Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: good movies about world war 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
countrymom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 04 2015 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote countrymom

I have a teen who is interested in this topic. Unforutnately he brought home a garbage movie called Rage which has Brad Pitt in it, and basically has no redeeming value.
I am not opposed to violence, since he is 17 1/2 and the reality of war is horrible...but the movie must have a deeper message. Preferably a Catholic message of hope and redemption amongst the suffering.
Can anyone recommend good movies, or ask their husbands if they can recommend any?
Back to Top View countrymom's Profile Search for other posts by countrymom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2015 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We love so many of the old movies! I gree up watching them with my dad, and funnily, one of the first conversations dh and I ever had was about old WWII movies. He always jokes, "You had me at M16 assault rifle" though I'm pretty sure I never said that

Here is a good list I just found, and it has many of my favorites!

Off the top of my head, I don't see The Guns of Navarone or In Harm's Way, but it looks a thorough list. There are even a few I haven't seen that I will have to add to our Netflix Queue.

If you want something modern, the HBO mini-series, Band of Brothers is really quite good. There is just one really unnecessary scene of s-x, but I think you could avoid it if you pre-watched or were quick to skip it.

There is also a new film, The Monuments Men, that is interesting, but it isn't as good as the classics on the list I linked.

For the most part, I have been really disappointed with most of the recent movies depicting the war.

There are a couple of options for WWI, though. War Horse was quite good, and there is an Australian mini-series called Anzac Girls that offers a unique glimpse at the war.

Joyeaux Noel is a stunning film. There are some intimate moments between the main couple, but I think that it is just wonderful. It communicates so well the tragedy that WWI was, and you really need to understand WWI to understand WWII, imo.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2015 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Oh, and The Scarlet and the Black is probably the most Catholic of the WWII movies

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2015 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We have had a few previous discussions on recommended movies.

WWII movies for kids

Appropriate WWII Movies

I watched many a war movie with my father, too. I agree with most of what Lindsay says, although I really liked Monuments Men.

I prefer less battle scenes in movies I watch. Below is a list of WWII movies I really enjoyed that aren't on the list or recommendations Lindsay has. The first bunch are about prison or concentration camps or stuff against Jews. The others are a variety, some comedies, some about the home-front.

I didn't list the movies, but you can't go wrong with any war movies with John Wayne, Gregory Peck or Spencer Tracy. While they might not be super accurate, they won't need lots of editing, either.

Empire of the Sun
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
The Pianist
Schindler's List
Life is Beautiful
Judgment at Nuremberg

To Be or Not to Be
Stalag 17 (one of my favorites)
36 Hours (another favorite)
Swing Kids
Mrs. Miniver
Americanization of Emily
Heaven Knows Mr. Allison (another favorite)
The Best Years of Our Lives
Since You Went Away
Battle of the Bulge
Memphis Belle
The Fighting Sullivans
Mister Roberts
Father Goose

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2015 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Great list, Jenn!

And I did like Monuments Men, but I watched so many of the older ones over and over and would watch them again. I think Monuments Men was good, just not in the category of a classic.

It is funny looking at your list and seeing Memphis Belle. We loved that movie! But we'd recorded off of television and watched it that way. Then, when I finally saw the original, I couldn't believe the language. (which, btw, I think it is fine for a 17 year old--certainly it must be pretty representative of the time and place). I can't tell you how many of my favorite childhood movies I wish I could have the edited for television versions of so I would feel more comfortable sharing them with my children. I understand directors wanting the dvds released to be true to their vision, but I really wish there was an option for that!!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2015 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

As an example of being really disappointed, I grew up watching Tora, Tora, Tora. Then, when I was in college, Pearl Harbor came out. Oh my, it is DREADFUL. It isn't offensive or anything, just a lousy movie that doesn't even do a good job of portraying the invasion of Pearl Harbor accurately. Stick with Tora, Tora, Tora!!!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2015 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Totally agree, Lindsay!

Note that this list is not reflective of movies I've watched with my young sons! That will be selective and gradual.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary's daughter
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 05 2015 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote Mary's daughter

The Longest Day is our favorite!

Stephanie
Back to Top View Mary's daughter's Profile Search for other posts by Mary's daughter

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version