Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living and Loving Numbers
 4Real Forums : Living and Loving Numbers
Subject Topic: Math for visual learner Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I'm looking for suggestions for math for my 8th grade son with ADHD. Like many kids in this group, he is right brained and a visual learner. We have used Saxon for years, and I was hoping we could just continue but he is now in Algebra 1/2 and struggling quite a bit. I'm afraid that algebra I is going to be too difficult, and I am terrible at math so unable to help very much.

Any suggestions on a visual math for the high school level?

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2015 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Becky-

Video Text Algebra might work for him if you have not yet found a solution.

I recently attended a lecture given by the creator at a HS conference, then I stopped by the booth later and had one of the reps go over the program with me.

The program is designed this way:

Day 1:
1. Student watches a 10-15 minute lesson
2. Student explains the lesson to someone else (mom, dad...)
3. Student does 10-12 problems to reinforce the lesson
4. Student checks his answers and finds his mistakes, corrects them

Day 2:
Student takes a quiz in the previous day's material to test retention and identify trouble areas (idea here is to spot the problems right away, as there is no point in going on if there are problems)

Day 3
Student completes another ten or so problems
Student checks his work as above

Day 4
Student reviews video lesson

I may have left out parts, but it is all very clearly laid out in the program, and it seems like a good match for a visual or audio learner.

HTH
(this program is not the same as Teaching Textbooks - for a long time I thought is was )

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2015 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I don't have any personal experience with my own right brained thinker since he is only 8, but I was reading recently about how to approach him, and one thing that rang true for me was an explanation of how right brained thinkers tend to be looking toward the end product and the big picture (of whatever it is), which is why they get bogged down in the details, not really recognizing their importance, and rush making careless mistakes.

Anyway, with all this still in my mind, I was looking at Jacob's Elementary Algebra as part of my long term thinking/planning for my oldest, and I came across a review on Amazon that said "Great for Visual Thinkers" and said

Quote:
I began using this book to teach my own children after using Saxon Algebra I and II. I was amazed to discover that Jacobs covers ALL the algrbra from both Saxon Algrbra books in only one book and in much more simple language. (No Geometry is covered in Jacobs Algebra-- but Jacobs Geometry covers it more completely that Saxon.) Each lesson starts with a comic strip or interesting picture and builds the lesson on the comics. After one year with Jacobs my children understand how to find the formulas they need and why problems are solved the way the are. Problems that were complex with Saxon are explained simply and visually with Jacobs. Test scores are way up and math is fun again.

Cathy Duffy reviews it here, and also mentions at the end of her review a video series that teaches Jacobs using dvds, another plus for a visual learner.

I know you said that your son might not be ready for Algebra, but I thought I would throw out what I had found.

I have also heard that Math Mammoth is a really solid pre-algebra. Her recommendations might be worth looking over here.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2015 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Thanks so much Melinda and Lindsay. Melinda, I have seen Video Text advertised but thought it was just like Teaching Textbooks so didn't bother to look into it. I don't think Teaching Textbooks is bad, as a matter of fact I have been wondering if that is the route I should take. But I didn't even look into Video Text for that reason. Your explanation has me thinking that VT might be the better option.
And Lindsay - comic strip lessons! Yes, I think that might just get his attention! I'll look into Jacobs. My dd is currently using the Jacobs's Geometry.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 27 2015 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Video Text Algebra

For a long time I thought they were the same, too, Becky.

I also like that this course comes with a book of notes for the student that follows the lesson... for each lesson you get a page of the pertinent facts.

I bought Level One, and I really like that all the books are (4 in the set) are slim-ish- you are not going to pick up a book and say, Eek! I'll never be able to this!

There is also an online version that is much cheaper, plus Rainbow Resources carries this.

I love the comic book approach of Jacobs... just wish it was in print for a lower price!

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2015 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

SeaStar wrote:

I bought Level One, and I really like that all the books are (4 in the set) are slim-ish- you are not going to pick up a book and say, Eek! I'll never be able to this!

I'm a little confused about what would be considered "Algebra I". I see they have a "complete set". Does that include Algebra I and Algebra II? I guess my question is, What would I need for my son's first year of highschool?

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 27 2015 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Becky-

I copied this from the FAQ of website about Algebra:

Q. Which Modules of VideoText Algebra correspond to traditional Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 courses?

A. Remember that in traditional Algebra 1 classes, students are pushed very quickly through 70-80% of all Algebra, but it is taught very rapidly, and employs strategies that do not promote long term memory. Because of this, traditional Algebra 2 classes involve going back to the very beginning, and reteaching almost all of the Algebra 1, which may take 50-60% of the Algebra 2 year!

To be more specific, in the VideoText Algebra program, Modules A, B, C, D, and E constitute what is traditionally called “Algebra 1.” That means that you must include the material in all of these Modules if you are going to adequately compare VideoText Algebra to any other Algebra 1 course. Further, you must go back and start with Module B, (starting with Unit II, – “First Degree Relations with One Placeholder”), and continue through Modules C, D, E, and F, if you are going to compare VideoText Algebra to the algebraic concepts in any other Algebra 2 course.
(Return to top of page)

There is a lot more info that is helpful on the FAQ page.
I bought only module A to start with, to make sure it's a good fit for us (but my ds will only be Grade7 next year).

While I was at the booth, I saw parents sitting down with reps (and the author), and walking through where their kids were and where they would need to start. One mom there had a girl going into 9th that they both felt was behind in math (she was not a math fan). Their plan was to start at Level A (which would be easy for her) over the summer and work on up.
I bet if you called them up, they would walk you through it over the phone.

The author does use a different teaching approach than traditional texts.
He is all about helping kids learn logically.

Now, I attended one of his lectures. He is an older man with a very peppery personality- 100% energy, all the time.
You know how we've been talking about raising tough boys in the I've Lost the War thread?

My feeling is that this guy is one of those boys grown up. He is dynamic and persistent. He is up in arms about the crazy way our math is taught and on a mission to help kids understand and love math. He is so committed to this cause that he travels arounds and gives seminars free of charge to groups interested in his method- all you have to do is call and invite him.

So I am very anxious to try this program... in his lecture he talked all the things that scare and frustrate kids about math and why. He was so right on the money that everyone could not help but laugh.

Interestingly, he said the top three elementary/middle school math programs are: RightStart (Montessori-based, teaches kids to solve problems in logical ways), Math-U-See (great use of manipulatives and video to help kids learn in a logical way) and Singapore (good method for the kids, but he did say it was not easy for parents to learn how to teach).

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2015 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Thank you so much Melinda. This is all very helpful!
I'm going to approach my dh about it. Unfortunately, from our older two, we have all the Saxon books through highschool, so it's difficult to pay for another math program. This child is just a different thinker than the others, though, so I need to make the changes to fit him a little better!

One more question!    I would find a comparison of Video Text and Teaching Textbooks interesting to read. Have you come across anything like that?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version