Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Too much grammar? Need help with decision Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 25 2015 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

I have too many grammar programs!

I'm working on next year's grammar plans for my (will be) 11 yo ds (will be 6th grade). I just need a little advice or help with my choices.

This year we used both (but not at the same time) Winston Grammar and IEW's Fix It. They are very similiar programs and Fix It has won me over. I thought it needed more instruction but I recently noticed it has a grammar glossary in the back which had the extra instruction I was looking for. We didn't finish either program this year but got through most of the basic grammar in Winston and about 12 weeks of the Fix It.

I want to continue with the Fix It next year and finish it (I have the second book in the series already on my shelf too. I do not have the next Winston Grammar program and that would be another purchase and a good reason to stick with Fix It).

But, I also have Lingua Mater Language Lessons From Literature on my shelf too (found it really cheap new on Amazon one day and couldn't resist purchasing not knowing if I even needed it). I've been going through that all day today. It is a completely different approach and has some writing. I like it too.

I know doing both Fix It and Lingua Mater would be too much grammar . . . . right? I just really like them both and want to use them both. I know ds would like the Fix It better and would complain about the front cover of the Lingua Mater book (which has girls on the front) and tell me the book is for girls. (Which would explain why I like the book so much!)

I know it looks like I have my decision made but I just keep drooling over the LM book. Help!

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2015 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Hi Cassie,
I have used both Fix It and Lingua Mater. I think the emphasis is different. While Fix It is mostly about editing and improving passages already written, LM has more opportunity for the student to write his own. Could you use them side by side with the intention of only partially completing them? You might even go through the LM book and note the lessons that would be interesting for your boys (so they wouldn't think it's all girly stuff). That way, they would get the benefits of both resources without being overwhelmed.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2015 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

Becky, I can see them being used side by side too. I just don't know if it's necessary or too much. I would take two years to do LM if I used it. I would certainly skip some of the writing assignments because my son isn't going to write about how reading that poem made him feel. The Fix It program is mostly reviewing everything taught in the end, so if mastered it could be skipped or used less often.

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version