Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Special Blessings
 4Real Forums : Special Blessings
Subject Topic: Psychologist Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 02 2015 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

We've finally decided it's time to get an actual diagnosis for my ds with ADHD. I know he has it from my experience as a classroom teacher. So far we've been able to handle it. But now he's in 8th grade, and I don't know if it's hormones from puberty or just 8th grade defiance but we're really struggling. I'm hoping that by taking him to a psychologist we can get an actual diagnosis as well as some help. I want to avoid medication but I'm praying about that. Has anyone been in this situation that could advise me before our first visit? I guess I just don't know what to expect and I'm a little nervous.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2015 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

We are in the same boat so I will be following this. We had an appointment, but lost our insurance so cancelled and are floundering a bit now. I also want to know what to expect.

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 07 2015 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

I have a 15 yo with diagnosed ADHD combined type. He was diagnosed by a neuropsychologist when he was 9. With testing, you can sort out a lot more than just ADHD as sometimes it is a combination of issues such as slow processing, low working memory, learning disabilities, etc. We were not in favor of trying meds at that age. At age 11, we tried him on a mild one (non-stimulant) for a few years and although it helped a bit at first, it mostly made him tired. After a lot of trial and error, he is finally on one that seems to be working for him. I know some people have luck with alternative methods such as changing nutrition, various therapies, supplements, etc. But it seems as they get older it is a lot more difficult to change their habits and they can be resistant and look at it as a punishment of some sort. They really need to be motivated to change and that goes for trying meds as well. Ds was very resistant for quite a while but now realizes it makes a big difference for him.
I would encourage you to go ahead and get a diagnosis. You need a paper trail if he needs accomodations on college testing, etc. I would ask for recommendations from others and call and ask questions ahead of time. It can take months to get an appointment so you might want to keep that in mind. We had one psychologist who was very negative in regard to homeschooling and you definitely don't want to deal with someone like that.
If I didn't answer your concerns please feel free to ask again!
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2015 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I am curious about what to expect, too, aside from sticker shock. I am calling around to look into testing for dyslexia, etc... for my 8 year old, and it is so expensive! I don't think he has ADHD, though it is possible he has mild ADD, but I primarily want the full battery of educational tests so I can better understand how he thinks and learns best so I can make positive choices for him.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2015 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Anneof 5 wrote:
I With testing, you can sort out a lot more than just ADHD as sometimes it is a combination of issues such as slow processing, low working memory, learning disabilities, etc.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for Anne of 5. Thank you for sharing your experience. We have an appointment in about 3 weeks so it didn't take too long to get in. (Small town benefit I guess.) I have no idea how this psychologist feels about homeschooling so I'm taking a risk. I'm praying this will be a good experience. We need one!

3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 10 2015 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

I will pray that it's a good experience!

We started the Feingold food program 2 years ago on the advice of another Catholic HS family and have found much success. It would have to be something your DS was willing to try, though. As PP mentioned, it's difficult to change the habits of older kids.

I heard of the benefits of neuro feedback, but we haven't gotten around to trying it.

Back to Top View 3ringcircus's Profile Search for other posts by 3ringcircus

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2015 at 6:19am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I've looked at Feingold in the past Christine. We are already mostly gluten free and dairy free because I have younger boys that have issues with these two foods, and since I know food dies cause problems with kids with ADHD we rarely have treats that contain them.

I think it would be hard, on top of everything else, but I'll revisit it. Anything I can do to help my son is worth the effort. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version