Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: 400th Anniversary Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 30 2006 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

In browsing a paper this morning, I found out that this 2006-2007 is the 400th anniversary of the settling of Jamestown. Alexandria, VA kicked off some celebrations this weekend.

For more, see Virtual Jamestown
Jamestown and York
Jamestown

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2006 at 11:55pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

When we were in Jamestowne in October, they were getting ready for this. It should be quite a to-do!

On the topic of Jamestowne, we went to see the movie, "The New World". It was long, and short on conversation,with a few questionable scenes BUT I thought it was about as close to being back in time in the real Jamestowne as any of us will ever get. The producers worked closely with the Jamestowne historians and archaeologists, and the film was made right there on the banks of the James River (as opposed to being filmed in, say, Romania!). Even the outfit the actress Pocahontas wore when she met King James jived with the actual costume she wore as depicted in paintings of the grand occasion!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

dsauclair
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 01 2006 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote dsauclair

My dd4 and dd2.5 visited the replica of Godspeed in Old Town Alexandria today and found a few interesting things to do. There's the tour of Godspeed (they let the school groups ahead of the public which means a long wait), the interactive exhibit, and the handprint project (where the kids trace their hands and write messages on red/blue/white felt to be included in a gigantic flag to be displayed next year).

Unfortunately, they cancelled a show that was highly recommended for kids -- “Ba-baah and the Windigo,” an original children’s show, telling the story of 1607 from the perspective of a young Indian girl and some of the indigenous animals present when the ships first arrived. Perhaps because we were the only ones waiting for the show!?

Here's free access to resources for K-12. You do have to register.

Diane
Back to Top View dsauclair's Profile Search for other posts by dsauclair

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2006 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

We are thinking about planning a trip to this area. Can anyone tell me if the weather is likely to be unbearably hot in this area in, say, September???

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2006 at 12:13am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

September can be hot, but probably not unbearably hot. Then again, you're talking to a Floridian here---Virginia hot can't hold a candle to Florida hot! Still, the later in September the better. We were there in October (8th-18th) last year and we had a few warmish days, but on the whole, the weather was delightful.

Kelly

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2006 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I would love to go in Oct.

What if your only option was to go in late July/early August??? That's when dh has time off. Should we try anyway, or will the heat be so unbearable we should head north, instead?

I'm also wondering, how many days is enough to hit all three sites in the historic triangle?

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2006 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

July and August are, well, pretty hot and humid. You also have to have a backup plan in case a hurricane comes, although you would have plenty of warning. The historic areas are inland (no flooding) but you would have torrential rain and hot, humid weather. (Don't panic; most of the Tidewater/Peninsula hurricanes haven't affected the Historic Triangle at all. It's just the heavy rain they bring that could mess up a trip.)

If you've never been to any of the sites, you will need at least one day in Williamsburg (rent the costumes for kids...they get to do special, cool stuff!), and one day in Jamestown, and probably a day to do the two spots in Yorktown if you are interested in both. Some families can take 2-3 days to do Williamsburg alone, but my hands-on, humidity-hating 13 and 7-year-olds had a good time on 1 day...that was plenty. Too much history can be, well, daunting. If you're going in summer, maybe a day at Water Country USA or Busch Gardens could break up the history emphasis a bit.

Early September is just as hot as late August. By mid-Sept., things are cooling off a tiny bit. Late Sept./early Oct. is a great time to visit, although there can still be heavy downpours. There are no mountains to break up the storms, so they tend to be big regardless of time of year.

I'd suggest taking it slowly and easily in hot weather. Seeing *everything* isn't as memorable as enjoying the things you do see. In Williamsburg, there are some great talks by re-enactors (the outdoor theater comes to mind), in which your kids might be chosen to participate. They take up a chunk of time, but who could forget being on stage, or seeing a brother or sister on stage?

Another great intro to W'burg is reading the American Girl Felicity series or watching the DVD movie. Then...ask the children to compare what they see in the DVD, especially the Governor's Palace, to what actually exists in Williamsburg. The historical facts (aside from the Palace) in the books and DVD are very accurately represented.

Hotels in Williamsburg are overpriced for what you get, but with the price of gasoline being so high, staying on the south side (Norfolk/Virginia Beach) is not a cost-effective option unless you're military or can get a great deal. The driving distance and traffic can be extremely frustrating. It's nice to stay in the W'burg area and have the convenience of retreating to your hotel if you are hot or tired, or if little ones need naps. If you can find a hotel with a fridge and/or microwave, you can save a bit on breakfast and snacks.

Williamsburg is the kind of place where you'd want to jump into a pool during July or August. It's quite sticky. Some of the older motels don't have pools. (Guess how I know!)

If anyone reading this is military/DOD, please PM me for more lodging options.

Hope this helps. I love this corner of the USA and the colonial period in general...I have wonderful photos of my son climbing on cannons in Yorktown, and of my kids watering a garden in Williamsburg...it's just good fun!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2006 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Well, since *we're* on our way to Virginia in July/August, I guess I can't say much against that idea Unless you're really heat sensitive, I'd say to go for it. It WILL be hot and humid, but you drink lots, go real slow and hover around the airconditioned areas as much as possible. Take in as many evening activities as possible. We really, really enjoyed the trials that take they put on in the House of Burgesses at night, as well as the candlelight tours and concerts. The candlelit Palace harpsichord concert and the concert at Bruton Church (free!) were fabulous. And for dinner- remember these two key words: Shields Tavern. There you can eat reasonably well for a reasonable amount(considering it's in the historic area), no reservations, a la carte...but still by candlelight, and occasionally, live fiddle music or singing. And they make a GREAT hot latte! Also, we invested in the Williamsburg plastic refillable mugs right at the very outset of our visit, and it was well worth it by the time we left. You can refill soda pop and lemonade for free all over the historic area at key spots, just remember to haul your mugs around with you!

We stayed a week, which enabled us to spend a day and a half at Jamestowne, a day at Yorktown, and the rest in Williamsburg. I think you'd need a minimum of four days (2 in Williamsburg, 1 in Jamestowne, 1 in Yorktown) to make it worthwhile. We covered a lot of territory in that week, but we all agreed-children and adults alike--that we could have stayed longer.

Hope you get to go!

Kelly in FL

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2006 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

For hotels, I forgot to mention one of our favorite places there-and it used to be reasonable-the Quality Inn Lord Paget. It's just a five minute drive to the historic area, and they DO have a pool. My old corporate-lawyer brother, who had plenty of opportunity to stay in fancier places, always stayed at the Lord Paget. Just be sure you ask for a non-smoking room! I can't vouce for the quality of the place of late-we had to stay elsewhere this past visit because my kids had online classes and had to have highspeed internet in the rooms, which the Lord Paget didn't have at that time---but my experience during many past visits was always a pleasant one: a little old fashioned, a scosh threadbare, but a lovely old-timey motel-y atmosphere with nice ambience that we always enjoyed. And convenient.

Kelly in FL

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version