Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Rate your science for the year Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 13 2015 at 6:27am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

How did science go down at your house this year?
What did you use? Are you happy with it?

Here we started off with Behold and See Five.

We really liked Dr. Beresford's conversational style and the gorgeous pictures throughout the book. The experiments and activities were very boy friendly (digging worms, collecting rocks, finding and observing a wild pet (we had a crayfish in a tank on our back porch for three weeks).

I also liked the emphasis on keeping a science notebook (many activities were recorded/sketched in the the 5x7 blank sketch book). Also- the author talks a lot about investigating and questioning, fact vs. opinion, etc.

The student workbook was just that- a workbook- fill in the blank, matching, etc. Not too exciting, and we didn't do much with it. I would pass on it next time.

Overall score: 9/10

Because we enjoyed B&S 5 so much, we blazed through it. What do to next?

I picked up Forensic Investigations: Using Science to Solve Crime on a whim from Paperback Swap a couple of years ago and brought it out.

It has been a huge hit here- so much fun and so many neat things to learn. It is set up to be a middle school science book- using science to solve crime. We have studied finger printing (neat activity for that), soil acidity, reading body language and facial expressions, animal tracks, DNA printing, lip and foot prints, and paper chromotography to name a few.

What I have enjoyed is that each chapter has a crime to solve using the technique we are learning about. We really have to talk about the suspects and the evidence: motives, opportunity, witnesses, etc. The crimes are not gory- they are all set in a middle school, which has been interesting and has really held my kids' attention.

The experiments are fairly easy to do- I did have to buy ph paper, but I had plaster of paris (for making foot print casts) on hand. Our only fail was an experiment that required acetone soluble lipstick... I wasn't sure how to tell if lipstick was acetone soluble , and as luck would have it, none of mine were.

Anyway: 9/10 for this one, too

Some of our science reads this year:
Secrets of a Wildlife Watcher (Arnosky): 10/10 from ds
Ship (David McCauley): 9/10 from ds
The Story of Thomas Alva Edison (Landmark): 10/10
The Mystery of the Periodic Table: 6/10... very interesting in parts, but somewhat wordy and tended to be confusing (even to me) in parts. Not our favorite
Outdoor Secrets: 6/10 from dd. She though it was OK but got a little tired of talking plants
Minn of the Mississippi: 4/10... just could not get into this one. Our biggest fail of the year.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2015 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

We used Noeo Physics II this year, and although I've liked Noeo in the past, this year was just not a good fit for the family. We are enjoying the book Archimedes and the Door of Science, which was one of the scheduled books, but otherwise we were underwhelmed.

I think one of the problems for us was that we have used Noeo for two previous years, and so science turned out to be more of the same this year. I'm terrible at scheduling regular experiments because they seem to take half the day, and the internet links, which previously had been part of the fun of the program, became tedious and monotonous after two years of doing them.

I am thinking of doing Sassafras Anatomy next year, which will be really fun for the younger three. I may add in some selections for my older son to do independently, but we need a fresh, fun start for next year.

The best part of science this year was the memorization they did with Classically Catholic Memory, and the fun experiments that they did at our CCM co-op. I can always count on the science teacher there to find something fun for them to do. It was nice, too, that what we studied in CCM was in-line with what we were studying at home all year.   

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 13 2015 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I didn't do the whole program, but my oldest really loved reading the Sassafrass Anatomy book as a part of Mater Amabilis, Level 2, Year 2. It is not assigned, but he finished up Blood and Guts and Galen and the Gateway to Science, and I got it because he liked the Zoology book so much. He ended up doing one of those sneaky things where he sneaks the book and reads the whole thing instead of just a chapter a week

I must admit that I've not done much by way of formal science with the younger set this year. We did all really enjoy the Nova special on Netflix, Hunting the Elements. I think that The Mystery of the Periodic Table probably makes a lot more sense after seeing it. My oldest started reading it on his own after he watched the documentary, though I admit, I have not asked him about it to know if he finished or whether he especially liked it.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 14 2015 at 1:25am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We are doing high school Biology at our co-op. General stuff - nothing really to rate. It has gone well.

But some great science themed books recently published that are new to me this year. They are resource or spine type books I would use.
Molecules: The Elements and the Architecture of Everything by Theodore Gray and Nick Man who also did the similar Elements book earlier.

The Secret Language of Color: Science, Nature, History, Culture, Beauty of Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, & Violet by Joann Eckstut

Animalium by Jenny Broom and Katie Scott

Nature Anatomy: The Curious Parts and Pieces of the Natural World by Julia Rothman (that Ellie introduced me to!)

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 14 2015 at 1:35am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Some new picture books that I rate highly 9/10 or more:

Egg: Nature's Perfect Package by Robin Page

Feathers: Not Just for Flyingby Melissa Stewart

Anticipating this one will be fantastic too. It is being released soon - have it on hold for when library gets it.
A Nest Is Noisy by Dianna Hutts Aston

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2015 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Thanks for the book suggestions, Mary. I am planning to check those out!

