Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: House With Cemetery on Property Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MomTo8
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 23 2015 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote MomTo8

Hi, I wanted to get your opinions on buying an old farmhouse that includes a family burial site on the property. The farmhouse was built in the 1880's and includes a family cemetery with 66 burial markers. The history buff in me thinks this is so neat, but my kids say they would be creeped out! Any opinions/thoughts? The property is 5 acres, but the cemetery is very close to the house, not on the other end of the property.
Back to Top View MomTo8's Profile Search for other posts by MomTo8

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2015 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Wow - what an interesting opportunity - and likely a great house and property. I would vacillate being being completely enthralled and being creeped out. I love cemeteries - I think they are fascinating and so full of history. But I am not sure how I about this proximity. My head would say fine, but emotions can be a factor. The fact that the kids are against it could be an issue. I have one child that is very fearful of so many things and his reaction could have made a similar living situation very trying - he was always scared. When I was in middle school there was a girl in our class whose father was a caretaker at a big cemetery in the city -they lived in a house on property. She always used to host a Halloween party .

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2015 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

You might ask your family if anything could take away their concerns, such as fencing off the cemetery or having a priest bless the house and cemetery. But, as Mary said, if the worries go beyond the superficial, living near the cemetery might be difficult.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 24 2015 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

How would this affect your property rights

Can you legally remove the graves? Are you legally required to maintain them in a certain manner or allow public access to them? Could the graves affect the property in other ways, such as contaminating water lines? (They shouldn't in theory bc that should have been avoided, but people don't always build and plan ahead like they should.)

My dh would be an adament no way no how.

Wouldn't bother me in the least.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2015 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I don't think it would bother me either. I was wondering if anything is known about the religion or faith of those buried there. When I first read your post, I thought it would be an amazing opportunity for your family to do corporal (caring for sites) and spiritual (praying for the dead) works of mercy. The whole things sounds fascinating to me.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 25 2015 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Erica Sanchez wrote:
I thought it would be an amazing opportunity for your family to do corporal (caring for sites) and spiritual (praying for the dead) works of mercy.

That aspect never occurred to me. That is an awesome way to think about it.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 25 2015 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I would be fine with it most of the time.. but I know that there would come a time, sooner or later, when I'm by myself, or dealing with a bit of insomnia and my imagination would start to get the best of me and I'd scare myself silly.

It would have been worse as a child. I loved the old cemeteries during the day. There was one we'd go by when out horseback riding and it was always so cool and peaceful (lots of mature trees). But after dark it would be way to easy to get caught up in imagination.. I had a toad outside my bedroom window that scared me to death.. his slow hops sounded like footsteps.

I really don't think I would choose it because of that. Worse now.. I would have been scared of ghosts but Zombies are so popular that it's hard to miss references to them.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2015 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

We grew up on a farm with an old family plot. I guess I never really thought about it much.

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 03 2015 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Wouldn't bother me either, but then I'm the mother who drags my kids off to cemeteries to do headstone rubbings and bring along a picnic. Kids think it all soo boring.

However if your children are generally creeped out I guess that's a big obstacle.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 03 2015 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I would have no problem with it at all. And if you had the right to bury your own family, that would be just heaven for me. There are so many restrictions and expenses with burials and plots now.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2015 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

My grandparents' house has a very old graveyard -- family graves dating from before the Civil War through the very early 1900s. I can't remember whether it creeped me out as a child, though in general I was a really creeped-out child: at my other grandparents' house, I was terrified of a portrait from the 1850s that hung over the living-room mantel, because I thought the young man in it looked like a vampire.

In the daytime, anyway, I was always really interested in the graves and wanted to look at them. And one of my sons' names comes straight off one of the headstones.

The house has been sold several times over since the early 1990s when my grandparents died, but the family retains ownership of the tiny plot that the graveyard is on (in the corner of the huge back yard). Since my uncle died, I'm not sure who, if anyone, maintains the graves. There has been talk of moving the bodies, but it hasn't happened yet.

Anyway, I think I would think that was cool and fascinating, and would "adopt" the people spiritually. All Souls Day would be amazing!

Sally

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version