Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Current events Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
roomintheheart
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 14 2015 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote roomintheheart

I'm wondering what, if anything, you use to cover current events? We are currently living in a bubble, and it's probably time to let my girls out a little.
Back to Top View roomintheheart's Profile Search for other posts by roomintheheart

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2015 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Our kids read Student News Daily Each day at dinner we do discuss something from current events. World Magazine and God's World News are good - though I quit on them when they had an issue which called Catholicism "a cult"!!!

I send my teens articles from Crisis magazine, Catholic exchange, National Catholic Register and Zenit. I keep wanting to set up a blog or something where I link these articles for them to read (I don't have facebook otherwise I would like them)

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

KellyB
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 17 2015 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote KellyB

I am struggling with this as well, as I would prefer to continue to live in a bubble! In fact, I could have written your post word-for-word (except I have boys). What I am working toward is finding a way to keep up with current events myself, and then sharing something now and then. (I tend to shy away from daily news - I get overwhelmed easily).

Sometimes I will simply mention an event during prayer time, or they might hear about something at Mass during the intercessions and they might ask a question about it. I don't think we will "do" current events, but will continue to talk about things as they arise in day-to-day life. I don't want to burden them with too much too soon - there is time. A slow progression is how I hope to manage it.
Back to Top View KellyB's Profile Search for other posts by KellyB

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 23 2015 at 1:26am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

These are some old thread but they have some good ideas for approaches to covering current events and also resources to use

Current Events for Kids

Current Events Reading Recommendations

Teens and Current Events

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2015 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

We live in a bubble here and love it!

But, my son had to watch the national news one week for a scout requirement, so I came up with an alternative to that. He watched the CNN student news (and still does since he enjoyed coming out of the bubble). Discussion I think is key. I can't watch them with him so he must give me a narration afterwards to catch anything that needs to be discussed. We also have had talks about agenda, misleading news stories, and how the news can be faulty. Surprisingly he will bring up things that we do need to discuss.

My teen also reads part of our local diocese Catholic paper that comes out weekly (bimonthly in the summer). This has been a great resource. I will probably have my youngest start reading this soon too.

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version