Monica- Your comment about Noeo science really struck me. Yes, that's it- it's easy to get bored with the same format over and over. It's not that the program suddenly becomes bad; it's just nice to have a change.

Last fall the Sassafras Botany series was not complete- the teacher's guide was not available yet, so we went with a different science program. Looking back, I am so glad we did. It was a good break that allowed us to enjoy a different format.

This fall I think we will cycle back to the botany, as it is one subject that we have not covered in depth, and Sassafras anatomy was excellent. We had so much fun and learned so much with the dissections and other experiments (all the info for those is in the teacher's guide). The story drove me batty at times, but the kids loved it.

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2015 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

SeaStar wrote:
Sassafras anatomy was excellent. We had so much fun and learned so much with the dissections and other experiments (all the info for those is in the teacher's guide). The story drove me batty at times, but the kids loved it.

Glad to hear that! I am looking forward to a science that all four kids can be excited about. Since my two younger ones love to color and draw, I think the Sassafras lapbook will be a good addition for them. My older two can use the logbook.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2015 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

CrunchyMom wrote:
I didn't do the whole program, but my oldest really loved reading the Sassafrass Anatomy book as a part of Mater Amabilis, Level 2, Year 2. It is not assigned, but he finished up Blood and Guts and Galen and the Gateway to Science, and I got it because he liked the Zoology book so much. He ended up doing one of those sneaky things where he sneaks the book and reads the whole thing instead of just a chapter a week

I must admit that I've not done much by way of formal science with the younger set this year. We did all really enjoy the Nova special on Netflix, Hunting the Elements. I think that The Mystery of the Periodic Table probably makes a lot more sense after seeing it. My oldest started reading it on his own after he watched the documentary, though I admit, I have not asked him about it to know if he finished or whether he especially liked it.

LIndsay- Thanks for the tip about the Nova show. It is streaming for free right now with Amazon Prime, and we watched some of it this afternoon Ds loved it- and I enjoyed it very much as well.

I hope it will help us with The Mystery of the Periodic Table.
I am reading it along with ds (for narration/discussion purposes), and I have to say it is a tough read for me as well. I want to love, or even like this book, but there are a lot of discussions about chemical equations and many references to the old names for chemicals, such as muracetic acid, and after awhile it all runs together for me.   

I suppose that if I really, really loved chemistry and math, this book might grab me. There is a little bit about the personalities of the scientists, and those spots are the little life preservers that keep me afloat in this book.

I have to say that this has made me glad that I am reading it along with ds. We both want to like it and so grapple with it, but neither one of us is really enjoying it. He complains about it, and I can truly feel his pain.
It is a stretch for us, but in the long run I have to wonder how much of this either of us will retain.

setonmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 20 2015 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote setonmom

My idea for next year is to replace 6th grade science with 4H projects- maybe one project per quarter.( Some projects are wildlife, soil and water conservation, geology, and wildflowers.) I just need to figure out a way to build in some accountability so that the projects actually get done.
Back to Top View setonmom's Profile Search for other posts by setonmom

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 20 2015 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

setonmom wrote:
My idea for next year is to replace 6th grade science with 4H projects- maybe one project per quarter.( Some projects are wildlife, soil and water conservation, geology, and wildflowers.) I just need to figure out a way to build in some accountability so that the projects actually get done.

What a fun idea! WOuld you do this on your own or through an actual 4H program (to help the accountability issue)?

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2015 at 12:59am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Science is really relaxed and fun around here.

We finished off the First Human Body Encyclopedia with my 2nd grader. It was fun...

The 6th grader has started to do more heavy lifting with the Secrets of the Universe series like Matter and Energy. He usually just read the chapter, narrated it to me... copied out the law that was presented... and then we found a corresponding Bill Nye video or other youtube bit just to fill it in.

Nature Friend Magazine is always enjoyed...

And we do the "Let's Read and Find Out" books throughout the year, just randomly.

setonmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 21 2015 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote setonmom

SeaStar- I would do it through our county 4H. There would be activities in a book we would need to complete and then a poster or binder presentation on the topic covered. You could really learn a lot, plus it involves learning writing skills and presentation skills.
Back to Top View setonmom's Profile Search for other posts by setonmom

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 23 2015 at 1:12am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:

Anticipating this one will be fantastic too. It is being released soon - have it on hold for when library gets it.
A Nest Is Noisy by Dianna Hutts Aston

It is a lovely continuation of the precious series. Includes all kinds of nests (fish, alligators, frogs, hornets, prairie god, etc.) not just birds.

Adding another very intriguing science themed picture book , just published, I just read today.

Mesmerized: How Ben Franklin Solved a Mystery that Baffled All of France by Mara Rockliff

I had no idea of the origin of the word "mesmerized." This is the story Dr. Mesmer and his magical curing force. Ben Franklin and others showed his cures were the product of hypnosis/suggestion. Covers the topic of scientific method, hypothesis, placebo effect. Great historical look at a science topic.

Brief History of Dr. Mesmer and Ben Franklin

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version