Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Dd too Tall for Jeans - Ideas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 04 2015 at 2:28am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Dd13 is struggling to find jeans and pants that reach her ankles. She is very tall and slim, 5ft 10 and still growing, and quite slender; an Australian 8, which is an American 4, UK 6.

Any ideas or suggestions on how we could solve this challenge?
My mum suggested sewing a funky cuff to the bottom and adding a sash in matching fabric to tie it together. Anyone done this? Any other ideas?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2015 at 5:22am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Lots of American stores sells "tall" jeans. Is this not a sizing option in Australia?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2015 at 6:19am | IP Logged Quote Erin

They do for the men's clothing but not women's.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2015 at 6:30am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Wow! That is strange. And I'm sure it would cost a lot to order from America and still not be certain about sizing. Though even in America, most of the tall sizes are available through catalog and not usually in the stores.

Rolled jeans are becoming quite popular here again (hello 80's ), so instead of contrasting fabric, you could add-on the bottoms of similar colored jeans and make a rolled cuff that covered the seam? Here is a picture of tall jeans rolled

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2015 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Also, maybe for winter, buy her tall, stylish boots that she can tuck her jeans into? Then she can wear jeans that are too short and stay warm and cute.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2015 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Being in the US and a woman (not a young women) I might not be much help but I have to mail order all the pants that I wear.

I have been 5'10" since I was 12, which actually seemed taller then. I think girls are getting taller!!!! I never had a pair of pants that fit me well. I do wear lots of skirts, but even there I need to be careful in how short it is.

Boden is one of my favorite stores because almost all of their dresses, skirts and pants come in talls. They run lots of email sales that I try to shop them because they are pricy. Maybe they will be accessible to you because they are an English based store?

For the last few years I have only purchased JAG jeans. They have some styles that are longer because they are meant to be worn with heels.    I usually get them through Zappos You can search through the choices for inseam which really helps!!!

Besides that I don't know what to offer besides that I struggle with this too and I don't even feel all that tall any more.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2015 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Just bought the boots today She even researched them online, rang the store and in we went. $50 down to $20 and they are gorgeous. This girl has style

Still she wants jeans for home too and she doesn't wear boots around the house, slippers maybe in winter

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2015 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Lindsay and Betsy

Thank you!! You have put me onto mail order, it never even occurred to me. Just did some google searching and there is such a thing as tall jeans in Australia!(just not in our local store chain shops)

They have cool names such as 'Vertically Blessed' and "Tall By Design" love the names!

Oh and Bestsy thanks for the Jag tip, we do have Jag jeans I think in one of our stores (not one I normally shop in) and I'm a big op-shop (thrift) buyer and I do see Jag occasionally there.

What do you mean by inseam helps?
Any other tips with any clothing will be greatly appreciated. Sympathy heading your way

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2015 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I think Betsy means that your daughter should measure her inseam (use her favorite pair of trousers for this) so you know what inseam length to order. For example, my son's inseam is 32 inches. In the USA, most women's clothing sizes don't include inseams, but if you are tall, you can look at a size chart (online or in the catalog) to see what inseam length is associated with each size.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2015 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

guitarnan wrote:
I think Betsy means that your daughter should measure her inseam (use her favorite pair of trousers for this) so you know what inseam length to order. For example, my son's inseam is 32 inches. In the USA, most women's clothing sizes don't include inseams, but if you are tall, you can look at a size chart (online or in the catalog) to see what inseam length is associated with each size.

Yes! That is what I meant. Through Zappos.com you can search pants based on inseam size! My dh is taller than me but his inseam size is 34 and mine is 35.

I hope some of the tall stores work for you. In USA we have some tall stores, but they seems to cater to women that are at least 6' tall. Where as the name brands that carry tall online (Eddie Bauer, Talbots, Ann Taylor, Gap) are more tailored for about 5'10'-6'.   It's a trial and error process to find the brands that work...as always!!!!!

I love boots! Just for this reason you mentioned.   I also wear some regular length pants as is with the bottom rolled up with flats. They look like ankle skimmers or cropped pants.

As for thrift shopping, I have conceded that I just need to find a few good pairs of pants (that usually are full price or near that) and then thrift for my tops, which I have an easy time fitting into.

I found the book It's So You! a few years ago and it really helped me in this regard. One of her big points is using only 8 pieces of clothes that all go together to create and infinite amount of outfits with mixing and matching.   It helped me feel more confident in spending the extra $$ on a few parts of pants (and possible having them altered to fit) and KNOW that they would work with the rest of what I owned.

I still struggle finding great pants but at least when I find a pair I really get my milage out of it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version