'm a known over thinker of unnecessary things. Keep that in mind.

3 or 4 terms? That is the question. I've done both and every year I wish I had done the other. So, please entertain me and tell me what you do and why.

I like 3 terms since CM used that. I also like being different from the public school in that regard. I don't like the three terms when Christmas break comes and we are halfway through a term and must break. We like to take a week off after each term and those are far between with three terms.

I like 4 terms because they are shorter and give me short term goals. We do end-of-term examinations and 4 seems a little too many.

I like dividing course work up according to terms too but the upcoming year won't fit any better in 3 or 4, so I don't have that to help me decide this year. I would love to be more consistent with our term numbers.

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2015 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I work in 6 week increments. This means a clean break at Christmas after 3 terms, then 3 more after if you want a full 36 weeks, or 4 before, 2 after. Whatever. It is a little more flexible, anyway. I just made it up, lol, though I think I had heard of a 6 week on, 1 week off schedule before.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2015 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote Martha

None of the above. We just school and keep on keeping on. I don't plan by dates, but by what we are doing, doing next, doing after that...

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2015 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Martha wrote:
None of the above. We just school and keep on keeping on. I don't plan by dates, but by what we are doing, doing next, doing after that...

That's what we do, too. Just keep plugging along...

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2015 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

I like the just keep plugging along part. That is what happens no matter anyway. I just feel organized when I have terms and dates on the calendar. And that is all it is, just a feeling to make me feel organized no matter if I am or not.

motherheart
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 22 2015 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote motherheart

Cassie, I can relate.

I am the organized, lets have things planned out person. Most of my kids are not. I'm still trying to learn to go with the flow. I like having a plan in place and I need to open to amend it when necessary.

Mom to ds 16, dd 14, dd 13, ds 9, ds 6, and 4 in Heaven
Back to Top View motherheart's Profile Search for other posts by motherheart

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 23 2015 at 3:10am | IP Logged Quote Erin

I'm in Australia, when I was a child our school system worked on 3 terms, then in my late teens they changed to 4 terms. So I've done both from a child perspective and (now 4 terms from a parent perspective)

I'd choose 4 terms anytime. Far more effective (for both student and teacher) than 3.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2015 at 6:30am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Our year just naturally breaks into two semesters. I tried doing three terms this past year, but really didn't stick to it -- the schedule didn't fit our pace.

On paper, ie for high-school recordkeeping purposes, we do two semesters and a "summer semester," which is basically unschooling, but I count things the kids do (classes, camps, jobs, etc) under some academic umbrella or other.

I do use rough start and stop dates, because we take the summer off. (eta: "take the summer off" = "world is our classroom" time). Beyond that, it's all pretty flex.

Sally

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 23 2015 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Sally

Just thinking, your husband works at your local College, most of your children are at College. I'm assuming like Australian universities they have two semesters at year? so do you think this is why it fall naturally for your family into two semesters?

Thinking more about this I've realised we've adapted our terms to fit more around when our college children are home. So we're finishing some terms earlier than the local schools but we're commencing earlier to balance. Basically when they return to their city life we return to studies

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2015 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Well, that, and who doesn't take a break at Christmas? :) I guess one way or another, between being a student and being a teacher I've lived on a traditional academic schedule my whole life, so it's hard for me not to conceive of time in those increments.

But yes, this is underscored by the fact that Dad and the older kids are home and available to hang out and play at certain times.

Sally

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2015 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

On the other hand, as I've been planning my upcoming years -- for only two children (snif, but it's kind of nice, too) -- I have been following the Mater Amabilis format. Lindsay had made up a really nice template for moving the MA syllabi into actual weekly plans (which are being worked on!), and working in 6/12-week increments does fit nicely with so many, many things.

So in *practice* I think what the kids will experience are semesters: fall and spring. But on paper, we have, for example, three of Plutarch's lives -- one for each 12-week term, which nobody will pay attention to except maybe me.

On the other hand, we're doing four artists for art appreciation, because that's how many are in the book we're reading. So they're spread out over nine weeks each (so more like quarters in a 36-week year). Four composers for music appreciation, so ditto.

This past year I planned a 30-week year, with room for lots of down time, makeup reading, etc. Next year I'm going back to 36 planned weeks, because the kids are older, but also because most resources assume a 36-week year, and it's just easier to schedule that than to condense into 30 weeks -- which will end up being more than that because of interruptions anyway.

For transcript purposes, I record grades (grade 7-up) fall and spring. So again, on that kind of paper, it looks as though we just do semesters.

Sally

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2015 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

I think my term numbers have been decided for me since I'm using mostly AO this coming year. There plans are based on 3 terms, so it would be best (and less work) for us to follow that. This will be our first year that we will stick to a normal school routine during Advent. I usually change things up a little and this is where we get derailed. Note to self is to make sure everything is finished up before Christmas break (no mid-lesson stopping or middle of a chapter stopping, lol)!

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2015 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Yes, I've given up on special Advent/Lent/Easter reading. I can't figure out how to do that without derailment, either. So we just do our "live the season" thing, fairly simply, and otherwise carry on as usual.

Sally

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2015 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

And my scheduling is becoming more like AO's, though I'm not really doing AO. We're mostly MA, but with a lot of own-shelf-shopping and substitution of free ebooks.

Sally

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 12 2015 at 4:33am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SallyT wrote:
Yes, I've given up on special Advent/Lent/Easter reading. I can't figure out how to do that without derailment, either. So we just do our "live the season" thing, fairly simply, and otherwise carry on as usual.

Sally

I started adding some of these to our read aloud basket this year instead of attempting to assign them independently.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version